The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 127

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Right, time to move on. This one is a Pintsch Schwalbe II made in Vienna in the late 30's.

Something which will be snapped up quickly, methinks.....Attachment 2442

Have probably posted it before, if so, sorry.

Pintsch Schwalbe? Sounds like a fancy dinner wine. "I would like a glass of the Pintsch Schwalbe '38 please."

Your failed fighter is a Vought V-141. I also found the same photo labeled as a Northrop XP-938 over here: http://www.historicaircraft.org/Army...rop-XP938.html

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post

Your failed fighter is a Vought V-141. I also found the same photo labeled as a Northrop XP-938 over here: http://www.historicaircraft.org/Army...rop-XP938.html

Well you and they are both wrong !

The accounting dept is tough today. Will a Northrop 3A suffice?

OK, this has raised a whole can of worms (not for the first time!) Janes has this listed (twice) as the Vought V-150, being the V-143 with the single-row Wasp.

However, I see Aerofiles also has it as the Northrop, so I am confused. My understanding is that Northrop sold the 3A design to Vought as the V-141, which was modified with this large fin/rudderas the V-143. The 150 therefore had the same shape.

More research required. In the meantime, Kevin, please bash on !

Looks like the V-150 was maybe never built - Northrop it must be.

Ah well..........

Well, I think I got my Voughts switched around. V-143 might be the correct answer. Didn't find anything on the V-150.

Pressing on, here is a twin with one name!

'Tis a Roosian ! Kazan KAI-1. Pilot and four passengers who presumably were not prone to claustrophobia.

I'm 99.9% certain on the sleek Soviet, so I'll press on with a wee floater just to show I can compete in the grainy photo department.......

on the transport. I had it as a Itskovich KAI-1 though. You never know what to call some of those Russians.

I know what I call 'em but this is a family forum.........

The Kazan Aviation Institute (KAI) had Mr Itskovitch as its chief designer 34-37. Presumably he had Itsky feet and moved on.......

I am having such trouble with this *** * site - it's now the slowest on my list, and keeps chucking me out to re-login.

Wee floater a Caspar U.1 perhaps?

Yessir. Proceed.

Been awhile since we had a twin-boom pusher.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    The United Nations Committee For Aircraft Designations is not in agreement (surprised?), so I will call it the
    Skycraft Industries Skylark 447 (some say it is the Skylark Aircraft Model 447)
    The UNCFAD does agree on one thing, however. Its American!

Hmmm, I have it as the Skylark 446. Typo? Either way goes to you

http://www.aahs-online.org/WhatIsIt_Past_Quizzes.htm

.. and therein lies the root (route? rout?) of the problem..

The United Nations Committee For Aircraft Designations is not in agreement (surprised?), so I will call it the
    Skycraft Industries Skylark 447 (some say it is the Skylark Aircraft Model 447)
    The UNCFAD does agree on one thing, however. Its American!
    Whereas my sources refer to it as the:
    United Nations Designations For Aircraft Committee
    UNDeFAirCo

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Blimey ! Never heard of UNCFAD before - sounds like a wonderful vehicle for some men in suits awarding themselves huge salaries for doing , er, exactly what ? And why ? Does it still exist ?

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Lefty, UNCFAD was indeed created to find an extremely good paying home for failed politicians and....no qualifications or skills are needed. Members only must be able to change opinions/and or views at least as fast as the weather changes.
    Moses03, you are correct. The FAA register calls this twin tail as the Skycraft Industries 446 and the registration (N25607) was canceled only last October. I understand that during the late-1960 plans existed to re-engine the 446 with a Garrett AiResearch turbine, but this never took place., Then around 1999 a company named Square One Aviation (Mr. Elmer Ward) owned the 446 and planned to install a Continental IO-550. Seems this also never took place and I wonder what happened to the remains.
    BTW, I have seen this aircraft seen described as product of Skycrafters Industries, Inc, and of Skylark Manufacturing Company, Inc and of Skylark Industries, Inc an d the story goes several versions were planned as 445, 446 and 447 differing in engine.
    Sorry, no vacancies in UNCFAD.

Next one should be easy

On the Skycraft-

Some of you might have come across this from a google search. It's the original sales brochure:

http://www.cfiamerica.com/skycraft-447.html

The plane was put up for auction on Ebay last year. I had a picture of the fuselage in it's current state but have since lost it. Not sure if it sold or who owns it now. Would be an interesting restoration.

When Wout, with a twirl of his black moustache and a sadistic leer, says 'this one should be easy' you know it's a stinker.....

However, having been chastised for moaning about small aircraft, I have taken it to heart and decided to have a go at this one.

After losing a whole night's sleep eliminating the other 847 designs that all look similar to this one, I have decided it is a product of the Muegyetemi Sportrepulo Egyesulet. The M.19, to be precise. (HA-NAA ?)

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries

Now Lefty, don`t be too modest, If you put some time in it you can perform miracles. :salute:
    I would have accepted the Rubis M-19 also and yes it is HA-NAA
    You have unanimously been appointed as volunteer for the next one.

Moses03, thanks for the info on the Skylark. Hopefully someone will appreciate the historic value of such a one-of.

Thanks Wout. Let's see if I can get my own back with a , er.... light aircraft !

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    No takers?
    The Gaucher RG-75 (RG-75T) ?

Gaucher ? Known to most as the S.E.C.A.T. RG-75, I think.

Wout, I would most appreciate an insight into this from an acknowledged expert ! (as well as a new mystery)

Members who have read this thread: 85