The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 45
Page 45 of 1008 FirstFirst ... 3537383940414243444546474849505152535595145545 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 25194

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Bloimey! Don't know about the others but you got me on this one. Wish I was smart enough to know which uniforms they are wearing. That might have helped.

They are enfants de la Patrie.

Maybe something Siemens-Schuckert or Schutte-Lanz?

Er, Kevin, enfants de la Patrie is a quote from the first line of the Marseillaise, which is not the anthem of Germany !!!

Yann seems to have taken a sabbatical, so I will reveal all in the morning if nobody gets this admittedly obscure floater.

Something remarkably similar is to be found on the old version of the good (Canadian) flying boats site, but unfortunately it's only referred to as France - SuperHydravion and they've put 'Unknown - assume France' (which could be rather a good remark in a lot of situations!)
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

OK, first of all, I think you will find Ralf's 'Super Hydravion' is in fact a Curtiss H-16. The engine placement is quite different from my mystery, and the vertical surfaces above the upper wing are a Curtiss hallmark, also the wide section on each side of the forward hull.

The French lady is an Astra-Paulhan from 1919. Another one-off.

Let's get away from floaters.

Ooer, now we know!

that's not just a Cessna AW you've posted there, is it Mike?
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

Not a Cessna, Ralf. Wrong country.

I know, I know, I know....

Westland P.V.7

I knew that my Bumper book of Westland aircraft would come in handy one day.

Best wishes
    Steve P

You got it, Steve ! What other Bumper Books do you have for a new mystery ???

Not got a bumper book of this company's products but one day...

Having a spot of bother here. The whole thing shrieks de Havilland, but that tail isn't right - the angled rudder section above the hinge is just not DH.

Is that a side-by-side cockpit ? Hmm.... Come Kevin - you must be awake by now!

I'm still recovering from trying to find that blasted Astra-Paulhan. Will check back in when the biplane nightmare has passed. :isadizzy:

Mike's racing away here. Yes it is a two-seater, and no it isn't a de Havilland. That leaves us with...

I'm surprised that this one has lasted. The company went on to produce a couple of the Second World War's most successful aircraft.

Well I think I've covered Hawker, Avro, Fairey, Bristol, Short, Gloster, Boulton Paul, so far...........

A quick final clue before all is revealed in a few hours.

The name of this little tinker was reused on one of Britain's most important post-war aircraft.

OK, looks like nobody is going to get this one so...

Austin Kestrel.

Austin produced Hurricanes and Lancasters (amongst other types) during WW2. Hawker Siddley designed the Kestrel in the post-war years.

Great footage of the Austin workforce at the bottom of this page:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...icial%26sa%3DG

Nothing lined up at the mo so,

OPEN FLOOR!

Well that was suitably obscure, Steve, I fear the Bumper Book of Austin Aircraft will be a long time coming out !

Our Moses is getting a bit ratty about all these biplanes, so we'll revert to a monoplane this time. Only clue is that this has a very strong connection to another machine posted quite recently. An extra dram for the connection.

Salmson-Lebeau Droopwing? You got me...

You got me too...

(wish I had that sabbatical mentioned earlier )

OK, general surrender, I see.

This is the Holle Varioplane, built in Britain but designed by a Dutchman, A.A.Holle. Mynheer Holle also designed the Alula wing, seen on Ferry's Martinsyde Semiquaver, hence the link I mentioned. The Varioplane also had some very advanced features for 1917.

Now for something entirely different - let's see who is first to this !

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    I was on the right track investigating mr. Holle, but unfortunately only found dead ends.

Your new one's a Ling-Temco-Vought XC-142A.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Members who have read this thread: 90