The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 717

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

It is the NA-40!

Over to you, Green.

The Rhein Flugzeugbau RF-1 perhaps
    _
    gX

Here is another innovative design (for its time):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails u1u1u1.jpg  
    _
    gX

Gosh ! didn't even have to look up a book for this one - it's the S.E.4, Uli.

Mike, your memory is as sharp as ever! The S.E.4 it is
    _
    gX

Here's another nice bit of streamlining - maybe not as easy as you may think !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wssssb.jpg  

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Here's another nice bit of streamlining - maybe not as easy as you may think !
    Hi all!
    Looks very much like a Piero Magni PM2 but the landing gear doesn't fit....
    Cheers
    Carlo

Hi Carlo - I'm going to have to give you this, although you have confused me with the PM2 designation.

As far as my sources are concerned, this is the Magni Vittoria, which was altered in in six variations, A-F. This is the F, from 1925 !

Some sources refer to this as a sesquiplane because of the aerofoil struts..what difference do you see in the undercarriage, Carlo ?

Blog Entries
    Hi Carlo - I'm going to have to give you this, although you have confused me with the PM2 designation.

As far as my sources are concerned, this is the Magni Vittoria, which was altered in in six variations, A-F. This is the F, from 1925 !

Some sources refer to this as a sesquiplane because of the aerofoil struts..what difference do you see in the undercarriage, Carlo ?
    Thanks Mike!
    Well I didn't know that Piero Magni's PM2 "Vittoria" (I-BASF)... had so many variations….I'm attaching the only pic I have of this beautiful Aircraft and you can appreciate that the Landing gear (and several other particulars) are different from the image you have submitted….but as usual one thing is true: in the aviation field you learn something every day…
    https://imgur.com/a/VVjJ5UV
    Now it's dodo time but first thing Tomorrow (which means around noon my time) I promise to submit a new mystery!
    Cheers
    Carlo

Blog Entries
    Of course Mike as usual you're right! The pic I submitted is the PM3-1 "Vale" (which is the only one I have) but the picture you submitted is indeed the Piero Magni "Vittoria" F type…
    Cheers
    Carlo

Hi Carlo
    we look forward to your mystery - in the meantime, two more nice shots for your collection - the same Vittoria and a very nice shot of the Vale from Jonathan Thompson's book.....

Now that's what I call Italian flair !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wwbbbb.jpg   vale.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Hi Carlo
    we look forward to your mystery - in the meantime, two more nice shots for your collection - the same Vittoria and a very nice shot of the Vale from Jonathan Thompson's book.....

Now that's what I call Italian flair !
    Good morning Mike
    thanks very much indeed for the beatiful Vale's pic! Now I'm submitting today's mystery born in a country where planes with folding wings are rather unusual….
    Cheers
    Carlo
    https://imgur.com/a/91AqZKd

Based on the Polikarpov R-5 - the Grigorovich TsKB-23 ShON (Shturmovik Osobogo Naznachyeniya). To deal with unruly Basmachi Tribesmen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Green View Post
    Based on the Polikarpov R-5 - the Grigorovich TsKB-23 ShON (Shturmovik Osobogo Naznachyeniya). To deal with unruly Basmachi Tribesmen.
    Perfectly accurate Green! The only thing is that I have in my files Kocherigin instead of Grigorovich however it's Always a mess with russian names as the Whole thing came out as usual from TsAGI and probably both Grigorovich and Kocherigin worked on the very same project! compliments for the perfect transliteration of: Штурмовик оcобого назначения (special attack aircraft )
    Waiting for your mystery now!
    Cheers
    Carlo

Looks to be a Vultee, most likely a V-11.

Been some time since I pulled one from the grain bin...

This was the designer's only fully built aircraft as far as I know. He was some kind of aeronautical genius though as there is all manner of published theory from the early 1920's up until the start of the war.

Maybe the Akin Buckaroo?

Robert- Not the Akin as this one is from Europe. Known for participating in a 1923 event. It had a British built 10 hp engine but not from the UK.

Could it be one of the two Rene Arnoux Simplex monoplanes that competed at the Vauville Congrés of 1923? Both are similar and, so far, I haven't found photographs - but only three view drawings - of either against which to compare the photographs.