Video Card Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Card Advice

Video Card Advice

ATI 4870 with 1 gig of VRam or this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127426

MSI N260GTX-T2D896-OCv3 GeForce GTX 260 896MB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI

It would be $170 but I think the cooling system would allow a nice Overclock if I wanted.

Not sure how the gtx260 stacks up against the 4870 with latest drivers.

GTX260 would be better for FSX.

On Another Planet
    I have a EVGA GTX 260 superclocked edition core 216. I have it slightly overclocked but you cant o.c too much as it causes freezing. I love the thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click my sig for my Flickr

Nvidia for FSX. Period.
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

harleyman
    I have a ATi 3850 512 256 bit that just rocks FSX..Beautiful colors...

YUP..It cost 59 bucks.........

As far as I'm concerned there is no advantage or disasvantage going with Nvidia.....

wow thats the first positive review ive heard from an ati user lol
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

um heres what i have to sugest

NVIDIA 9800 GT (if u want to go cheep)
    Nvidia 9800 GTX+ (better choice)
    Nvidia GTX 260 best for bucks
    Nvidia GTX 280 or 285 probly the best for right now

Ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJames170 View Post
    um heres what i have to sugest

NVIDIA 9800 GT (if u want to go cheep)
    Nvidia 9800 GTX+ (better choice)
    Nvidia GTX 260 best for bucks
    Nvidia GTX 280 or 285 probly the best for right now

Ryan
    yeah, from my research this is what I kinda figured but the 4870 was kind of a wild card in the bunch because I wasn't sure how it would run in FSX. It has more memory and faster memory which I would have thought would have been a big plus for FSX especially since I run full AA, anisotropic filtering, and light bloom at 1920X1200. I just never hear anyone saying that the 4870 is better though.

harleyman
    No such thing as better or worse..

All cards run on different configed puters will give different results...

It just depends on what you like and are used to...

Most using Nvidia are forced to run NHancer for AA...With ATI its set and forget for me with my 3850 and my 4870X2 cards.....

No problems here with eighter of them.....

JSpal
    I have a 4870 1GB card and I love it.

My previous card was an Nvidia 8800 512mb and the ATI I have now blows it away. A comparable Nvidia card may be better for FSX, but I haven't run into anything in FSX that the ATI card can't handle.

I went with the ATI card because my mobo (Asus P5Q Deluxe) is crossfire capable (in case I decide to upgrade in the future), but it won't do SLI.

Well, I'm going to look for a new videocard this summer too .

What do you think of a GTX 295 ? I read in a review it has two GPU's in one single card, with a piece of metal in between for the cooling.
    It may be the most expensive one of the GTX 2xx series, but you have to keep in mind it actually counts for two...
    Please let me know about spelling and grammatical errors in my English, thank you!
    Aeropedia.be photographer
    Flightlevel.be photographer, editor and forum administrator
    So drink to the Black Cat PBY,
    Damnedest old plane in all God's sky,
    BB-gun for'd and a slingshot aft,
    Hundred twenty knots when in a forced draft.

Sony DSLR-A350 + 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 + 55-200mm F4-5.6 + 70-400G F4-5.6 SSM (all lenses made by Sony). All in a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW backpack.
    My Flickr photostream.

harleyman
    FSX will never use that cards abality....It can only see and use one core Joris..

My cheap little 3850 ATI at 60 bucks is actually better for FSX than my 4870X2 ATI at 450 bucks new as its also a dual core GPU..FSX just does not care for or like any X2 cards IMO..Its just a waste unless you play many other games that might use a dual GPU card......

It is a sad fact that FSX just likes one GPU, my second card is waste.

Blog Entries
    First let me qualify this by saying I am not speaking as a STAFF member. I have not been active STAFF for quite a while due to some unfortunate personal circumstances. But I get sick and tired of so-called "experts" putting ATI down when they really have not done any testing of the product as an engineer would!

Second,
    People on this forum are depending on solid advice from professionals and users who truly give qualified not biased opinion. Don't diss a product unless you fully understand it. You can't believe everything you read on the Internet including reviews. Reviews can be biased and if you have ever tested anything you know that you can test with the outcome already know if you know the strenghts and weaknesses of a product. Unfortunately there are many amatuers who build a computer and think they really know what they are doing because they got lucky once.

Third, FSX is a finicky, patched up, monstrosity that just happens to look and run really good when configured properly.
    ..by the way, I like it! I recommend using Nick N's FSX guides for that info. I am aware he is biased toward Nvidia but I have gotten just a good results with ATI. I have posted many pictures with fps speeds on this forum to prove it.

I'm not sure just how ATI got such a bad reputation for FSX but it is totally unwarranted. They had one driver in the last year that would not run X-PLane(not a great loss in my opinion)

I test for TechCorp every other month and we test ATI and Nvidia cards in all kinds of configurations. James(An ex-NASA Systems Engineer with an MIT degreee) and I are the only ones who test cards in FSX and other games. All the other engineers test only other hardware equipment speeds with video cards. We have yet to come across an ATI card that does not render FSX as nicely as the Nvidia cards if not better in some cases. It is all in the setup. You have to know what you are doing with Catalyst and/or ATI Tray Tools to make them perform. I had listed a guide on here how to use it. You use it with Catalyst loaded. Besides most of your speed inside of the flightsim comes from your motherboard, CPU, memory configuation anyway.

