The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 594

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Lefty is holding back here but I will chip in on the quirky pusher. It's the Burgess-Dunne Hydro.

SOH-CM-2023
    Correct, but I did a bit more research just before replying & was surprised to find that there were 12 different designs made & quite a few more manufactured. Very interesting!

http://www.massaerohistory.org/Burgess.html

Over to you
    Keith

Rgr on the myriad of designs Keith. Thanks for the link.

For the next mystery, something much newer.

Phillips Skylark CT-1

That was quick.

The CT-1 ended up in Peru and it's eventual fate is unknown.

Here's one right up Walter's street........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sodfi85438jg.jpg  

While you are all pondering this canard, I wonder if anyone can shed some light on another mystery.

I have a volume called 'Aircraft of the World' by Talbot Booth, from around 1940. It consists of some pretty ropey 3-views of a wide variety of aircraft, some of which are obviously projects which never made it , such as the Air-Wibault. (I also found the Edwards MBM-1 there)

One such is this, the 'Lobil Monoplane', a supposed fighter from the USA. I can find no other reference to this whatsoever. Anyone ???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lobil.jpg  

When you do a Google search for "Lobil aircraft" there are two hits for old issues of the "Los Angeles Times", however, you can see only a preview unless you have a subscription.

Number 1

Number 2

But you can read the OCR-text below the pictures.

First text (some corrections made by me):

Another aircraft factory, according to a statement made yesterday by Josef S. J. Hlobil, president of the Lobil Aircraft Corporatin. Hlobil, an aircraft engineer formerly with Consolidated Aircraft Corporation In San Diego, said his company will specialize in military planes. Actual construction of the first experimental plane is expected to begin within the next few weeks, with production scheduled to start in six months

Second text:

The Lobil Aircraft Corporation announced it will build plant here and specialize on military planes. President is Josef . 3. Hlobil. formerly an engineer with Consolidated Aircraft of San Diego, which is busy with navy bombers orders.

According to this, the founder of Lobil Aircraft Company/Coorporation was Josef Hlobil whose name seems to have been simplified to Lobil. Hlobil seems to be a common Czech name.

When you Google for "Josef S. J. Hlobil" you can find several aircraft related patents
    However, nothing about the plane you are looking for.

By the way, your mystery plane is the one and only Piper PAT-1 Pugmobile

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mike
    Your canard is a Piper! The PAT-1. Not by the Piper company, but designed by Howard Piper (son of William T.) and George Mead and built by PAT which stood for Piper Advanced Technology, Inc. not related to the other Piper company
    N15TP was sadly lost in a fatal crash in November 1981. She was nicknamed Pugmoile.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    fabulousfour beat me by 1 minuites, 60 seconds, one zip of my beer.
    Must obviously improve on my typing speed

Tough luck, Walter ! FF, thank you for that - obviously, I Googled Lobil aircraft too, but came up with nothing. Strange.

Over to you for the Pugmobile.....

Here is a well known but rather incomplete aircraft.

Time for a clue.

The shown aircraft was originally built only as a "back-up" as another type from a well known designer was the preferred choice.
    However, the latter never materialized and so this aircraft went into mass production.

At first glance I would say it's a Short Stirling...

The Short Stirling it is!

Must be about noon in Texas, so what about an alcohol-free beer?

Thanks Robert.

Sorry for the lackluster photo. My scanner is being fussy today.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Sorry for the lackluster photo. My scanner is being fussy today.
    Kevin - a tip - try removing the three layers of gauze that you habitually scan through........

Well there's not a lot to go on here - the tail unit is de Havilland-ish apart from the lack of rudder balance, but I reckon this must be from your side of the water.......and what's that funny old machine in the background ?

Not American. This one had a 220hp Hispano-Suiza engine.

I promise no gauze was used!

In 1921, this biplane was the fastest aircraft from this country. Even faster than the military models at the time.

I'm fascinated to know what are the minimonoplanes behind your mystery biplane.

The monoplane reminds me to the Castaibert monoplanes of Argentinian roots, however, the wing seems to be a bit low.

But I can't find any Argentinian biplane that fits to the picture

This one is from the Northern hemisphere. The company built several racing and training aircraft from 1915 to around 1923 at which point the main designer went into the furniture business!

Any connection to the brothers Dufaux of Switzerland?

Not from Europe I'm afraid. Time to reveal as this is the Shirato Type 37 built in Honshu, Japan. (Could not find a positive ID on the smaller monoplanes in the background).

Nice model here: http://www.freewebs.com/aeroscale/shiratotype37.htm

Open board please.