The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 144

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Thank you Sir.

I have a trimotor...

A Hise Trimotor Monoplane. Open board.

Indeed the one and only Hise A Trimotor. Well done John.

Whilst snores thunder over the U.S., and it's open house, I'll sneak in with a biplane...

I can tell when this one is revealed it's going to be one of those "DUH" moments. I've seen this bird many times, but I'll be buggered if I can pin it down. Ughh.

Quote Originally Posted by DHC2Pilot View Post
    I've seen this bird many times,
    You've been in some out-of-the-way places, then, John........

I woke up this morning with a clue in my head. This is another Bulgarian horror! A Dar-3 "Garvin-II" LZ-DIN.

You sussed that one out -just as DHC2Pilot was about to pounce - (or was he ?).

Not sure, but the way you Gents have been picking off everything there was no time to spare!

Here is a curious one...

Yes, a DUH moment indeed. I also have that bird as a LAZ-3-3 from 1936. Probably would have taken me another day, but Moses happily put me out of my misery. :salute:

Note the swiveling wings. Everything designed by this company was a little off the beaten path.

"off-the-beaten-path" led me right to George Cornelius

but it took some time to confirm the LW-1 of 1930

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%200181.html

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Rob scores a direct hit!

You have the board Sir-

for once I may even be able to contribute(?) to the Show of Horrors...

Attachment 11024

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

My first thought was that this is a roadable plane but the 3-wheel layout would make that a bit unwieldly. Reminds me a little of the Convair 103 with a tractor engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    My first thought was that this is a roadable plane but the 3-wheel layout would make that a bit unwieldly.
    Women call it "intuition" Attachment 11073

As for the 3 wheel layout, here's an excerpt from a design seminar:

"This is a simple experiment you can do at your local shopping center parking lot. Find a lot with few cars. A slight down hill slope is helpful, as you will not have
    to push too hard to keep the cart going. Pick a cart with good wheels and casters that turn freely. Try it first with the casters in front. Give it a good
    straight push down hill. It should track like an arrow down hill like in our pictures on the left. It is worth having a helper to catch the cart before it crashes
    into any cars.
    Now turn the cart around with the fixed wheels forward and the casters in the rear. It may take a few tries to get a straight launch. It may go
    straight for a while but like in our photos on the right, something will get the front wheels out of line and start them going sideways. The casters in the back can
    do nothing to stop the increasing turn rate. It is a classic ground loop. Some times, if the slope is steep enough to keep the cart going it will make a 180
    and go the rest of the way down the hill as God intended, with casters forward and fixed wheels in back. "

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    It could be a carbon copy of the Whitaker-Zuck Plane-Mobile of 1946

Gosh, there is a website for everything! Not a copy Wout. I think you got it.

http://plane-mobile.com/index.html

According to Aerofiles, Mr Zuck got his name as first billing ! In fact, it's the very last entry in that wondrous site.
    It seemed to be one of the great American obsessions, the roadable plane, or flying car, but it never really made much sense (thankfully - imagine the aerial equivalent of a six-lane highway....)

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Kevin, thanks for finding the link on the Plane-Mobile. Great!. I think this should serve as reminder that each and every interesting plane (especially the one-offs) should have its own site.
    What I learned (Mike pointed that out already) that is is the Zuck-Whitaker Plane-Mobile. Then the year is 1947 and not 1946. On plane-mobile.com/index.html I missed info on the role of Mr. Whitaker. Was he co-builder of something like that?.
    And of course the Plane-Mobile 2. Sadly it never flew.
    Do I break the rules when I do the next post?

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    If I break the rules I can be fired (like a certain high-placed military person...)
    This one is not an ag-lane or trainer, but is used to test stomachs

Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    If I break the rules I can be fired (like a certain high-placed military person...)
    Whitaker-Zuck, Zuck Whitaker, 1946, 1947, tomatoe, tomato --- but beer is beer even if some is better than others...:ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    This one is not an ag-lane or trainer, but is used to test stomachs
    Now, we may not fire you but other nasty things can happen with high-G projectile evacuations...

More on the Planemobile attached ( along with other goodies)

Interesting stuff, Rob.

I passed a three-wheeler the other day (the dear old Reliant Robin still wheezes around these parts) and one thing became apparent - he was having to work twice as hard to avoid the many potholes that still haven't been filled in !

Re small-engined cars - I am one of those fortunate people who can say he easily overtook a Messerschmitt - in a Spitfire.......

A couple of my pals did manage to take off in a car once. They lived.

Back to business - haven't a clue about Walter's aerobatic machine except that looks like an Italian flag - but it's got me nowhere.........

Is it a CAP model ??

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Mike, have trust in yourself (and wth these temperatures).
    No, not CAP, yes Italian flag

Would it be a Terzi Katana T30, then ??

Members who have read this thread: 85