Vista Service Pack 2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vista Service Pack 2

Blog Entries

Vista Service Pack 2

Hi everyone,
    Vista service pack 2 is out, so lets see if that makes ant differance.

Ian

Aw ok, who first?:mixedsmi:
    Mathias

harleyman
    YUP...Been waiting for it to be offered to me too !

So far on this new box I have had NO issues at all..So lets see if SP2 brings some into the mix....LOL

Blog Entries
    I'm insatling it as I as I speak, so fingers crossed.

Ian

Hmm, windows update doesn't tell me anything about SP2.
    It just wants me to install IE 'phone home' 8.
    Mathias

As Vista isnt my primary OS I'm game for a laugh.
    Off to find and install it now, wish me luck.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Blog Entries
    Got it testing today and tomorrow as I have opportunity
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

6297J
    Taking the plunge ..................................... :cost1:

humm... after i get windows 7 lol kinda funny realy oh well im happy with windows 7. but im sure i will DL it for my other computers in the house though...
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Have it, didn´t notice any differences yet, FS might be about 0.2 frames faster under heavy load, but that may have other reasons as well...
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Blog Entries
    First impressions are good. FSX seems to be a little smoother with less stuttering, although on one occasion when I did get a stutter the sound seamed to stutter as well.
    I haven’t found any derogatory effects so far.
    One funny thing is that on my system I was never offered service pack 1 as a windows update, I had to download it and installed it manually but with service pack 2 it came via Windows update, strange that!
    Regards,
    Ian.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

dhazelgrove
    Not been offered it yet.....

Dave

Who jumps first?

Had enough trouble with Vista until I got it the way I want, how smooth does it install over SP1, any need to restore all settings???

Alex
    Dont grow up! ... It´s a trap!

Retired SOH Administrator
    Seems ok on my system so far...the only thing I saw was after it said to reboot for it to take effect eyes rebooted and when it restarted it caught my pooter on fire...other that it is ok.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Downloading now, so here's hoping!

Blog Entries
    No problems at all.

Ian

No problems to report here.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

***Hides behind the desk, waiting for his Vista to go kaboom!***

Charter Member 2016
    Any change in RAM useage? How about CPU load?
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hey_moe View Post
    Seems ok on my system so far...the only thing I saw was after it said to reboot for it to take effect eyes rebooted and when it restarted it caught my pooter on fire...other that it is ok.
    well i got bread we can have toasted sarnies
    not on my list for downloads
    ill wait an see
    H

I just got a new system up and running. After a solid week and 1/2 of reinstalls later, I would rather cut in line at the 20 items or less at Walmart with 2 buggies loaded.
    I will sit back and let you daredevils go at this one. Let us know.

Nowhere at all as painful as I was expecting it to be. Took about 10 minutes or so. Everything is fine so far.

StickMan
    Quote Originally Posted by EMatheson View Post
    Any change in RAM useage? How about CPU load?
    If you tweaked your Vista SP1 then if you install SP2 you will need to redo MSCONFIG and Services.msc. Some of the CPU processes and Services that are un-needed to most that eats RAM or CPU threads come back after SP2 install. I was at 32 Process and after installing SP2 was back to mid 40s. So after install I had to re-labotomized Vista to get back to 32 processes and 850MB RAM v.s 44 Processes and 1.35GB RAM usage at start up.

To everyone being worried about installing SP2, Vista has been stable for awhile now given most daily use so no worries all is good here.

6297J
    Quote Originally Posted by StickMan View Post
    If you tweaked your Vista SP1 then if you install SP2 you will need to redo MSCONFIG and Services.msc. Some of the CPU processes and Services that are un-needed to most that eats RAM or CPU threads come back after SP2 install. I was at 32 Process and after installing SP2 was back to mid 40s. So after install I had to re-labotomized Vista to get back to 32 processes and 850MB RAM v.s 44 Processes and 1.35GB RAM usage at start up.

To everyone being worried about installing SP2, Vista has been stable for awhile now given most daily use so no worries all is good here.
    Everything I disabled in MSConfig and Services is exactly as it was before SP2.
    I would have disabled them even before SP1, if that makes a difference.

StickMan
    Quote Originally Posted by 6297J View Post
    Everything I disabled in MSConfig and Services is exactly as it was before SP2.
    I would have disabled them even before SP1, if that makes a difference.
    Well not all services came back, one or two did and some older processes related to sound came back. Also not everyone runs the same Windows OS as in Home, Ultimate etc (witch have different services), application/programs and services based on the LAN network/home media needs. This is why some peoples configuration remain the same while other may need to readjust things maybe. Regardless after updated both these places are worth a look to see what your running. I know I was running a lot more then I was before and needed to re config a few thing to bring back the way I had.