The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 579

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Sorry for the delay. Keeping the pusher theme going.

Well, the guy behind the engine reminds me of Mao Tse-tung or alike. Could that feeling be a hint that this aircraft comes from the eastern side of the iron curtain?
    _
    gX

No oriental influence gX.

This pusher made a few test flights in 1936 and had a rough landing after the engine failed. The project was not continued after that.

Think eastern side of iron curtain where most of the grainy photos come from...

BTW- There is conflicting info on flight year. Could be either 1936 or 1937. The name of the aircraft was also reused later on in other designs. By one account, it flew well if underpowered by the 2-stroke engine.

Last clue: One of the project team went on to build many famous Soviet jet fighters...

OK, OK, Oktyabryonok........

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Hi Lefty
    out of curiosity I have in my files the pic of a "MAI Grushin Oktiabrienok" however this is a diminutive monoplane with conventional Salmson pusher engine produced in the Soviet Union in 1936...could it be that there might be two completely different items with the same name?
    Cheers
    BG

Mike has the right one.

More info and another photo here:

http://ram-home.com/ram-old/oktyabryonok.html

BG- There were a couple of other designs with that name, one being a tandem wing layout. Not sure about your Salmson pusher?

Edit: Here is the tandem wing one I was thinking about.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/foru...c=9291.0;nowap

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Mike has the right one.

More info and another photo here:

http://ram-home.com/ram-old/oktyabryonok.html

BG- There were a couple of other designs with that name, one being a tandem wing layout. Not sure about your Salmson pusher?

Edit: Here is the tandem wing one I was thinking about.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/foru...c=9291.0;nowap
    Thanks Moses for the additional "Oktyabryanok" photo. The tandem wing one on "Secret projects" is exactly what I meant in my previous thread (I wrote by mistake "conventional Salmson pusher engine" instead of just "conventional Salmson engine")...sorry for the mix-up!
    Cheers
    BG

Gentlemen, will you please indulge this intervention on my part. Attached is a miniscule image of an aeroplane that I might well have bought if SWMBO hadn't put her foot down. But evidently someone else's SWMBO didn't take the same attitude as the advertisement soon thereafter disaapeared from the website where it had been. Sadly all I saved was the image itself. The advertisement also included hyperlinks to youtube videos showing the aeroplane being taxied frantically around a field. But I didn't save the hyperlinks and despite all the permutations subsequently introduced into the youtube search engine, I've failed since to find the videos. But back to the aeroplane.

To me it looks to be a formule Mignet aeroplane. But the resolution of the image is so low that I can't say whether the forward wing is parasol mounted or mounted on the upper fuselage. If it's the latter, then maybe it's a tandem wing rather than a Mignet formule aeroplane. But if that's the case, I can't see any signs of ailerons on that wing. Which fact drives me back to the formule Mignet theory because, perhaps, the fuselage forward of the cockpit - which can't easily be seen in the image - is lower than the fuselage aft of that, which may be higher by virtue of the 'high back' fairing which can be seen. If so, this would enable the forward wing to be parasol mounted and thus be pivoted à la Mignet.

This matter has been driving me mad for ages. I've sought enlightenment on other 'expert' forums but no-one on those has been able to shed any light in my darkness. Can any of you succeed where I and others have failed? If so, I shall be most grateful to you.

Will do some digging, Mike - but there seemed to be a lot of Mignet/Croses inspired designs about.......

In the meantime, here's yet another triplane..of the grainy variety....(yes, I used to love wandering round those Salons with my trusty Box Brownie.....)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wftripe.jpg  

This should be the triplan L. Clément, i.e., (Louis) Clement triplane from 1919.
    _
    gX

That's it - still can't really imagine it flying......

... I think it flew well-enough for that time (with and without eninge) but definitively not fast enough to compete in a Red Bull Air Race ...

@pomme homme: I am sorry but I can't help to identify your mystery. I at first glance thought it would be the Grushin Oktiabrienok

Here comes another, similar “strange-bird”:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails g7g7g7.jpg  
    _
    gX

Nicolas-Claude NC-2 Aquilon

Thank you, giruxx, for your input on my 'mystery aeroplane'. Lefty has, kindly, come up with some useful thoughts which have provided me with an avenue of enquiry which, I hope, will bear fruit. If so, I'll let you all know. But in the meantime, if anyone else has an thoughts on the subject, I'm ready to listen.

Blog Entries
    Hi pomme-homme!
    You beat me by a few seconds on the Nicolas-Claude!
    However concerning your mystery plane it is strangely similar to the Croses EC-1 "Pouplume"......I have a rather small front view of this Aircraft and if you wish I will be glad to oblige with my pic.
    Cheers
    BG

Speaking of french aircrafts I have a query: do any of you gentlemen possess a more or less grainy pic of the Latecoere 13 and/or Latecoere 20?

A for pomme homme!
    _
    gX

Icon9

Nothing from me on the mystery Pou or the Latecoere twins.

w.r.t. Latécoère 13 & 20: Is it worth looking in Docavia No. 34? Latécoère: les avions et hydravions
    _
    gX

Thank you, giruXX. Now here's something that will irritate some - it's both featherweight and grainy - but it was the handiwork of a man (he's the one in the picture) whose name - or, at least, a part of it - is well known in GA circles to this day.

Joly Motoplaneur or E-1 of 1933. Thought it might be a Sablier design at first but then found a matching photo in my archive.

http://www.aero-constructeurs-amateu.../3.resized.jpg

Spot on, Kevin. I wouldn't be so cruel as to put up another Sablier! But finish this off by telling us what was his post-war claim to fame!

Quote Originally Posted by pomme homme View Post
    Spot on, Kevin. I wouldn't be so cruel as to put up another Sablier! But finish this off by telling us what was his post-war claim to fame!
    Edouard Joly and his son-in-law Jean Delemontez combined and created Jodel (Jo Del)

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Up next, a nice photo for the time period...

A one-off. This aeroplane was custom built for a physically challenged woman aviator...