The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 685

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Maybe a different picture may help to identify her?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nd photo.jpg  

A "blind" search on aerofiles let me to the Rand-Robinson KR-3
    _
    gX

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi giruXX
    That`s her!

Here comes another bird from another place and another time. Enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails r3r3r3.jpg  
    _
    gX

Is that the 1908 Miller monoplane - which Jane describes as 'the first aeroplane designed and constructed by Italians'?

Bonjour Pomme Homme,
    you are most probably right!

I have it as the Ponzelli-Miller Aerocurvo from
    _
    gX

Thank you. Jane seems to be rather 'information light' in comparison to your source, Uli. Anyhow, here's something of broadly the same vintage - and whilst I apologise for the grainy nature of the image, it's the only one I could find of this aeroplane in its 'evo' format.

Mike, that looks to be the Jezzi Biplane #1 of 1910. Was originally a pusher apparently.

Both identification and explanation is correct. Over the pond we go .....

Next mystery is a murky biplane with a funky empennage.

Here is another angle showing the twin fins and the relative size of the machine. It only needed a 40hp engine to get it flying.

A few more nuggets...it made it's first flight mid 1920 in New York. USA all the way but not found in Aerofiles. (There is information out there on it with other photos I have come across).

A one-off designer as far as I can find.

The "Pioneer Type A Sportplane" indeed.
    _
    gX

Another light biplane:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails r4r4r4.jpg  
    _
    gX

Is that the Danton Tractor Biplane of 1911?

Full hit!!

I have it as Denhaut Frederic-Danton 1911 Aeroplan
    _
    gX

Thank you, Uli. I also found it described as the Danton-Denhault-Espinosa racing biplane of 1910 - but I got distracted and didn't manage to post that additional information before you replied! Anyhow here's a smart little monoplane, illustrated in a photograph which is not, as far as I can see, amongst the several other photographs of it to be found on the internet!

That looks very much like the Ponnier D.III, however the engine cowling might look a bit different.

I'm afraid that the Ponnier D.III is not known to me - but I can't conceive of it being an alternative name for this aeroplane, having regard to how well known is the name of the gentleman who designed it.

Quote Originally Posted by pomme homme View Post
    I'm afraid that the Ponnier D.III is not known to me - but I can't conceive of it being an alternative name for this aeroplane, having regard to how well known is the name of the gentleman who designed it.
    Having researched the Ponnier D.III, I think that you may be so warm that you're risking a burn! But we're back to a subject that will have lefty chortling. My source suggests that you're out by a year. But my source is not exactly overflowing with information - so it could be that we are splitting hairs. The problem is that I just don't know!

Lefty has duly chortled, and thinks this must be the Hanriot-Pagny monoplane ? (more cider, Mike....)

That is kind of strange.
    When searching for the solution the Hanriot monoplane did cross my way.
    However, I couldn't find any photo of her with an undercarriage similar to that on the mystery photo, so I discarded the Hanriot.
    Maybe that was a fault.

I think that the two of you ought to charge your glasses and drink from them together - and then I'll leave it to both to decide who first slams their empty glass on the table and posts the next mystery!

The source of this photograph simply describes it as 'the small Gordon-Bennett Hanriot monoplane' of 1912 - but could it also be the Hanriot D.I (although the undercarriage is wrong for that), the Ponnier D.III (with similar undercarriage) or the Hanriot D.III (of which I can't find a photograph showing its undercarriage). But as lefty, no doubt, would say: 'well, it is French, isn't it'!

Now where's that trophy for my cider!

I'll leave it to lefty, he had at least Hanriot in his answer

Members who have read this thread: 90