My hometown is stupid

Thread: My hometown is stupid

My hometown is stupid

I can't believe they are getting rid of "that thing", as some would call it.:isadizzy:

I guess in the bigger picture of things, this bird will get what it deserves, a rebuild and people to care after it.

Evergreen Air & Space Museum Receives Helena EC-121T 52-3417 – May 20, 2009

Back in November 2008 I received an email from friend, and fellow aviation enthusiast Bob Bogash, forwarding a very interesting email he had received from Blair McAnally. As reported on this website on November 8, 2008 and December 26, 2008 , the University of Montana – Helena College of Technology had declared long-time training airframe EC-121T 52-3417 surplus and were looking for a new home for the veteran aircraft. Blair, who is a Production Superintendent at the 120th FW of the Montana Air National Guard, was leading the charge on saving the aircraft and my November 8, 2008 news article generated quite a bit of interest in the museum and warbird communities. I’m happy to report today that the old Connie has found a home at the Evergreen Air & Space Museum and that the paperwork transferring ownership to the museum was signed yesterday in Salem, Montana by GSA and museum representatives.

<CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=10 cellPadding=0 width=960 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=300></TD><TD align=middle width=300></TD><TD align=middle width=300></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>The aircraft has been a fixture at the College of Technology since July 1981 when it was flown to Helena after being retired by the USAF. The college used it for training aircraft maintenance techs until recently when it was declared surplus to the school’s needs. While the school wanted to find a good home for the veteran aircraft, there was a very real possibility of it being scrapped if a new home couldn’t be found. A number of organizations expressed an interest in obtaining the aircraft with plans varying from stripping it for parts to fully restoring it for display.

I first became aware of Evergreen’s interest in the aircraft in early February 2009 when I received an email from the museum’s curator, Stewart Bailey, saying he had read about the aircraft on my website and asking for Blair McAnally’s contact information. We have been in contact since then and I was very pleased to hear from Stewart on Thursday May 14th that the museum had been selected by GSA to receive the aircraft. This is indeed good news for all involved as the McMinnville, Oregon based museum has ambitious plans for restoring the aircraft.

The museum plans to make the aircraft airworthy and flying it from Helena to their overhaul and maintenance base at Marana, Arizona, where a complete inside-out restoration will be performed. According to Stewart, the restoration will take at least six months after which the EC-121T will make her final flight to museum headquarters in McMinnville where she will be put on permanent static display. At this time, the museum has no plans for keeping the aircraft airworthy. The interior of the aircraft, essentially complete after all these years, will be restored to absolutely military stock, and possibly be opened up for public display. One member of the Evergreen team, JR Kern, was part of the crew that flew 52-3417 from Tucson to Helena back in 1981. That flight was commanded by Frank Lang, of MATS Connie fame, and JR was his young co-pilot. JR was lead mechanic and flight engineer for Vern Raburn’s Constellation Group, which flew the MATS Connie (N494TW) on the US airshow circuit from 1992 through 2004. JR will be part of the team that gets the EC-121T ready for her ferry flight back to Marana, which is a few miles north of Tucson. JR and his involvement with this aircraft appear to have come full circle after almost 30 years!

With any luck, we may witness two EC-121’s take to the air in the next 12 months! Keep posted for updates on this very exciting development. For additional information about the project, a very interesting article was published May 18th on the Victoria Advocate website.

Great Connie website
    http://www.conniesurvivors.com/index.htm#top

Blog Entries
    yup. your hometown is not exactly firing on all eight cylinders.. Thank the gods for that.. This poor ole bird is finally gonna get treated like the queen she is, instead of just one more surface for some kid to stick his bubblegum on..

Well, McMinnville isn't exactly my home town, but it's just down the road. We'll take good care of your birdie.

It's not quite the little kids amusement park yet, <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" stroked="f" coordsize="21600,21600" filled="f" oreferrelative="t" o:spt="75"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><vath o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></vath><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype> But then again, it's not too far off I believe. I bet there is a ton of dust and sun damage to it. (I haven’t seen her in quite a few years)

Yes that will be a very nice stay for her. But, by the sound of things, she will be parked again for quite some time. Oh well, at least she won't get in any accidents that way.

I can't wait to see some pictures after she get the rebuild, yaaaa!

Did you all watch the video of the N749NL being rolled out of the hanger at the site above? Ummm, good stuff.

harleyman
    Well its nice to see she might get a well needed rebuild someday at least...

It would, be great to see her in the air again...

I spent a lot of time on the Navy version of that plane. Hope she gets a nice refurb and a home where she is appreciated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Reggie Fields, KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

Hey Marlin,
    I was gonna suggest in your thread on the almost homeless Connie over at TFF that you also post that story over here too...but lo and behold you already did!

Glad to see it's got a home...the poor thing looked awful sad the couple times I saw it sitting out in the weather. I doubt I'll ever get that far west to see her in person once she's all refurb'd, but I'm glad it's gonna happen!

BTW...I'm gonna move this up to Newshawks.

By the way, you're not the only one who's a little embarrassed of his hometown. When I was a kid, I used to play under the wheels of Memphis Belle. She was sitting on a concrete pedestal in front of the National Guard armory, fully exposed to the elements and slowly disintegrating. I was sad to see her leave Memphis, but I think she's got a much brighter future in the hands of the Air Force.

Call me stupid if you like but....what's that big blob on the top for ??

Quote Originally Posted by demorier View Post
    Call me stupid if you like but....what's that big blob on the top for ??
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

It's a 'Radome', no idea what it model housed but it complemented the belly mounted gear.
    I'll lay even money both housings are empty nowadays.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Oh....thanks for that.

So we are looking at getting another Connie restored to airworthy condition? I think the transfer is a good idea! I'd much rather see classic aircraft fully restored and even airworthy rather than relegated to a public park display. Sometimes public park displays get into really poor condition, then someone decides it is an eyesore and a liability. The next thing you know, it's been sold to a scrap metal recycling company.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.