The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 571

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Yes I would say it sailed there.

Chris

Following a recent theme. Should have surfaced with all the research.

Chris

Could it then be another creation of François DENHAUT?

e.g.: Le dimanche 29 septembre 1912, le quotidien « L’Abeille de la Creuse » écrit dans ses colonnes :
    « C’est un monoplan de 12 mètres d’envergure, avec un léger plan inférieur, la base est consolidée par un canot et deux flotteurs, ce qui permet à l’appareil de se poser sur l’eau, le tout est supporté par deux roues de faible diamètre.
    Il est mu par un moteur Anzani de 50 chevaux, qui actionne une hélice à quatre branches. Le fuselage a une longueur de 8 mètres, y compris les gouvernails. L’appareil est équilibré, très stable et tient bien l’atmosphère. ... »

_
    gX

Aah, another Ricci design!

Did you mean this? Which number is it really? http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9159.msg294844.html#msg294844

It could be this "no-namer": ≪During 1918 the Ricci brothers also designed a large gull-wing seaplane with a pylon mounted engine: the aircraft was intended to leverage the ground effect flying at low altitude to deliver its payload (2 torpedoes, buried inside the fuselage)≫
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.jpg  
    _
    gX

I have it as the Ricci R.8. Didn't correlate it with that pix but it looks right. I figured with all the research going on with Ricci it would come out. What I've found on Ricci.

Ricci:

R0 1914

R1 aka R.I.B. 3eng biplane twin fuselage seaplane WWI

(R1 mod) 2nd proto 1919 Pix

R2 ????

R3 Project
    R4 Project

R5 FB pix 1923

R6 Triplane 1918 MM167

R7 Pix
    R7bis

R8 flying boat Pix

R9 2s Triplane 1921

FBA for Greece

Over to you.

Darn it! Had the Ricci seaplane but did not make the connection to the rear facing photo.

I hope this one was not posted here before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f6f6f6.jpg  
    _
    gX

Hmm, I was going through exactly the same routine as the rest of you, came up with the 'gull-wing seaplane', then just when I was trying to confirm it as Chris's mystery, there appeared this pic of the Ricci R.2 Gabbione - gull-wing indeed, but not the same machine !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails r.2 gabbione.jpg  

Here is the photo of the Ricci Idroplano I had.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  

SOH-CM-2023
    Gxx - your poser is a Klemm 25 methinks. Same Photo on Airliners.net
    Keith

That's all correct. Cheers, Keith
    _
    gX

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Hello boys and girls!
    I hope I'm allowed to offer following comments on the Ricci "no name" after carefully reading the 1933 issue of "L'Ala d'Italia" within the link so kindly supplied by our competent friend Giru.
    What is illustrated on thread #14247 by Cthornburg, #14255 by Giru and #14260 by Moses is the same aircraft actually not an Aircraft but it appears more like an ante-literam "hydrofoil". Her conventional name was I.A.S Idroplano antisommergibile (anti-uboat hydroplane), had a hull with five steps (what the french call "redan") and could reach the phenomenal speed of 60 km/h.
    No precise date is given of her date of Birth however it seems it was just before the armstice (therefore around 1917/1918).Concerning the weaponry the text states that she was fitted with a "cannoncino" (literally "small gun") [how she could fight u-boats with a cannoncino is for me a mystery!].
    That's all boys and girls and thanks for your patience...
    Cheers
    BG
    May I use a bit more of your patience and a bit more broadband of the forum. The pic on Moses thread #14236 belongs according to "L'Ala d'Italia" located in the same a.m. link to a" (quote) two seater land based biplane fitted with a curious Landing gear shaped like a reversed T. The engine fitted is a 60HP Combi (unquote)". Needless to say if Moses could supply a full pic of this creature it would be much appreciated.
    BTW I was forgetting this again nameless Aircraft participated in an exhibition called "Coppa del Mare" obviously located near Naples!

SOH-CM-2023
    Thank you Gxx, so here is my next offering.
    Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ac86.jpg  

A little more on my older offering.

Thanks to the peculiar shape of the bottom and a system of tubing putting in communication area of different pressure above and under the floating surface, the boat used a kind of air-cushion effect to decrease the hydro-dynamic drag. In 1918, in the last period of war, the Ricci firm designed the Ricci 8 IAS (Idroplano Anti Submergible or antisubmarine flying boat). It was a seaplane with a central hull and a single, shoulder-mounted wing. The hull had five formers; the wings, sturdy and thick, had a span of 8 meters and a surface area of 20 square meters. The engine was a 300-hp Fiat A.12 bis which drove a four bladded propeller carried as a pusher and mounted in a nacelle abobe the fuselage/wing centerline. Armament was a cannon in the bow. The end of the war brought further development to an end. Beside these actual constructions, the designing activity of E. RICCI touched a wide range of aviation technique as the flapping wings (1925), the large seaplane for transatlantic flights (1920), the helicopters (1945), the VTOL machines (1958) and rocket engines (1942). Built in 1920 as a direct derivation of the R. 6, the R. 9 was equipped with a rotative LE RHONE of 60 HP. Tested by B. ALBERTAZZI, it was presented to the Paris Show where won the “Meeting of Le, Bourget” piloted by RAPPINI.

Chris

Thanks for the info on the Ricci cauldron of aeronautical mayhem.

(Full photo of Ricci R.7 attached for BG).

Keith's offering is the Koolhoven F.K. 30.

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1928/1928%20-%200019.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ricci R-7.jpg  

Thank you Baragouin and cthornburg on the update on the Ricci 8!

Now everything makes sense (at least to me)
    _
    gX

SOH-CM-2023
    Very nice to fill in the history of the Ricci, very interesting thank you.

Moses, yes spot on with the FK30, your turn sir.
    Keith

Thanks Keith.

Moving along-

The Frenard Duck from 1949, perhaps. Built by Curtiss-Wright employees as protoype for a planned 4p version that never made it to the marketplace [N69966].

secretprojects says:

Frenard (Arnoldi) Duck N69966
    This single-seat amphibian/flying boat was designed and built by Mr. Fred N. Arnoldi (hence Frenard) and several colleagues of the Curtiss-Wright company. The aircraft was intended as flying scale for a planned (unbuilt) 4-seat aircraft and it was completed in 1948/1949 and then powered by a 50hp Continental A50. Many year later (in the 1970s) the aircraft was advertised for sale as the Bohmer Canard and it had been re-engined with a 65hp Continental A65. The aircraft is still on the FAA register as the Frenard Experimental. The Duck was claimed to be easy to convert for land or water use and the wing floats and landing gear were removable.
    _
    gX

Well done gX. Interesting that in the source photo it is called the "Frenarda".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frenard Frenarda.jpg  

Everything floats (even words)

From time to time it’s time for some color - try this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f7f7f7.jpg  
    _
    gX

It's the Svenska Flygfabriken LN-3 Seagull. Cute.

Yes of course.
    _
    gX

From a smart technicolour floater to a small machine with dihedral a-plenty....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frohkky7kykk778k.jpg