The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 674

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Evidently it is not obvious, but the biplane and the mystery before have something in common.

The penny has dropped, thank you, Robert (or maybe 31 of them ?). I won't post just now as I'm off for most of the day......

Sikorsky-Fairchild S.31

Chris

The early bird catches the worm.
    Isn't it deep night now in Idaho?

It is the Sikorsky S.31

Over to you, Chris.

I have the book, Images of America/Sikorsky Legacy written by Igor's son Sergei. Signed copy too.

Sometimes you guys go through 2 mystery aircraft before I wake up. I thought I knew this aircraft before the hints. I had a hard day yesterday lost an engine on climb out and had to return to KSFF. I miss my FE lucky it was CAVU. You can see flight on FlightAware under WAE41 out of KSFF.
    So I didn't get around too it till just before work today. I have a new mystery but has appeared here before same name different version. What got me interested in this one was it said it was used in Iceland.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOTMar8.jpg  

Ahh, those struts ! Long time ago I posted an Irwin - think this is the M-T-2.

I knew wouldn't last long. Irwin Meteorplane which version? I'm not sure. Caption said it was used as mail plane in Iceland. From it's size must be the 2 letters carried on the pilot.

Chris

Just to add a bit more information: In the Civil Aircraft Register of Iceland the Meteorplane is designated as an unregistered Meteorplane F.A.I. which is possibly a typo, F-A-1 would be the correct designation.
    According to the register the plane was converted to a snowsled in 1932

My image of the F-A-1 looks quite different , Robert, (rounded wingtips, neat cowl, etc) so I'll stick to the F-A-2 if Aerofiles is anything to go by !

Here's a rather plain workhorse.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ghjjfgkkd444.jpg  

No point trawling Aerofiles - it's not American. Or British.

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    No point trawling Aerofiles - it's not American. Or British.
    It looks to me as the Tokyo Koku Aiba Tsubame 6....or am I barking the wrong tree?
    Cheers
    Carlo (BG)

Carlo, you are barking in tune ! The Tsubane it is - over to you -

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Carlo, you are barking in tune ! The Tsubane it is - over to you -
    Thanks Lefty and here you go with a grainy pic of an old airliner as well as one of a "Monsieur moustachu"...
    Cheers
    Carlo (BG)
    https://imgur.com/a/76q3c

The chap behind the moustache is Ferdinand Lasne - which means that the aeroplane probably is a Nieuport-Delage NiD 30

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pomme homme View Post
    The chap behind the moustache is Ferdinand Lasne - which means that the aeroplane probably is a Nieuport-Delage NiD 30
    Right Mike precisely a NiD30T2 a 1921 airliner carrying 6 pax and driven by an unknown Darracq 12A engine (description but no pic on Aviafrance)...
    The ball is in your field
    Cheers
    Carlo (BG)

Thank you, Carlo. I will post the next challenge - but when I come down from Seventh Heaven. But for the present - très bien les bleus!

Here's a little twin for a Sunday .....

Is there post on a Sunday in your neck of the woods, Mike? (lovely vision of Jacques Tati pedalling furiously down the lanes to Chateau Pomme Homme......)

That's the Albert A-20 postal monoplane with two Wout motors....

Indeed it is - presumably photographed before the wouts were jettisoned in favour of a pair of Genets. Thus over to the land of banks and braes!

I know that in many ways France is a more efficient country - says he, rapidly ducking his head below the parapet - but even so, Mme la Factrice doesn't pay us a visit on a Sunday (and if she's anything like the rest of us, probably she'd have too sore a head to venture out today!). And whilst not wishing to spoil your vision of a rural idyll, Mike, she doesn't have a bicyclette but an orange Berlingo. And as to Château Pomme Homme (which sounds rather like an Australian claret), she'd look long and hard for that without any success. No, it's le Moulin de Pomme Homme!

Blog Entries
    Bonsoir Mike!
    un chef-d'oeuvre d'humeur gauloise....
    Cheers
    Carlo
    PS Merci pour l'Albert que je ne connaissais pas!

Buona sera, Carlo ! (This is the Scozzese Mike, rather than the Anglo-Gallic transplant.)

I'm glad you liked the Albert (which is also the name of my favourite pub).

Now here's something which has nothing in common with the last one, other than its vintage......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sbfftfe.jpg  

From a company that basically still exists today. Licence-built Armstrong-Siddeley motor.

I guess it's a Mitsubishi MC-1
    _
    gX

You guess correctly, Uli. It is in fact J-BAKG, usually seen as a landplane, but they found some floats somewhere!

Members who have read this thread: 90