Real footage of Yamamoto's plane shooting

Thread: Real footage of Yamamoto's plane shooting

Real footage of Yamamoto's plane shooting

redriver6
    if there had been cfs2 Betty gunners in those planes the sky would have been full of flaming P-38's..

That is some awesome footage Langereis (Long voyage?). THANKS.

Thank you Langaries!

I will make a few obsevation about this film clip. First of all the Betty was not as easy to shot down as previously been told by aviation Historian. The rear Gun torrent gunner was not as deadly as the Original Sim Betty is.

We where able to only shoot down the two Betty and no Zeroes where ever shot as per Japanese record in that mission.

We also exagerate a little bit with our arial record. Especialy in the PTO more than we did in the ETO. thats just my opinion. All Airforce exagarate with their record arial killing stats in WW2. Some more than other but without exception they all did.

Thank you again!

In some of the gun camera footage the Betty's are carrying Ohkas. Obviously not part of the Yamamoto shoot-down, but still some good video. They don't always go down in a sheet of flame after taking a few hits.

This is not Yamomoto's plane

Both pilots suceed to did an emergency landing at the jungle. One of the Bettys brokes its right wing. But it is an awesome footage.

After watching that excellent gun cam footage, thank you Langereis, I began to wonder if Yamamoto was shot and dead or fatally it by flying debris before the jungle ditching?

I started watching a few of the "related videos"...you have to see this maniac with wings in a Zero. Talk about precision flight maneuvers...I bet this pilot can put on a show!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rns3dLbanE

KG_Jag
    Interesting view and "reenactment" of the real event.

At least their was no footage of Hellcats and Corsairs like in the movie Midway.

Yamamoto's final moments.

I guess I'll weigh in here and relate what is written in the book "Fire in the Sky" by Eric Bergerud.
    In the book is an excerpt from Yamamoto's chief of staff, Admiral Matome Ugaki's diary, a diary he kept through out the war.

At the time of the attack the flight of six zero's and two Betty’s had descended to an approximate altitude of 700 to 800 meters in preparation of landing at Bougainville within 15 minutes, the time was 0730.
    At first Ugaki noticed the other Betty carrying the Japanese commander and chief, suddenly dive toward the jungle to an altitude of approximately 50 meters. this was the beginning of the attack.
    Both bombers according to the account were able to evade the P-38's for a short time but they eventually got split up and the last Ugaki saw of his commanders plane, it was emitting black smoke and on fire, brushing the tree tops. At this point Ugaki's plane turned sharply again to evade another P-38 attack and when the Betty leveled out again the only thing visible where Yamamoto's plane had been was a pall of black smoke.
    Ugaki's plane was shortly then shot down making a full speed cart wheeling crash landing just off shore. He and two others where the only survivors from that bomber.
    When the Japanese Army made it to the crash site of Yamamotos plane the next morning, they found no survivors and most of the crew were burned badly. Yamamoto was found ejected but still in his seat clutching his sword.
    The postmortem showed that Yamamoto had been struck by two 50 caliber rounds and had probably died instantly while still airborne.

The book goes into much more detail and I highly recommend reading it.

Also p14u2nv, just a heads up, those are a couple of CGI Georges found here... http://www.k4.dion.ne.jp/~suppon/

Cheers

g

Quote Originally Posted by p14u2nv View Post
    After watching that excellent gun cam footage, thank you Langereis, I began to wonder if Yamamoto was shot and dead or fatally it by flying debris before the jungle ditching?
    According to what I've read, when the search party reached the crash site they found Yamamoto's body still strapped in his seat and thrown clear of the wreckage. He had received two bullet wounds, one in his back (I think) and one in his neck or lower jaw. I suspect he was dead before the plane crashed.

Thanks TARPS, I never took the time to find out actually.