512 vs 1 gig cards - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 512 vs 1 gig cards

As promised. Got in my Sapphire Toxic 4870 1 gig card and here are my initial impressions over the Sapphire 4870 512.
    First off, I had the settings tweeked and overall happy with the 512 card.
    Installed the card, NICE vapor-X heat sink. Anyways, stutter city and flashing white ground textures. Went to the Catalyst and let the prog set the clocks. Same result. Went back to stock. Same.
    Reduced them to gpu 780 and 1000 on the memory. Better but still see some ground flashes. So far it runs worse than the 512 with the exception of loading. Changing views,internal ,external are instant. I am going to fool around some more with the hundreds of possible combinations of settings to try and eliminate the stutters. I tried adding bufferpools in various amounts but see no effect.TBM is at 70 and I may change it around.

harleyman
    It must be a setting like AA or AF...

Or a corrupt driver..Did you uninstall the CCC before you added the new card ? If not it might need to be done, then reinstalled...

Be sure to use a driver cleaner too..

Its usually almost always ocing or running the cards memory too high. FSX is real picky about fooling with memory. Ive lowered it to stock settings and its better but I still see the occasional white section of land flashing. Going to do a reinstall of the vid driver. Its basically the same card,same driver just with slightly higher timings and more memory so I cant imagine it being a driver issue but then again nothing surprises me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Ouch.

Let's just hope 7 abandons that dictatorship of security systems.
    Dream on! Windows 7 security is a nightmare!!!
    Sersiously... i despise this "ownership" crap they got in Windows 7, makes me want to puke.
    Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth P67
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4GHz
    GPU: XFX GTX 470 1280MB, 607/1215/3350MHz
    Sound: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3, 1866MHz CL9
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 320GB
    FSX HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 250GB

I have been into sims since Microprose f119 stealth fighter on a Tandy 20 mgz computer that cost me $3 grand. All I gotta say is I look forward to the day when I can toss the computer in the trash and fly a good sim on a console. I enjoyed tweeking games but I am just sick of it. Neither ATI or Nvidia ever gave a rats ass about any of the MS sims and although there are some great guides out there, its still alot of blind luck involved in running the sim. Hell I guess I will dig out my old 8800gt and reload XP.

harleyman
    I think you must have traces of old Nvidia drivers still there..

I'm still running FSX on Vista 64 with a E5200 and a 3850 ATI card flawless..No set up at all ...

You got something going on there I believe...

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    Ive lowered it to stock settings and its better but I still see the occasional white section of land flashing. Going to do a reinstall of the vid driver.
    Already tried different Bufferpools values?

It fixed my garbled graphics on the 4850 pretty well, so it might as well fix your flashing terrain.

As for that "gonna dig out the 8800GT" sentence, I'd really like to show you my "I told you so" dance, but I don't have a webcam.

Firstly though, I'd try a complete reinstall like Harleyman suggested. If the situation doesn't improve after that, I'd sell that 4870 and swap it out for a NVidia card. ATI and FSX simply isn't a perfect combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
    Dream on! Windows 7 security is a nightmare!!!
    Sersiously... i despise this "ownership" crap they got in Windows 7, makes me want to puke.
    As long as it's disabled in admin mode...

harleyman
    Already tried different Bufferpools values?

As for that "gonna dig out the 8800GT" sentence, I'd really like to show you my "I told you so" dance, but I don't have a webcam.

ATI and FSX simply isn't a perfect combination.

Your first statement is totally not called for....

As far as your second statement...NOTHING could be further from the truth... ATI works equally as well as nvidia for all games and Sims....

The truth is there is NO perfect combination for FSX...Some just work and others of the same config struggle....

Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    ATI works equally as well as nvidia for all games and Sims....
    Actually thats not entirely true, some games are specificly optimized for Nvidia cards and others utilize some features exclusive to nvidia cards with CUDA support.
    Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth P67
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4GHz
    GPU: XFX GTX 470 1280MB, 607/1215/3350MHz
    Sound: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3, 1866MHz CL9
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 320GB
    FSX HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 250GB

After Acceleration was released, I like alot about gave up totally on FSX. My Asus/Nvidia/AMD system DID NOT like Accel. I had every problem there is so I removed it. With Nhancer/8800gt I was able to get FSX to at least run albeit I never got a good clean picture and had the dreaded menu crashes. Then the 4870 arrived with rave reviews. I installed it and gave Nvidia the finger. They were proof of what having NO competition can do to a company. At the time I was also playing Cyrsis, Bioshock,Swat and other pc titles and the ATI RULED. Except on FSX of course. Now that I have converted over to console with the exception of FSX,Ati had better pull a rabbit out of its hat cause I have no real reason to stick with them. I am still getting the occasion micro stutters and even on a slow plane doing less than 200, a external view a I can see blurries and watch them fill in. Shouldnt be happening on a I7,6 gigs,1 gig card. My last system was a amd fx-64 dual core ,XP with 2 gigs bloated with every addon known to man and my perfomance gain isnt night and day. I understand FSX is a fossil tech wise but I am not going to build another custom uber machine and watch its price 1/2 in 3 months. Ive got a Delorean and 2 girlfreinds to pay for. I will let you guys chase the Holy grail of FSX setups cause Im done chasing that carrot.
    I still want to find out why I am getting these random chunks of ground flashing white. Looks simular to the common runway flashing but a large randomly sized chunk not squares.
    Sorry I am so wordy but a cup of coffee and Lyrica with a Lortab will do that to ya.

