The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 12
Page 12 of 1008 FirstFirst ... 245678910111213141516171819202262112512 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

It gets worse - Molson and Taylor's 'Canadian Aircraft' lists it as both FBD- and FDB-1 on the same page !

Anyway, fire off your next mystery - good to see you in the ranks of this forum.

sandar
    As I am feeling my age today, here is another oldie

Might be a Comte AC12 Moskito :switzerla: (1932) ?
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

...I have a horror of being wrong & blundering ahead, but fairly confident about that one.

Have to go to work now, so here's mine - maybe very easy, though it's only just crossed my aviation radar as I'm into postwar airliners at the moment.

:USA-flag: Congratulations to you US voters & President Elect Obama (I've heard he's very keen on Sim-Outhouse HWS & looks in here all the time, when not busy with other stuff!) I thought President Bush's message to him & your country was very dignified.
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

sandar
    Handley Page (Reading) HPR-1 Marathon

I too, have an interest in post war civil aircraft

sandar
    Sorry Ralf, forgot the beer.

The Marathon was originally a Miles design, by Handley page took the Miles company over and developed the design, hence the HPR designation (Reading being the town where Miles were based).

A version of the Marathon had a Pair of Armstrong Siddeley Mamba turboprops instead of the four DH Gypsy Queens, but neither neither version was huge commercial success. I think one of the Mamba powered machines had it's engines replaced with Alvis Leonides radial engines installed in replica nacelles to the prototype Herald airliner.

Peter Larkham has produced fantastic models of the Marathon for FS2004 and are available from

http://classicbritishfiles.com/index...28&func=search Just put 'marathon' into the search box

THis logging in business is getting to me - anyone else having to log-in EVERY time ?

As Ralf is away now for a bit, I think I can confirm that Sandar's Marathon is A.1 !

Over to Buckinghamshire for another rarity - I'm sure Ralf won't mind.

sandar
    I have to log on every time if I shut my PC down completely, but normally I just put it into sleep mode and so don't have to log on.
    It is not just this site this happens to. I thought it was the settings on my PC.

sandar
    idiot, I forgot to post a picture :redf: :d

That Marathon didn't last long! Thanks for the link, Sandar, will download the Larkham version this evening. Still can't see your pic, just the annoying little box with an X in it! But I probably won't be able to i/d it, as now at work & away from my books (boss safely upstairs for now).

lefty: only had the Log-on-every-time prob just after the Great Crash. Surely you can tell your PC to remember name & password?
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

Don't know HOW many times I've asked it to remember me !

Anyway, got to dive in quick these days - this is a Curtiss Model 54 Tanager.

sandar

I have to say, I am impressed with the knowledge of aircraft and the the speed of identification shown on this site.

In my case, the result of a misspent old age.....................

Try this utilitarian truck

You Gents have been busy in the wee hours. Glad Ralf knocked that Comte off the board!

Housekeeping note: I was remiss in Sandar's beer for the CCF Gregor. Also, not sure why you are having login problems Mike. I would delete the SOH cookies and try again.

sandar
    I wondered why I was thirsty, Moses.:ernae:

Well, you got me on this flying tool shed. Maybe something French? White flag goes up.

It's from the Land of the Free..............

But obscure, though interesting. It is a GAFHawk made in 1982 by Hawk Industries, a California oil equipment company who were having transportation problems.

It ended up in Alaska where the turboprop was replaced by a radial from an Antonov, and is apparently still around up there !

Here's another lulu...............

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Here's another lulu...............
    :isadizzy: Not having much luck so far.

Just trying to make amends to &Co by showing that not all ugly aircraft are French - this one's from Illinois !

I think we'll move on - these are a bit obscure.

The O'Neill Magnum it was

Right - let's get it going again.

The back half has a Hindustan look to it...

Edit: Lefty has been digging out those Uncle Sam specials! It's a Gulfstream Peregrine 600.

sandar
    I have just found the same picture on the web after a couple of hours trawling though countless pictures. Only I was about an hour too late

The hat-trick narrowly avoided ! A wings its way to Texas, or wherever Moses is at the moment on his RTW flight. A Peregrine it is.

Thanks, yes I was flying across Algeria earlier. BTW- That Hawk is an interesting story.

Here is our next contestant-