The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 617

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

That should be the Palomino N40J from San Antonio.

Walter, as you probably know more about this kite, is the rather strong resemblance to the Mooney Mite by coincidence?

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    I think Mike`s aircraft is N40J known as the San Antonio Aircraft Company`s Palomino (single-seater) attibuted to designer Burt Wilcut. I have seen it described as being based on/derived from the Long/Bushby Midget Mustang, although there may also have been influence of the Mooney M-19 (a military M-18 Mite).
    N40J later appeared in several other guises as tandem 2-seater named Palomino Aircraft Palomino (see photo below) and finally as Integraded Systems Omega kitplane (see second photo).
    There was also a N45J (tandem 2-seater) which may still exist.
    My horse connection comes from Palomino/Mustang, but I can now admit I was bragging somewhat as she is just a stubbern donkey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails N40J 2-seater.jpg   N40J as Omega II.jpg  

It's no Mooney (as this Wee Scotsman can testify.... ) - how could it be ? - the tail's not on back-to-front....

I have it in its early incarnation as the San Antonio Palomino. Carry on FF - although Walter knew it all the time. Don't think I have ever seen a palomino donkey - now there's a challenge for the breeders.

Mike, you have to admit, that except for the tail the Palomino in your mystery photo resembles very much the M-18 Mite plus an engine fairing.
    So, my first suspicion was that this could be a reworked Mite, but of course found nothing.

My next one definetly comes from a factory
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH-22.jpg  

I think this craft may contain more or less Anatra genes, or am I wrong, FF?
    _
    gX

You are looking way to far in the East, gX

Nothing from Russia or the Sovietunion

This aircraft is a development of a very successful type which first flew a few years after the Great War and that was licence built in 2 countries.

However, the success couldn't be repeated and less than a dozen aircraft of this type - with different engines - were completed. First flight of this new type was end of the 1920s.

No picture at aviadejavu.ru

Hadn't thought that this one is so difficult

The manufacturer is well known, though not one of the big players.
    Several aircraft of this firm flew before 1914, a successful fighter of this manufacturer in the Great War was also built as a floatplane.
    The last plane of this firm was a twin-engined fighter that first flew before 1939.

I'm not much into civilian aircraft. Looks like Hanriot HD-32 near relative.

Chris

At least someone who gives it a try

Hanriot ist the manufacturer we are looking for, but it's not from the HD.32-family.

Last clue before I will solve this mystery: According to aviafrance, first flight was 1928 and 5 aircraft with this motorization have been built.

In which case it must be the H.410

The beer has to go to Chris, FF !!

Finally, the H.410 it is!

I guess, both of you deserve a refreshment

I would suggest that Chris makes the new mystery.

I knew it might point someone in the right direction. Thanks. I'll try to get an interesting mystery aircraft.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOTJun28.jpg  

I have it in my birdcage but I'll try to keep the door shut.
    Last edited by giruXX; June 28th, 2017 at 04:44.
    _
    gX

The name of that wee bird is quite frequently used for small aircraft. I think one could easily find more than five different designs beginning in 1921.
    _
    gX

This is nice don't even have to give hints. Anyway this one has 28hp motor from the USA.

Chris

Okay, I will bite as the 28hp engine hint helped track it down. It's not a Canary, Bluebird, Robin, Parakeet, Sparrow or Finch....it's a WREN! A kit built Calder Blue Wren circa 1981.

That's it. To Moses03 with help from giruXX

Chris

gX's hint led me astray actually. Was about to pull out the bird encyclopedia. Next time please identify these wee ones straight away!

Here is a pretty, pretty tourer to consider-

To me this looks like the rare Rearwin Speedster 6000C
    _
    gX

I was going through my entire American Ornithologists' Field Guide. Went through Chickadees and Grackles, threw in the towel at Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker.........

Quote Originally Posted by giruXX View Post
    To me this looks like the rare Rearwin Speedster 6000C
    It is! Have at it.

@lefty: Mike, your birdcage must be much bigger than mine, as is your subtle humor J

You may try this floater. It’s a bit rare but has a simple answer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails k8k8k8.jpg  
    _
    gX

Bingo! for Chris
    _
    gX