The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 20
Page 20 of 1008 FirstFirst ... 1012131415161718192021222324252627283070120520 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

sandar
    I do most of my Christmas shopping online, but as the wife doesn't drive, I have to take her. It is not that I am lazy, but since an accident left me unable to walk very far, I have to use an wheelchair which is a nightmare in a busy shopping centre and even worse on an old fashioned High Street.

As for the handsome machine, I can confidently claim it as a W.T.F Izzet.

Sadly it's not an Izzet, nor is it a Nora Batty MkIII.

It is a product of one of the earliest and quite famous aviation companies, from a land famed for its beauteous machines.............................

sandar
    Noeye Deere

Well, I just happen to have that very picture....on my work computer and can't remember the name. Blast! Lets see if I can jog my memory...

Booyah! Voisin Creme de Menthe of 1916. I knew that tail had to be a Voisin design.

Ah weel, it'll have to be the real nasty beasties from now on.

A of Creme de Menthe for Moses. (Reminds me of an old Billy Connolly joke)

(On the work computer, eh ? And there was me thinking you were one of those dedicated single-minded hard-working types that made America great........................ Wait till the boss finds out ! :icon_twi: )

All work and no play make Jack a dull boy...

This next one should keep you all busy.

(Cue the Dr. Evil laugh)

sandar
    I think the brother's Voisin had imbibed a few peppermint drinks when they designed it.

Dead easy. The Prudden-Whitehead monoplane. Had it on my pensioner's computer.

So much for stinker #1. Spot on Mike.

Told you I was a good detective ! (My birthplace in Edinburgh was about 400 yards from that of Arthur Conan Doyle, creator of the greatest detective ever )

Here is yet another attempt to solve the mysteries of flight. By whom ?

sandar
    Saw the thumbnail and thought Chrislea Skyjeep, then just as quickly realised it isn't. I am thinking it is some sort of American experimental job. Not too much time for research today.

Have a grand St. Andrew's day Lefty :friday:.

Thanks, Sandar - for whatever reasons, St Andrew's Day is something very few Scots are aware of, let alone celebrate. It is not even a national holiday up here. (St George's Day is similar, I think -we leave it to the Welsh and Irish to have the fun).

Anyway, I'll raise a dram of Highland Park to my pals here at the Outhouse !
    (Still no appropriate smiley)

The mystery, to save Moses hours of site-trawling, is not American !

The Billy Connolly joke is the one where the 2 Celtic supporters in Rome for an International ask the barman to serve them 2 pints of 'Wha'ever His Holiness drinks'. They are duly served 2 pints of Creme de Menthe. Waking up in the gutter, covered in vomit, the next morning, one of them says:

"It's nae wonder he's the fg Pope!"

As for that aeroplane, must be something like a Filipino Maya?
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

Yep, they were called Ralph (or was it Ralf?) and Huey, if I remember correctly!

This flying machine is European.

sandar
    I went to a Billy Connolly concert many, many moons ago (30++++ years in fact). One guy kept heckling him, well he gets a lot of hecklers because of his brilliant put downs and this time was no exception.
    After one heckle too many, Billy says, "you should get an agent pal, why sit in the dark handling yerself"

Not sure what you all are going on about but you seem to be enjoying yourselves. I will drink to that. :friday:

Thought Lefty's expermental was a XL-14 Maya at first glance like Ralf said but not sure being European.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Well it's an interesting design with what appears to be a variable incedence wing. Probably had great STOL performance.
    No idea what it is though.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Time to reveal that this is the SIPA-Gérard 'Aile Flottante' from 1965-ish.
    The pivoting-wing arrangement is too complicated to explain here, but it was supposed to be stall-proof. It was, as I'm sure you all recognised, a modified Nord NC-853.

What is this little trainer with the unusual cockpit glazing ??

Well, it is close to the old Danish KZ-II trainer, but I don't think it is exactly that. Maybe Scandinavian however...
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

sandar
    Looks a lot like a Miles Hawk Mk2a, but with a modified canopy.

Getting closer ! (but not a Miles)

sandar
    Fairey Primer :redf::redf:

Yes, it's away with the Faireys again ! Over to you, sir.

sandar
    The penny got stuck and didn't drop. I am well aware of the Primer, a Belgian designed trainer which lost out to the DHC1chipmunk to become the RAF's primary trainer in the late 1940's.

Something a little more modern.

Members who have read this thread: 92