The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 591

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

I think this is one of those find-a-wrecked-Piper-and-turn-it-into-a-caravan/henhouse/beach hut/amphibian projects, by the look of it !

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mike
    Close enough!. A Piper J3 turned into an amphibous flying boat. First flight around 1965/1966, regi N10533, Continental C85 engine.
    Not sure she was constructed from a wrecked Piper. In those days J3s and the like were not that expensive. I know her as the Bunnels Sport. Did not find her on the web, but apparently she had some popularity in the model aircraft scene.

Your turn, Sir!

Walter, that was meant to be a pithy comment, not an attempt to ID the plane !

Following on the tandem-wing theme - here's one that Walter will know, but how about the others ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails abcdefg1234.jpg  

Ugh. Croses EC-9 Paras-Cargo.

I think it would be ideal for giving one's mother-in-law her first experience of parachuting..........

Over to Texas....

A flying boat tucked away in the corner of the exhibition. Note the fin on the right is from another aeroplane.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xz3u9.jpg  

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Hi Moses!
    This sounds to me like a Grigorovich M24.....
    cheers
    BG

Not the Grigorovich BG but they do have a similar layout.

This was a one-off that showed up in the late 1920's. It was rebranded in 1930 under the guise of being mass produced but nothing panned out.

A keen eye will note the small bird painted on the hull...

Yes, I noticed that - thought it might be a Cardinal or a Blue Jay but can't find anything. Stumped. (That is, of course, assuming it's an American birdie.......)

The brightly colored bird can be found globally. The aeroplane exhibit took place in New York City...

A completely blind guess: Mill Basin Super Gull W-1 [X440]
    _
    gX

A solid guess but it is not the gull. This one had the same name as a WWII warbird.

My first post here in this wonderful forum.

This is the Taft Kingfisher aka Whittelsey Amphib as shown in the Madison Square Garden Expostion.

I could have posted earlier, but there must be a sort of quarantine after registration.

Welcome to SOH fab.
    You are spot on with the Taft/Whittelsey boat. The board is yours for the next mystery.

Thanks for the beer

As this is my first mystery, the next one should not be too difficult.

An extra imaginery beer for the pilot who made this perfect three-point-landing, but this is no must.
    Last edited by fabulousfour; March 31st, 2017 at 10:35.

Welcome, fab4. I'm pretty sure that it's an early Vega Gull but I can't identify the crash or the pilot who achieved it. Maybe when he was told to do a three point landing, he didn't realise that he was expected to put it down on its main and its tail wheels, rather than the former and the engine cowling. Perhaps he walked away muttering: 'two out of three ain't bad'!

Addendum: I suspect that it was Beryl Markham who was responsible for that 'landing', for in the course of her flight in VP-KCC ('Messenger') from Oxford to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, she encountered strong headwinds and had to make an emergency landing, short of her destination, and had the bad luck to find soft ground, with the result that the Vega Gull tipped onto its nose. However she still became the first woman to make a solo east-west Atlantic crossing in 21 hours on 4/5 September 1936.
    Last edited by pomme homme; March 31st, 2017 at 07:03.

PH has it nailed, but as I'm always thirsty on Fridays...(!).....I'll have a stab at Beryl Markham, in Cape Breton Island.

A lot of memorable flights ended up in peat bogs !

Vega Gull is perfect!

And lefty has got it with Beryl Markham

This is the plane Beryl Markham tried to fly nonstop from England to New York in 1936, but due to technical problems she had to make a precautionary landing in Nova Scotia.
    Nevertheless, she was the the first woman to fly the atlantic from East to West solo.
    You can read the story here.

The photo is from my personal collection.

Over to pomme homme.

Sorry. Whilst I was typing my addendum (regrettably I don't type quickly) the two subsequent posts were made.

SOH-CM-2023
    Looking through my book by David Gearing, the only Vega that seems to fit the description is VH-UVH, c/n D57, which nosed over at Bowral Gull, Penrose, nr Bundanoon in NSW, flown by Melrose.
    Keith

EDIT - too late & wrong then!
    If it was Beryl Markham the regn was VP-KCC c/n K34. Shipped back to Kenya & wfu in Dar-es-Salaam.

Thank you, fab4. Here's something which, perhaps, is a little less well known than the Vega Gull but, nonetheless, is not displeasing to the eye. A very practical tandem trainer that suggests, with reason, the influence of a much larger and better known manufacturer of aeroplanes.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi PH
    I hesitate, but my votes would go to the Aerofer 01 (F-PERS) designed and built by members of the Aéro-club des Cheminots in France. Main reason for the hesitation is that your beauty is a two-seater, while the Aerofer 01 is often reported as a single-seater.

You have no need to hesitate, Walter, for you've cast your vote for the right candidate! However I was hoping that a photograph of the Aéro-Club de Cheminots Aérofer (1954) in its original two seat format would throw many off the scent - because all of the online photographs that I've seen show it as a single seater (presumably with the original forward cockpit faired over). But I was a fool to think that this would waylay you. You have the chair, sir.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Thank you PH
    Understand the 01 was intended as club aircraft that could do aerobatics. View the only 50hp Aster engine (licence-built Walter Mikron 4-III), I can understand she was often flown as single-seater.

Best challenge is certainly a single-sweater.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dfwadlg.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 90