The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 446

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Powered by a Gnome-Rhone 5 radial?

Nope, it's a 50 CV Anzani. This two seater aeroplane was quite advanced for 1931, being made entirely of metal. Although it was reviewed favourably, I don't think that it ever progressed beyond the prototype.

While it looks a tiny bit familiar, I think only a deep troll through the L'Aerophile archives would scare something up!

Does anyone want additional clues or would you prefer me to identify this one so that we can move on?

Seems everybody has gone home PH. I'm up for another clue.

OK, maybe a three view will help?

Construction of this aeroplane commenced in 1929 at Rosny-sous-Bois in France. It made its first flight at Orly in late 1931. Its span was 11 m; its length was 6.80 m; its surface was 15 <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]-->m²; its AUP was 540 kg; its maximum speed was 145 km/hr; and its ceiling was 5000 m. I've not found any information of what became of it.

Sorry. The three view was, unintentionally, cropped. Here's - hopefully - the uncropped version!

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    I think only a deep troll through the L'Aerophile archives would scare something up!
    When I saw your trimotor photo on the previous page Moses, one of the first things I noticed was the word "collection". You see this a lot on Aviafrance...

Then, looking at Wiki, I saw the Weymann name mentioned...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimotor

...but still couldn't see your machine illustrated in Aviafrance under Weymann. Aviafrance is not complete?

So, I guess I'm asking you PH, is yours described and illustrated in Aviafrance? That's pretty much my only French source.

Doubt this one is at Aviafrance (lots of gaps there). The previous Weymann is also non-documented.

While the tail has a Farman shape, I can't seem to track down PH's parasol.

No, Green, my aeroplane is not listed on the Aviafrance website. As John says, and without expressing any disrespect to the compiler of that website, it is far from a comprehensive list of the aircraft built and flown in France. As with many of the photographs I've posted, they come from contemporary sources and may not feature in present day publications and websites

Whilst the Aviafrance website gives extensive coverage of the products of the significant French commercial manufacturers, the same cannot be said for the smaller manufacturers and the amateur constructors. It is a matter of regret that there is not - at least as far as I am aware - a comprehensive encyclopaedia of aircraft manufactured and flown in France ( i.e. nothing similar to Jackson's 'British Civil Aircraft' and Ord-Hume's volumes on British light, commercial and private aircraft). However here I suspect that a major part of the problem is that much of the information relating to pre-war aircraft may have been lost during the German occupation of the country in WW2. However utilising what information is still available, I think that it should be possible to produce an encyclopaedic book or website that is more comprehensive than anything which, to the best of my knowledge, is available today - assuming there to be a market that justifies the cost of its production.

Anyhow, returning from the tangent off on which I've been, it does seem that my latest offering is unlikely to be identified. So I'll do so. It is the Peitz Type 101, also known as the Peitz Avionette (under which description I have, I now realise, used this one on another forum - sorry!). Open house, gentlemen.

p.s. with reference to the comments above, I should say that I've not yet read or acquired Roger Gaborieau's 'Aviation Légère en France 1920-1942' - but I've dropped unsubtle hints to my wife regarding birthday presents!

I've dropped unsubtle hints to my wife regarding birthday presents!
    Sorry PH, I'm hoping she buys ya socks and undies!

This one is illustrated on the net..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img339.jpg  

Is that snow on the ground - which might help to narrow the possibilities for the location - or is it just that the photograph is overexposed?

It's in the USA from a manufacturer based in Pennsylvania, they produced a series of biplanes as trainers, observation planes, and light bombers for the U.S. Army and Navy. James "Mac" McDonnell was once a designer for them.

This is the floatplane version...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img349.jpg  

Got it with the last clue. It's a Huff-Daland Pelican of 1925.

It's a Huff-Daland Pelican of 1925.
    Nicely done Moses - over to you.

Thanks G.

Here is an easier one. Please proceed if you know it. Will be out of pocket until midday tomorrow.

Here is an easier one.
    Immediate thought is the Handley Page Hinaidi Mk.II

Please proceed if you know it.
    I'm pretty sure it is, so I'll proceed with a floater...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EXT623TC.jpg  

An ancient arms carrier, the Pescara-Guidoni Torpedo Seaplane.

Pescara-Guidoni Torpedo Seaplane.
    That's the one Moses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0651.jpg  

Here is a nice single engine low wing monoplane tourer to start the week.

(And why did men wear their pants pulled up so high back in the day?)

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Here is a nice single engine low wing monoplane tourer to start the week.

(And why did men wear their pants pulled up so high back in the day?)

This is the Lab oratorio Artigianale Aeronautico Nuvoli 5-Aq...and by the way italians love to wear fairly long pants (unlike the short ones worn in the US)
    Cheers
    BG
    Compliments for the very nice pic!

Spot on BG! Thought this one might last a round or two. Nope.

Rough translation:
    Nuvoli # 5-Aq experimental vehicle for training at high altitude (Aq), built at the request of the Ministry of Aviation (MM298). It disposed of metal trim, cowl NACA type Magni engine, and motor Fiat A.70 with stranded wire. This was the last aircraft built in 1938 , from Workroom Aeronautics, because the holder had to work full time in the role of official military.

Over to you-

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Spot on BG! Thought this one might last a round or two. Nope.

Rough translation:
    Nuvoli # 5-Aq experimental vehicle for training at high altitude (Aq), built at the request of the Ministry of Aviation (MM298). It disposed of metal trim, cowl NACA type Magni engine, and motor Fiat A.70 with stranded wire. This was the last aircraft built in 1938 , from Workroom Aeronautics, because the holder had to work full time in the role of official military.

Over to you-
    Thanks Moses....I won't be able to submit a new entry till late Tomorrow morning...if someone would like to step in please feel free to do so!
    Cheers
    BG

Hello everybody ! Having got back (just) from Madeira, am off to London in the morning for the Chelsea Flower Show. Seems like you fellows have been busy - sorry I missed a few floaters!

Can't post anything just now, but someone please explain to me what a 'motor Fiat A70 with stranded wire' is ??