The Lethal Legacy of World War II

Thread: The Lethal Legacy of World War II

Nausicaa

The Lethal Legacy of World War II

An interesting article about the legacy of bombs in Germany:
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/...584091,00.html

hewman100
    Which applies equally to several areas within the UK as well.

What M$ could have done
    I am a great fan of the BBC series: Danger UXB
    sadly it goes on
    thanks for sharing.

And Cambodia, Viet Nam, Chad, the Horn of Africa and Bosnia remain riddled with all manner of nasties.
    Interesting read and I certainly dips me lid to the gentleman concerned.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Seems like they would make more money selling the more preserved shell casings/inert bomb casings to collectors than as scrap metal. I know I'd love to have a German 88 shell casing to display.

OBIO

Lightbulb

Add the Balkans to the list too....

Bottom line is that where ever on the globe that modern war occurred,
    land mines & UXOs will always remain...

Quote Originally Posted by hewman100 View Post
    Which applies equally to several areas within the UK as well.

There is a small difference of scale. Towards the end of the war, the allied air forces were capable of delivering to a single target in 24 hours roughly the same tonnage as was dropped on England in the entire blitz.
    I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine.
    Bertrand Russell
    British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)

Charter Member 2011
    is there still a sunken merchant ship full of explosives in the mouth of the thames?? saw a tele program on it a while back and they where at the stage of wondering weather or not to raise it. They said if they left it there to rust n such it might blow up and have the force of a small nuke, but if they tried to raise it they risked setting it off anyway :isadizzy:
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

It may have been here (pre-crash) that I read about the gas shells from WWI still laying about. That scares me worse than getting blown up. I live just outside of a Civil War battlefield in N. GA named Chickamauga and as recently as this year there were cannon shells still being discovered in the farm fields just outside of the park. I find bullets on my property all the time, down by the creeks.

Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    is there still a sunken merchant ship full of explosives in the mouth of the thames?? saw a tele program on it a while back and they where at the stage of wondering weather or not to raise it. They said if they left it there to rust n such it might blow up and have the force of a small nuke, but if they tried to raise it they risked setting it off anyway :isadizzy:
    Its still there:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...d.php?t=126960

Best wishes
    Steve P

hewman100
    The amount of this stuff that still remains to be found is frightening and that's just the areas that supposedly had been marked on a map.

When I was stationed with the air force in the Philippines, I lived off base in the local town. Next to the compound was a very large area filled with scrap metal left over from WW2. A Japanese company bought it and started shipping it out on cargo ships. In the field, before they bought it, I would walk around to see what I could find. I saw a couple old trucks and pieces of equipment rusting away. As they were moving it all out, they located some old bullets, rifle grenades (just the outer metal shells) and a 250 pound bomb. There were no fins or fuses in the bomb, but they were going to send it to the smelter to be melted down. I happened to catch the guy that was overseeing the shipping of the metal, and mentioned the bomb to him. Thats when I found out what they were going to do with it. I suggested he take it out to the deepest part of the ocean and shove it overboard and forget he ever had it, as I believed it would probably explode if they stuck it in that furnace to be melted down. I think it still had it's TNT inside. Just seeing it lay there next to my house was enough to worry me, even though I knew it shouldn't explode without it's fuse. There were also live bombs found on Clark AFB when I was there as well. EOD was called in to deactivate them.

Happiness Consultant
    Not necessarily from just WW2 .. but any armed conflict ..

http://www.landmines.org.uk/
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted