Video Card Advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video Card Advice

harleyman
    Don't run that unlimited...Try locking at 35 and see ....

Did you have an ATI card before this one?

Did you do a clean uninstall of the drivers with a driver sweeper?

You might still have Nvidia remiments there if you were running Nvidia before..

Also if you went from one ATI card to another you need to reinstall the CCC and drivers with a vid card switch possibly..

Brand new machine Vista 64, 6 gigs I7. Nothing but 2 4870s have ever been installed both with the same latest drivers. But yes, I removed and cleaned the drivers out betreen card changes.No Nvidia crap loaded but I may end up getting one.

harleyman
    Hmmmmmmmm Very odd....Let me think...Its hard for me to do..

i feel your frustration...I have been there too...It bites badly...

harleyman
    Have you unlocked OverDrive yet?

What are your card temps flying?

I run my fan manually at 70%

My os is C. For some reason during the driver installs, its says a error message to the effect that there is not enough space on d: when installing the net framework. Only a few kbs but d is a dvd/cd drive. When manually tried to install it, dotnet stll tried to use d:. No way I see to direct it to c: WTF??? I am not really warming up to Vista.

harleyman
    Hmm...It seems that you might be having some OS issues....You have just one HDD ?

harleyman
    I never install FSX till windows finishes all its updates...that can take a few days too...

No I do not sleep much.
    Well I uninstalled 9.4s when I saw 9.5s were the latest. Then tried driver sweeper instead of driver cleaner. Sweeper found some msc stuff still in the reg. Rebooted then did it again. Installed the latest directx10. I learned that if you search for example, latest version "add what it is here" and even if the page is say, Microsoft or ATI, IT DOESNT MEAN THAT IT IS THE LATEST. It could and can be a old page.It could be 1990. Gotta be on ya toes. Anyways, reinstalled the "latest" ATI driver and BAM. FSX ran smooth with the f-18 hauling ass. Real test was loading the a2a p47. Some stutters but I was seeing 50s and 60s unlimited. Against everything I have ever tried before with setting a lock,I set it at 30 and the stutters stopped. Really smooth and a good 1980x1050 on a 32 inch lcd. Now I can go to bed. Computer might not boot up in the morning and FSX will probably have figured a way to morph back into a stuttering,flashing nightmare of code. Gotta love it.

Blog Entries
    Howdy JimJam, sorry I pulled a late nighter. I could not get on the network in time to do anything for you it appears. Looks like ya got 'er whipped so good on ya. I hope tomorrow is a great day of flightsimming for ya!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

harleyman
    Yea...Great news.....

It really seemed to be driver or OS related.. Good to hear that it is flying strong again..

Enjoy that new card now....:ernae:

thanks for all the input, I just ordered this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150330

$170 after rebate with a couple $50 games. 24hr newegg special.

XFX GX260NADBF GeForce GTX 260 Black Edition Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI

<TABLE class=specification cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=name>Brand</TD><TD class=desc>XFX</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Model</TD><TD class=desc>GX260NADBF</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Interface</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Interface</TD><TD class=desc>PCI Express 2.0 x16</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Chipset</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Chipset Manufacturer</TD><TD class=desc>NVIDIA</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>GPU</TD><TD class=desc>GeForce GTX 260</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Core Clock</TD><TD class=desc>666MHz</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Stream Processors</TD><TD class=desc>216 Processor Cores</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Memory</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Memory Clock</TD><TD class=desc>2300MHz</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Memory Size</TD><TD class=desc>896MB</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Memory Interface</TD><TD class=desc>448-bit</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Memory Type</TD><TD class=desc>GDDR3</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>3D API</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>DirectX</TD><TD class=desc>DirectX 10</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>OpenGL</TD><TD class=desc>OpenGL 2.1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

harleyman
    Sweet................

dadmod
    Well said, Ted. :-)
    I'm happy with my ATI 4850 too