In spite of the CRAP I read at Tom's hardware, I find the HD4850, 4870, and 4890 run FSX as well as the Nivdia 9800 series, GTX 275, 285, and 295 in FSX. I own an HD4850 on a Gigabyte EP45 UD3P motherboard, E8400 processor with Windows XP64 oc'd to 3.8Ghz, and I own a Gigabyte X48-DQ6 with E8600, and an Nvidia BFG GTX285 OC clocked at 3.8ghz. The 512mb ATI HIS HD4850 renders as much and as nicely as the GTX285. It also is capable of running the same frame rates as the GTX285 in FSX only. If yours is not doing that, then you are doing something wrong. It is not the fault of ATI.

The newest Catalyst drivers are better for the HD4850, HD4870, and HD4890 but some of the HD3850s run them without a problem. Nvidia, however creates some of the crapiest drivers I have ever encountered, except for the latest three sets. And in FSX you really need to use nHancer to fully enjoy great screens with FSX and most games. Either way you decide to go with your video card take the time to learn how to get the most out of it. If you are using and Intel board that does CROSSFIRE you may still use one Nvidia card if you like and not concern yourself with CROSSFIRE. On the X58 boards most them will allow you to go CROSSFIRE or SLI, a really nice feature! However in FSX it does nothing for you. Blame Microsoft not ATI or Nvidia for that.

It has been a while since I stepped on some toes so this has been a long time coming LOL. I will step off my soapbox now.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

harleyman
    Thanks for the knowledge Ted......

I too like ATI..

BVuy the way..I am using the latest CCC for my 3850 and its flawless with just basic set-up..AA and AF and I'm flying..

I posted my set up above in the tweaks forum.(I think there..LOL)

I'm rather surprised with the news FSX doesn't benefit from SLI or Crossfire.

I have knowledge of two people having two videocards (a good friend of mine has got 2x 8800GT, and a chap on a Belgian flight sim forum - thought it's a while ago I heard anything from him - has got 2x 8800GTX 640MB).
    Wouter, with the 8800GT's, 4 GB of RAM and a Q6600 2.4 gHz reports less framerates with FSX when SLI is disabled.

So, if I don't pick a GTX 295, which Nvidia 2 series do you recommend the most ? The 260,275, 280, 285 ?

And I'd like to know a bit more about the load on the videocard with some add-on planes. The CH Fw-190A runs nicely on my old rig. If you check Lotus' blog however, you see that his upcoming L-39 Albatross is yet another one that will load more onto the videocard rather than on the CPU, in Lotus' words; " Where it belongs. ", if I remember that correctly.
    Please let me know about spelling and grammatical errors in my English, thank you!
    Aeropedia.be photographer
    Flightlevel.be photographer, editor and forum administrator
    So drink to the Black Cat PBY,
    Damnedest old plane in all God's sky,
    BB-gun for'd and a slingshot aft,
    Hundred twenty knots when in a forced draft.

Sony DSLR-A350 + 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 + 55-200mm F4-5.6 + 70-400G F4-5.6 SSM (all lenses made by Sony). All in a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW backpack.
    My Flickr photostream.

harleyman
    If I was running Nvidia..I would choose the 275 myself...

I had sli 8800Ultras once for FSX.....It provided great frames..but it was just not very stable..One minute it was good.The next the fames were dropping way low...My fromes went from 140 plus down to 18 - 25 constantly with SLI on.....

For me it was just not a great experience for FSX..But it rocked other games....

You cant go wrong with either the 280 or 285, the 285 is basicly a slightly higher clocked less power consuming version of the 280, but its got excellent memory bandwidth and memory amount and its got a kickass GPU.
    Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth P67
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4GHz
    GPU: XFX GTX 470 1280MB, 607/1215/3350MHz
    Sound: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3, 1866MHz CL9
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 320GB
    FSX HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 250GB

6297J
    Well put Ted, we do have this discussion every few months and it gets very silly very quickly. Another vote for ATI here though. My 4870x2 has been a revelation in FSX and every other game I play as well as Photoshop! I don't know how many GPUs it uses or what the frame rates are and I don't care - it simply couldn't be better and I love it!

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by 6297J View Post
    Well put Ted, we do have this discussion every few months and it gets very silly very quickly. Another vote for ATI here though. My 4870x2 has been a revelation in FSX and every other game I play as well as Photoshop! I don't know how many GPUs it uses or what the frame rates are and I don't care - it simply couldn't be better and I love it!

LOL A man after my own heart....Well said !

StickMan
    I have owned may computers and as far as performance there fine each really (But Nvidia seams to have more power) As far as drivers, the stability of the computer over time is different. 80% of my ATI cards can not run for days never the less weeks without frating out. Like my home media server, got it with a ATI OEM so I ran it, only to have ATI driver effors while streaming media over LAN etc, and one was a laptop that would run good for a few hours only to crash from ATI driver stop responding then BSOD. Had a Nvidia put in same Laptop and it can run for days without crashing same for media server. Maybe ATI and me don't match up but I do not suport them but don't bash them either. But if someone is asking I say go with Nvidia.

Blog Entries
    ATI HIS HD4850 pic over Bellingham WA..how sweet it is

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    ATI HIS HD4850 pic over Bellingham WA..how sweet it is

Me thinks you should give me your Cat.......Beautiful ....

Blog Entries
    Here is a couple more, and by the way...thank you to a friend who wished to remain anonymous for the gift of the PBY. I love this amphibian!
    Ted

Well I have had my new Sapphire Toxic 4870 1 gig card for 2 days and ready to throw it against the wall. My stutters on my I7 system are worse than the 512 4870 and I get white ground flashing. Ive tried every tweek there is and still have stutters. TBM,Bufferpools,lowering the clocks,Catalyst settings......... I am open to ideas but I am tired of fooling with settings and ready to write this off as a lesson learned.