The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 143

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Looks awfully like the Knoll-Brayton Sachem to me..

Open House - I'm off to the pub.

Felled in record time!

I need some revenge here so I'm dipping into the stinker pile. Now featuring: a twin-boom pusher with a secondary rudder behind the cockpit...

I think I am not going to get this one. Are you at liberty to divulge the method of propulsion? There appears to be some sort of rudimentary engine mounted amidships, but it doesn't seem to be attached to anything.....

Apologies for the lackluster photos.

This firm built both civil and military models into the 1930s before evolving into another company.

100 hp Cirrus engine. Was underpowered but strangely, had good flying characteristics despite the engine and odd design.

Okay, I've had my fun. This is the Loring E.I of 1929.

Let's try this one-

More fun.. This is a Polikarpov R5/P5 with Kasseta for carrying extremely hardy troops.

Not quite sure how the stewardess was supposed to get round with the tray of vodkas.....

Spot on with the ice cube trays.

Over to Fife-

Don't have anything ready. Looks like the Moses Vaults are brimming with goodies so please continue....

Sikorsky S.31 Type 'W'. (The S.31 was envisaged in four modes - Type M for mail, Type W for gunnery training, bombing, etc, Type P - passenger, and PH - photography.)

Something contemporaneous but much prettier...

Gosh, I'm running low on beer. Thought the Sikorsky would last longer.

The tail is throwing me off.

Thought it might. What about the rest of it ?????

It has a lot of Hawker elements in it, but nothing that matches - perhaps a prototype?

It's a Fairey Firefly I (1925)....here's another shot of it.

About to give a clue but you got it - the first prototype Firefly.

I'm trying to keep the "reign of terror" to an absolute minimum, but it's soooo difficult....

She's an Italian lady, a Fiat AN.1.

Pretty sure on the Fiat so I better post a new mystery. Otherwise Lefty will be grumpy in the morning.

Let's step away from the biplane pit with an eight passenger airliner...

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Otherwise Lefty will be grumpy in the morning.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8339647.stm

Moses' machine is one of those Russkis with a bewildering number of sources, designers, manufacturers, etc. I have it as the Lig-6 or LEM-3 designed by a Comrade Dormachev of the Leningrad Institute of Civil Aircraft.

It is also according to one source, a powered glider. Will someone explain to me the difference between a normal high-aspect-ratio aircraft and a powered glider, please ? (One of Wout's recent posts also called itself a powered glider). Do powered gliders always have to be towed into the air, like this one? I think not.

Non-grumpy Lefty :mixedsmi:

Here's another farmer's runabout.

This the HAL Agri plane prototype?

on the LEM-3!

Not big on Wikipedia due to all the misinformation but this entry seems decent enough on the LEM:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIAI_LEM-3

You got the Injun, sir. of Cobra for you.

Members who have read this thread: 90