The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 147

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Happy Birthday, Mike!
    and forgive me for drinking one on this occasion. Well, the heck, maybe more than one, W E W O N !!!....

Back in college they held a cardboard boat contest every year, and this latest submission looks just like one of them with a set of droopy wings glued on.

This one is painfully obscure. It even had small ailerons at the tip of each wing.

Not made from cardboard though...

The gentleman in rear looks a tad oriental, but there ain't a sampan in sight. (probably taken in San Francisco Bay........)

It would appear to defy most of the laws of aerodynamics. ?

Not Asian or from anywhere in the States. From your side of the pond.

Attachment 11887
    It's very Dornier-ish, similar to the Libelle I, especially the side sponsons.....

You were on the right track. The sponsons were a clue to the country. Not a Dornier but a Nordflug Werk Type F.B.1 from 1923.

Onward with a grainy biplane...

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Onward with a grainy biplane...
    This old pedant reckons 'tis more like a sesquiplane. Romanian IAR-37
    Nice one on the Nordflug - have a description but no pic. Knew I wasn't a million miles off.....

Too hot for a beer. Have an ice cold lemonade for the IAR-37.

Attachment 11922

Off to celebrate our independance from oppressive England. Happy 4th!

Too hot for a beer ???? That's a new one on me ! I'm definitely of the Ice Cold in Alex persuasion.
    (Old Brit war movie, for you chaps)

Have a good 4th - how do you celebrate in the heat,exactly ?

When you get back into the air-conditioned sanctum of your computer room, you can tell us what this one is. A proper biplane, and, oh boy, an ugly one.......Attachment 11923

Bit tired here from grilling, watching fireworks and managing the kids (what we do in the heat).

Lefty's spindly job smells like a UK special...

Edit: Knew those were de Havilland struts! This is the D.H.65J Hound II.

Will keep the ball rolling with a 2-place trainer.

It's so hot you can't drink beer, so, to cool down, you turn on the grill.... Hmmm.......

Hound she is - very un-de Havilland. Tankard of mulled ale for Texas.

I think your trainer is the Meindl Van Nes A7 (sometimes referred to as the M7). No......I'm sure it is.

Something to ponder over breakfast (lunch or afternoon snack in Mike's case)......

One that sounds Dutch but was built in Cambridge (England), albeit with Dutch input. The de Bruyne-Maas Ladybird.

Now here's a bit of a mystery - (if I've posted it before, sorry)

So familiar, yet it's identity escapes me.

So unfamiliar.

Wout is usually quick to knock these types off the board...

That's what I thought.

And this one is from our side of the Pond. And there aren't that many cantilever high-wingers around........

Looks a lot like the Aubert PA-20x series, but not a match....the hunt continues

You're very much in the right area, John, but it's not an Aubert. I'll see if Wout is about to pounce, if not will move on later today.

Right, we've sent everyone to sleep. This one is the SCAM C.50.
    (That is, before you start to complain, the Société de Constructions Aéronautiques de Maine, based at Pont-de-Braye)
    Curiously, the only source I have for the registration, F-WEAI, lists that as a 'Milane II'
    Attachment 12168
    Any more info, Wout ? Anybody ?

In the meantime, something of a vaguely similar vintageAttachment 12169

Daycab
    Cool thread...

Anyone know who made this? The only Vega I know of is the obvious one and this ain't it. This was from a bunch of 3-views I bought off of E-bay. It may just be a 40's wood model kit.

Attachment 12170

That's the Lockheed Vega Starliner...

<SMALL>Vega Starliner [NX21725] (Lockheed)</SMALL>

Starliner 2, 22 1939 = 6pClwM rg; 600hp Menasco Unitwin; span: 41'0" (?>45'0") length: 31'6" (?>35'1") load: 1660# v: 195/180/60 (?>210/200/60) range: 600 (?>700); ff: 4/22/39 (p: B A Martin). Semi-monocoque fuselage, twin tail. POP: 1 [NX21725]. 22 was a modification with 640hp Menasco Unitwin 2-544 and a single tail. Production canceled by outbreak of WW2; aircraft sold to a film studio and its track faded.

Knew Lefty's ship was one of those acronym companies. Blast!

The SCAM C.50 is a new one in my book......LOVE when that happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Daycab View Post
    Cool thread...

Anyone know who made this? The only Vega I know of is the obvious one and this ain't it. This was from a bunch of 3-views I bought off of E-bay. It may just be a 40's wood model kit.

Attachment 12170
    Yup.. Rarewings made this... oh.. you mean in r/l...
    Ok asked and answered and available for both FS9 & FSX
    http://www.rarewings.com/index.mvc?page=starliner

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Members who have read this thread: 85