The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 679

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

It is unclear, whether this bird did really fly.
    Aerofiles says, it didn't because of its engine, other sources quote several flights.

I presume you are referring to the Stout Cootie - references vary somewhat - Aerofiles says it had a 38hp Sperry-Wills (no wonder it didn't fly!) whilst another source says it was a 150hp Hispano ! Not much difference there, then....

There was an in-depth discussion on Stout confusion on another forum - if I'm right about the Cootie, I'd prefer Chris to have the next go as I wouldn't have been on the right track without his guess.

Hi Mike.
    Stout Cootie was the answer I wanted to read.
    Judging the photos and websites I have found I presume that the Batwing is a different aircraft, perhaps it was a bit pedantic that I insisted in another solution.

A to both of you.

So, if he wants, over to Chris.

Back at my controls again, so I can show you why I prefer that the Cootie and the Batwing are different.

2 photos from a similar angle of view, first one the Cootie, second the Batwing.

Nonetheless, over to Chris.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0833.jpg   IMG_0832.jpg  

Thanks for letting me have it. I figured close but no cigar. Anyway does has anyone every found pix of Stout Skycar III? from 1943.

Now for a trimotor.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOTApr2.jpg  

Aviafrance has this as a modified S.P.C.A. 40T designated a 218. Have seen another photo of it labeled a 41T.

The register lists it as such:

F-AKDY S.P.C.A. 40.T > S.P.C.A. 218 > S.P.C.A. 218-2 01 F-AKDY Etat Francais 09.01.33 3293 Prototype [Per PB - initially SPCA 40T then SPCA 218]

https://www.aviafrance.com/s-p-c-a-2...rance-2321.htm

That's it I knew it would be easy had it as 41T

Chris

Something different.

and it flew ???

Three possibilities - (1) someone parked a lorry between the camera and a helicopter whilst the photograph was taken ; (2) a totally unknown Raoul Haffner design, the Rotalorry; and (3) it is the French mobile alembic that operates in my area each winter to which, for some inexplicable reason, someone has applied rotor blades - but I rather doubt that it is any of these!

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    and it flew ???
    Flew is such a subjective word. Lets not get caught up in that so much.

Not a French or British contraption (sorry Mike), but is from a well-known helicopter company. The photo is circa 1952.

Okay, was having some late April fools fun with you all. (Kind of a tradition). This was an engine testbed for Piasecki that logged over 1500hrs apparently.

Back to the regular scheduled program...

The company ceased operations a year or so after this particular model made it's debut. It's similar slightly younger sibling was the last design built and flown.

This company was prolific from the early 1920's until 1932. Mostly tourers and racers.

There is an Aerofiles entry for it.

You finally dragged it out of us ! It's the Alexander D-1 X447V.

That is it Mike. The original Flyabout.

Over to the lowlands-

Don't think you could refer to this one as a flyabout... I have no idea of the purpose of the diddy portholes along the fuselage - perhaps someone could enlighten us ??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ruueddgv955.jpg  

The Latham Trimoteur Hydravion of 1919
    Must have been rather uncomfortable for the rear gunner to sit in the gale of the center engine....

According to aunt Wiki the portholes lighten the cabin of the radio operator.

I suspect comfort wasn't uppermost in the priorities of designers in those days - just imagine the noise too.....and that radio operator must have been lying prone !

Robert has the big Latham spot-on - over to you sir

Thanks, Mike!

Noise, wind, uncomfortable seats and not to forget the water spray, in short, I'm sure it should be a hell of fun to fly such a kite today.

This one shouldn't be too difficult.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH-75.jpg  

Info on the Latham

The seventh compartment was fitted for a position for a turret gunner andradio set. The following compartments were not accessible from the inside; bolted portholes allowed inspections from outside

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by fabulousfour View Post
    Noise, wind, uncomfortable seats and not to forget the water spray
    Sounds like an everyday Ryanair flight!

... and Robert's plane looks like an ancestor of the NYP: the Ryan M-1
    _
    gX

Quote Originally Posted by giruXX View Post
    ... and Robert's plane looks like an ancestor of the NYP...
    And that would have become one of my hints if that would have become necessary.

The Ryan M-1 it is!

The photo is from the Ford Touring Trophy in August 1926, Vance Breese at the stick finished in eighth place.

An early "Ryanair"

Uli, over to you please!

Thank you Robert,

I’ve answered because I’ve found another “portholer”. See here:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails q9q9q9.jpg  
    _
    gX

Members who have read this thread: 92