Your first statement is totally not called for....
    ?

As far as your second statement...NOTHING could be further from the truth... ATI works equally as well as nvidia for all games and Sims....
    ...except FSX.

As good as the image quality delivered by ATI may be, a 60 to 70 per cent drop in frame rates in clouds is not acceptable in any way!

Blog Entries
    ?

...except FSX.

As good as the image quality delivered by ATI may be, a 60 to 70 per cent drop in frame rates in clouds is not acceptable in any way!

I agree so why don't you, as an engineering student, learn how to set your ATI card up correctly because I have demonstrated over and over again that there is a negligible frame drop of one or two fps. I will gladly post again the pics over New York, in a raging storm, fps rate of 30 with an ATI HD 4850 taken in sequence all at the same time frame.

People in here depend on accurate, unbiased opinion. If you don't know how to set your ATI card up, just ask. I will be glad to help
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    OT/TO please, With Nvidia 9500GT 1 gig on my beta computer the last drivers released for W7 64, I beleive are 185 series released may 6th are causing me a micro stutter issues. Any ideas on how to rid these micro stutters and can I use the roll back function to roll back my driver to the one that worked before nividia fubared the latest drivers.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

harleyman
    Trans..

Look in your FSX config ...

Hunt for ...Texture_Bandwidth_Multiplier =40

Once found try changing the value of 40 to 60 thru 90 ..One at a time...Change the value and save then test it out...

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    I agree so why don't you, as an engineering student, learn how to set your ATI card up correctly because I have demonstrated over and over again that there is a negligible frame drop of one or two fps. I will gladly post again the pics over New York, in a raging storm, fps rate of 30 with an ATI HD 4850 taken in sequence all at the same time frame.
    I traded the HD4850 in for a 9800GTX+, which runs pretty much everything way better than the 4850 ever did, so no need for the setup suggestion.

Despite that, I have tried to get a good setup for the ATI by every means possible, but to no avail.

People in here depend on accurate, unbiased opinion. If you don't know how to set your ATI card up, just ask. I will be glad to help.
    It wasn't a setup problem. The card didn't play well with the other components or a fresh Windows or simply with FSX and my preferred settings for it. Period.

It is understood that your mileages surely vary, but mine was too low and so the card had to go.

I have recommended ATI cards to people before and still do. Those people, however, do not use FSX at all.

Blog Entries
    One things I discovered with the ATI cards is that HIS and Sapphire cards require ATI TRAY TOOLS in order to operate well as these cards are much faster than the standard ATI video cards in most cases. I did manage to get Catalyst to work on the HIS HD4850 Turbo but with much trial and error. I posted an ATI TRAY TOOL Guide on here somewhere. I highly recommend it if you OC your video card at all.
    Ted

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Trans..

Look in your FSX config ...

Hunt for ...Texture_Bandwidth_Multiplier =40

Once found try changing the value of 40 to 60 thru 90 ..One at a time...Change the value and save then test it out...
    Hehe FSX wife slapped me with her prop again. I forgot to rebuild my config after driver update. I just did that and my stutters went byby, so I put the FSX wife back in her place and satisfied. Thanks Harleyman

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    I highly recommend it if you OC your video card at all.
    ATI Tray Tools is mandatory for any ATI card user, thanks to the ability to change AA/AF settings on the fly and creating profiles for games.

harleyman
    ATI Tray Tools is mandatory for any ATI card user, thanks to the ability to change AA/AF settings on the fly and creating profiles for games.

I have a VisionTec 4870X2 and never needed Tray Tools...

I have a 3850 and never needed Tray Tools or Riva Tuner eighter ...

Then you're missing out on a lot since ATT makes the clumsy CCC superfluous.

harleyman
    Dude...

I am missing out on nothing...

BOTH my FSX machines with ATI cards run and look just beautiful....

Actually....My new 500 dollar box out performs my one that cost $2,200.00

Fair enough, yet why the hostile undertone?

I was just trying to help.

Blog Entries

Hey Amigo I don't think Harleyman's comment was hostile. However if it was, it was not aimed at you per se, he's got a full plate right now.
    Ted

harleyman

Sorry...It came out very wrong...i appreciate your input...Slaps self...LOL

Dude...

I am missing out on nothing...

BOTH my FSX machines with ATI cards run and look just beautiful....

Actually....My new 500 dollar box out performs my one that cost $2,200.00

Hey Harleyman, can you give specs out on both of your machines? Looking at converting to intell machine late fall/winter time frame and
    would be interested some recommendations. Leaving AMD after all
    of these years and going to an intell i-7 chip.

Mike
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Retired Master Chief Petty Officer, USN.
    Windows 7 64bit Professional Operating System.
    Processor: Intel Dual Core E-8400(3.0GigHz)
    Video: GTX-250 768 megs.
    Ram: 4096 megs.
    HD: 320gig W/D