The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 23
Page 23 of 1008 FirstFirst ... 1315161718192021222324252627282930313373123523 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Looks like a Hanriot H.220-2?

Welcome back SabreAce! I spent many great summers (and the odd winter) in Middleboro visiting my Aunt & Uncle.

Well done.

Although the picture "officially" shows a Hanriot (later SNCAC) NC.600, a little bit of research shows it did wear the H.220-2 designation early on, prior to receiving the NC.600 number.

You're up, Moses.

Thanks!

Here is one I would like to see modeled for FS...

Had a look at that late last night, gave up & went to . Thought you Americans would have got through about five more aircraft while Europe slept, but find it's still with us; Well done Mo'!

Thought it might be a Fleetwings, Sikorsky, or even a Brit - none of those though. Baffled. Lefty must know...
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

Suzie & Jayne are asking : Where is everybody?

I've been flying a Sabena DC-6 from Schiphol to Heathrow in about 1956 today. Wanna pilot the DC-6B for KLM in the Caribbean, but it's a bit more complicated, so thought I'd work my way up to that. It's a ProFlight Yoke System thing...
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

Sorry been away today with the family. Thought this one would have lasted about 10 min.

You might be closer than you think Ralf...

I've been away too, and curling last night. No takers, then, for Moses' Sikorsky XSS-2 ???

Actually, I know that one is right, so in accordance with custom, will press on with something completely different, as Monty Python used to say

McDonnell 220?

Why the question mark, SabreAce?!?
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

Well actually,Ralf, SabreAce is right to add the question mark, because it isn't a McDonnell 220 !

This is the same aircraft, but in its previous incarnation as the McDonnell 119, a proposed USAF utility/training aircraft. It was converted as a commercial airliner and renamed the 220. So I suppose the only real difference would be the provision of a drinks trolley, but then again maybe the USAF have those too...........

The original reg, if I hadn't photoshopped it out, was N119, changed to N220, and subsequently it was sold off and became N4AZ. (the livery is different too) Anyone know if it is still around ?

to SabreAce for his 99% correct answer !

Live & learn. A nice-looking aircraft, but presumably too small to be a successful commercial one. Got that picture from the Airlines.net website & I think they said that it was no longer in existence.

I'm afraid SabreAce will be now and we'll have to wait a few hours for his next mystery! Mid-day here, so I guess it'll be morning on the US East Coast...
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

Well, I'd need to get a little bit of sleep to keep up with Lefty, now...

Came across a bit of interesting reading about the 220 here:

http://www.anav8r.com/page03.htm

As of 1982, she was in private hands. A quick check on Airliners.net shows the most recent photo was at El Paso, Texas, in March of 2002, where she supposedly still sits, along with some F-106 fuselages.

Now then, onward with the mysteries.

C'est le Wibault-Penhoet 282-T-12, n'est-ce pas?
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

I think we can go ahead and call that a correct for Ralf

The info I've got lists that as a Wibault-Penhoet 283, with the main visual difference between it and the 282 (at least in the 1 picture of each I've got) being that the 282 didn't have the massive fairings on the main wheels. I can't say for certain if that's a legitimate difference, or if the 282 in the other image has just had them removed/never put on. The Complete Encyclopedia of World Aircraft (ed. David Donald) only lists an increase in fuel supply as the change between 282 and 283 models.

Over to you.

Different props, but it is hard to tell unless you have the rest of that reg ! My guess is the 283.

Come on Ralf, something tasty from Sherwood, please. (I seem to remember Friar Tuck loved venison pasties - one of those will do)

Seem to remember that you also got excited when I went to Melton Mowbray, home of the succulent pork pie, in the summer...

Anyway, here's a (non-food-related) aircraft I came across recently & thought might get you chaps scratching your heads:
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

Gosh ! A single-engined two=seat biplane ! Not many of those around,then............

My instinct was French...Leopoldoff L-3?

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Gosh ! A single-engined two=seat biplane ! Not many of those around,then............
    No need to be sarcastic just because you didn't get your venison (or know the aeroplane), Mike!

Moses, however, gets the ! Leopoldoff L.3 Colibri - and there are a few still flying.
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

Thanks for the suds Ralf.

Moving right along, any takers on this twin?

Mitsubishi Ohtori.

Lefty in for the kill.

Have at it-

I thought the Leopoldoff looked like so unremarkable that nobody would get it, but was proved wrong by the redoubtable Moses - well done indeed.

Just to show I've got nothing against biplanes, here's one that doesn't look like a zillion others ! (and I am miffed about the pasty, too. Will have to settle for a Scotch pie)

Thanks. To be fair, my initial reaction was the same as Lefty's on the L-3. I just got lucky plowing through some French stuff straight away.

T-tail biplane with rat-a-tat-tat. Hmm...

Nothing like a nights sleep to recharge the batteries. Call me wacko but I think it is Waco WHD-A.

Members who have read this thread: 78