The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 492

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Grainy twin -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture99.JPG  

SOH-CM-2023
    Look like a B26 Marauder with breast implants that have gone wrong!
    Keith

Having a tough time with the grainy horror.
    The basic airframe is easy - a Martin Model 179
    the specific beast? best I can come up with in spite of all my Marauder data is the Navy JM-1 that was modified to be the flight test a/c for the Westinghouse X-19 (later, J-30) jet engine.

However, since the one airframe was reported to be assigned, vaguely, to a "secret projects unit" it may have been used for other tests.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Haggis ? And lamb, cider, Calvados and boudin noir too ? I think I'm emigrating.........

Anyway, back to matters aeronautical - here's a twin, which I suspect may have appeared here before - if so, sorry - but it's quite a nice cuddly one.....
    Now that looks like one from the movie 'PLANES 2' or the other name for it, still yet to get that on my shelf .. have not seen it yet and I've lent my 'PLANES' out to some good friends .. those movies are a must for us plane nutters

It is a jet testbed but converted overseas by Dassault to test the SNECMA ATAT 101 (F-WBXM), Oct 1950.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jet Marauder.jpg  

Texas awakes ! Kevin has this one nailed -a Marauder with a dirty great ATAR in the rear fuselage.

Have just seen the world news - some pretty awful storms north of Dallas - hope our man and family are safe and sound.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35184869

Luckily we were about 30 miles NW of where the tornadoes plowed through. Very strange weather for this time of year.

Back to aircraft, here is one that seemed to be ahead of it's time with forward swept wings...

In looking at another photo from a different angle, the forward sweep is way less pronounced so it makes me think this photo gives an exaggerted impression. That said, this STOL performer was powered by a Kinner and was tested around 1929.

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    In looking at another photo from a different angle, the forward sweep is way less pronounced so it makes me think this photo gives an exaggerted impression. That said, this STOL performer was powered by a Kinner and was tested around 1929.
    Hi Moses!
    Everybody knows my ignorance about US planes however I looked at this very item a few days ago: it should be the Maximum Safety M3 of 1929: I've noticed that there's one more (or the same?) with a less pronounced dihedral....
    Cheers
    BG

According to Aerofiles the one with what looks a wing with a lesser dihedral should be the M-1 (the former with a Comet engine the latter with a Kinner engine)
    So gentlemen pick up your choice!

Hey BG, you are poking around the right hangar. While the Safety planes can be a little confusing (as I discovered), this is the M-1 actually. You can see the X10046 reg in the unaltered photo.

That said, have a cold one as I think you are close enough!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Moses for the explanations re the Maximum Safety. Much appreciated!
    Now what about this beautiful pic of a plane on a carrier?
    Cheers
    BG

Can't find a exact match for it but looks like Martinsyde F.4 Buzzard with a Yokosho tail.

Chris

I see where Chris is coming from., but think this is the Mitsubishi Type 10 (1MF3).

I didn't have a pix of IMF3 so thanks for that. Looking at IMF4 of which this is supposed to be the proto I can see the family resemblance. Would you have a pix of the IMF1 and IMF5? Since I'm missing them.

Chris

How's your Russian, Chris ?

This is as good a selection as I have seen - the first image is the 1MF-1, and #229 is the 1MF-5, I think.

http://rufor.org/showthread.php?t=22963

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    I see where Chris is coming from., but think this is the Mitsubishi Type 10 (1MF3).
    Yes Lefty this... is the Mitsubishi 1MF3 Your turn please....
    Cheers
    BG

Dug up some more grain - what is this beast lurking in its hangar ? Special Christmas bonus - two photos !!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ghith.jpg   dkfgvgtty7y.jpg  

Hmm. Almost looks like some kind of Ryan effort.

Not a Ryan - and not in Aerofiles......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5pghkollhj90bb0ld.jpg  

continuing the japanese theme Kawanishi K-12

Chris

Indeed, Chris, the would-be record breaker. Well spotted.

Not feeling very well now so will go Open House

Chris

Sorry to hear that Chris - get well soon - and have a Happy New Year...

Here is one just in time for the new year.

Maybe the pilot had been drinking?

Members who have read this thread: 90