The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 198

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Don`t know what I was thinking of. Of course Noah did not build an Arch, but you know what I meant to say. :redf:

and sometimes status and credentials are misleading.. the Ark completed its maiden voyage..

Moraine-Sauliner MS.880 avec un moteur Continental O-200?

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Morane-Saulnier MS.880 prototype circa 1959? Almost certainly part of the Rallye series - the 880 is a scientific wild a$$ed guess.

Blargh.....beaten by 3 minutes as I got my facts straight. BUT....the original pictured had a C-90, not an O-200. The O-200 was on the production version.

From WIKI:
    In 1958, Morane-Saulnier designed a single engined light aircraft, the MS.880 Rallye Club,in response to a French government competition. The prototype, powered by a 90 hp (67 kW) engine, first flew on 10 June 1959. The first versions, the MS.880B and more powerful MS.885, were certified as airworthy on 21 November 1961

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Gentlemen, indeed the C90 powered MS-880 prototype and first in a long series. I never saw photo proof, but some sources claim it was initially fitted with a tail wheel gear.
    Srgalahad, next test flight is yours please!

Pay no mind to Mike. The Mrs probably had him out weeding the garden early this morning. Besides, I'm sure he has a few painfully rare French floaters queued up to exact revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by DHC2Pilot View Post
    P.S. - we must restrict the use of the word "homebuilt" as it tends to upset the natives. [Shhhhhh!]<SHHHHH>
    For the record my push-pull job is over at Aerofiles and was not a homebuilt. Hey, at least is it very unique. John's on the other hand...

A lot of the things posted here were home-built (without an aerodrome, where else would you..) but the post WWII ones do send a shiver up my spine.. and at the same time, are tempting to post... such fertile fields!

This is NOT post-WWII and likely easy, but at least I can try for the 2011 Grainy Award...

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Hello:

The machine posted is a Morane-Saulnier Type H monoplane.

Dave

Welcome to the asylum Dave!

And for the Type H you get a and the joyful privilege of posting the next test.

(watch out.. it's a tough crowd :mix-smi:

Thanks SrGalahad., a pleasure to be committed with you. Before I post something, is there a master list somewhere of what has appeared before? I'd hate to look through all the machines to find a new one.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Kent View Post
    Thanks SrGalahad., a pleasure to be committed with you. Before I post something, is there a master list somewhere of what has appeared before? Dave
    >>laughing insanely<< noooo.. well, buried in the minds of lefty and Moses there's a sort-of list but I don't think you'd want to be wandering about in there to try and read it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Kent View Post
    I'd hate to look through all the machines to find a new one.
    This is the third(?) incarnation of this thread over the last few years , reincarnated after each major forum disaster so a lot have been posted...

At this point, after several hundred (thousand) strange, weird, obscure aircraft, all I can suggest is to dig as deep as one can. There are a few basic rules -- it is supposed to have actually flown; kites, lighter-than-air, unpowered, unidentified objects are basically verboten; helicopters and "homebuilts" can incur snarls in some quarters;
    beyond that, the other residents will fill you in, but have a go!

Rob

Welcome Dave. :salute: (Knew that one was French-must be, they are wearing berets)

You can search the thread before posting a new one to see if it has appeared before. It's not the end of the world if one gets repeated though.

Understood

I hope this is something new to you.

Dave

That sir is a Bancroft Tractor Biplane circa 1917. Open house if correct.

Welcome, Dave ! Where are you based ? (There is an ever-growing conspiracy to post mysteries during U.S. waking hours, when Lefty is safely tucked up and pushing out the zzzzzz's.)

As Moses said, don't worry about posting machines previously covered. I do it all the time - usually with aircraft I already posted myself.......

I'm currently having a brief break in the Highlands - well away from my Boy's Books of Aeroplanes - so I shall observe from Inverness, where snow is lying on the streets once again.....Global Warming ? Rubbish !

Thanks all for the warm welcome!!

I am in Ottawa, Canada, and also in the snow. Perhaps, if I earn another chance, you will get to see a few Canadian machines. Then again, you may have already.

Dave

You a curler, by any chance, Dave ???

I have curled, but am definitely not a curler. Great game, but I seem to be a few brooms short on skill.

I called open house, but since there aren't any takers yet, here's one....

While the two birds resemble each other somewhat, this is not an MS-315. Wrong hemisphere.

Yup it's from Mexico, the TNCA Balbuena 20 de Noviembre.

Barrerra Balbuena it is.

Thanks for the brew. Looks like we are crossing paths between here and the Wot thread. Ha!

I have this big manly biplane of curious design...

Members who have read this thread: 90