The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 495

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

You sure ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cams52_3v.jpg  

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Guys every heard of a Cryptowall virus...? The bastard encrypts your files and demands a ransom for the key to unlock your files. Damned thing destroyed almost 100 Gb of data on my computer... Thankfully I keep a back-up of most important files on an external disc which is not connected unless necessary. Apparently my last back-up of mystery aircraft photos was a while ago, so I re-read over a thousand posts here to get back up to date... Oh well, keeps me busy while fighting of a virus of my own.. Sniff..
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

No, I'm not sure Mike but your 3-view is convincing!

My photo was labeled CAMS 60 for starters from an old French periodical and it looked like it had the right registration (CAMS 60 assigned the French civil registration F-AKAN) which is listed as a 60 at Golden years.

But...the CAMS 52 is listed with the registration of F-AKAH which could easily be the one in my photo.

(I also eyeballed the one photo of the 52 I found and was not 100% convinced on it):

I also found reference to the 60 being derived from the 52 so with all that was thinking the 60.

I guess we need more photos of both the 52 and 60 side by side but will turn matters over to you on the rare floater.

Edit: Have heard of that Ferry. Ouch! Sorry to hear that happened.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CAMS.jpg  

Commiserations, Ferry, old boy. I am mildly paranoid about backups, having 'lost' a disk once, so use several hard drives, flash drives and the Cloud as well !

As for the human-type virus, I can send you my sure-fire hot toddy recipe...... (1 very large Scotch/Irish/bourbon, 1 good slug lemon juice, 1 spoonful runny honey, fill up with boiling water and two paracetamol - if you are not better in the morning you are probably past redemption)

Kevin - French waters are muddy indeed !

This interesting NACA document says the 52 is the prototype of the 60 (why, then, a later registration ?)

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...9930090262.pdf

which raises the question - how many, if any, model 60's were built ?

I think we need help from our local experts - Mike ??

Great find Mike. Like you I'm a bit confused on the lineage here.

Found this one of the CAMS 52 but I don't have a pix of the 60.

Hurel performs in 1928 a monoplane seaplane floats that contrasts with all previous CAMS production. For the first time, he implements his idea of high aspect ratio wing Sup'Aéro presented in 1921. Seaplane bombardment and torpedoed on the high seas, the CAMS Type 52 is for the Navy that issued a program for this kind of machine. Only one prototype was built in 1929, which first flew in 1930 with the registration F AKAH.
    The Navy prefers the Lioré et Olivier and Farman. If the type had been detained, series devices had worn the type 60. For his work subse- laughing at Hurel-Dubois on wings large elongation, Maurice Hurel will get the gold medal of FAI in 1955.

found this in booklet on CAMS aircraft "Google translation" and secret project forum says 60 only project this booklet had nothing on 60 so don't believe it was ever built

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FRACAMS52B&W1.jpg  

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Hi guys!
    I was absent for a day and consequently missed the very interesting discussion about the CAMS 52/60......
    Strange enough I was confronted with the same problem a few weeks ago when I decided to investigate this issue reading in the process quite a bit of documentation including Lefty's NASA document.

Like yourselves I finally opted for the 52 evidently coming to the same conclusions (BTW also Aviafrance mentions the CAMS 52 but no trace of a CAMS 60).
    Cheers
    BG

...and very sorry about your virus Ferry vO I know how frustrating this experience can be!

I think Chris has provided the answer. I suspect that he has been looking at the document at http://www.hydroretro.net/etudegh/cams.pdf. The entry for the CAMS 52, on page 13, says that there was a competition for a bomber/torpedo bomber seaplane for the National Marine in which Lioré et Olivier and Farman types were preferred but had the CAMS 52 been chosen it would have been designated the CAMS 60 in production. There was only one CAMS 52. I don't think that any CAMS 60s were produced because the type was not chosen for the National Marine.

Great contributions all round - thank you, everyone.

Here's something (hopefully) non-controversial -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ltefwasmic66.jpg  

You got it, G ! The 513-01 after modifications to just about everything......

SOH-CM-2023
    Which according to Wikipedia made it the 514LP with the Hisso engine.
    Keith

This is what I have for the 513 different tail/engine which is why I didn't get it. The 514LP pix I have shows fixed gear.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FRADewoitineD513B&W-1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Here's something (hopefully) non-controversial -
    Hmmm....looks like that may not be the case mate. I'll make it OPEN HOUSE.

Cheers.

Apparently the D514C1 (q.v. http://jacques.chaubet.free.fr/chaub.../d514c1-01.bmp) - although the clarity of the D520 lineage leaves something to be desired. But then, wouldn't this forum be a tad less interesting if it wasn't for the mire that envelops so many French aircraft of the inter-war years!

Gentlemen, I do have chapter and verse on this one (Les Avions Dewoitine) and the 514 Lance-Parachute was a different machine with fixed gear. So I reckon Green gets the juice !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 513.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Good evening boys and girls!
    Let me add my silly comments subject "Dewoitine D513" if I may....
    In my opinion Green identifies Lefty's pic correctly as a D513 shall we say for clarity purposes "second version" (Mind you not "second prototype")?
    Here's a pic of the second D513 prototype renamed D514LP ("largueur Parachutistes"??) with a Hisso 12Ydrs2 engine (930HP) with fixed Landing gear and anular radiator (like the D503):

This could be incorrect but that's what I gather after reading a bit of documentation on this matter...

Cheers
    BG
    PS As you can see Lefty's post of six minutes ago posted when I was painstakingly trying to formulate my views practically corroborates my thesis....

SOH-CM-2023
    That certainly looks & sounds more logical explanation, it's all too easy to be led up t'garden path with Wiki.....
    Keith

Blog Entries
    May I jump in gentlemen?
    The following is easy but there's a small red-herring

Cheers
    BG

Hi BG.

I have a little booklet that calls it the Letov (Praga) E.39?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails maybe.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Hello Green!
    Yes it is the Praga E(or BH)39 with her beautiful Walter Gemma radial engine (I think she was used more by the germans than the czecks...)
    Your turn please
    BG

Thanks BG.

Next...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails starting again20160116_07384046.jpg  

Must be nearly twenty four hours since I posted this one, so time to end it - the Nieuport Nighthawk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nieuport_Nighthawk

Open House

I thought it might be a Bristol of some sort but was not having any luck.

A clue to steer us might have helped. (It would have helped me anyways).

Edit: Here is a curious one to continue with...

Last edited by Moses03; January 18th, 2016 at 14:31.