Alphasim C-17 Globemaster
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alphasim C-17 Globemaster

gajit

Alphasim C-17 Globemaster

I see that they have posted some "up to date" images of their project.

http://www.alphasim.co.uk/

It will be nice when it's finished, whenever that is.

Aaah, I remember bugging Michael about those refuelling formation lights (or whatever they are called).

Good too see they didn't dump the whole thing.

Oh man, still only renders with no paint. lol I'd really like to see the paints, as I think they're done by the guy who painted the Seasprite, which has some of the best paints I've seen.
    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem Quad @ 4.2GHz
    EVGA GTX260 216 710/2500MHz
    OCZ Platinum CL7 6GB
    EVGA Intel X58

Thanks gajit!! Any news is good news!! at least it's not cancelled!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Patrick

Err, those are the paints and they are not renders, you can tell by the lighting, its either a FS9 sim shot and blacked out back ground or a max shot with blacked out back ground ie a screen grab of some sort, but renders they are not, no occlusion lighting or self shadowing, but they are painted, it will come into the sim looking just like that.

Best

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by SolarEagle View Post
    Oh man, still only renders with no paint. lol I'd really like to see the paints, as I think they're done by the guy who painted the Seasprite, which has some of the best paints I've seen.

tigisfat
    They look good, but a litle lo-res in comparison to some of the other releases from Alphasim lately. It's probably an FS9 version. It does look like a pass as long as the price reflects the resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by tigisfat View Post
    It does look like a pass as long as the price reflects the resolution.
    Has a price been quoted yet?

The whole project was FS9 biased, I've aired my views before so wont again, suffice to say I dont see anything new from those images other than new textures, they are vastly better than the ones from before which were a huge leap on the originals, I think Remi or Pierre are doing the textures, so top quality masters at work, if the're not good enough then please dont blame them, an artist is only as good as his canvas .

I'm also feel that the previews do not do the model and textures justice, they look like screen grabs with blacked out back grounds, mind that facet alone is a mine field with many objecting to Max renders with occlusion and lighting, claiming its not representive of real sim art work. Having said that, some screen shot artists here are coming very close with FSx to making near photographic screen shots from even FSx clunky render engine, let alone what Max and its plugins can do.

I am glad there are previews, it shows the new textures and it shows that the project is not dead as many feared (myself included !).

Pricing will be crucial, having said that, some will love it to death and some will abhor some aspects, it'll be the same old story over again.

I think the VC will be very good from what I've heard, not sure on systems functionality but art work is on par with and better than the MH/CH-54 products.

It will be the only C-17 on the market, but, it wont be the definative and thats no reflection on anyone, simply a matter of time.

To balance my perhaps negative views above, I'd buy it if the price is right and no I dont hint at bargin bucket prices, I know what went into this even from months ago let alone since it left here, a sensible price balancing effort and expenditure over customer expectations would be the shrewd policy here. What ever the price some will be very very happy and I wish them many hours of fun.

Best

Michael

They look good, but a litle lo-res in comparison to some of the other releases from Alphasim lately. It's probably an FS9 version. It does look like a pass as long as the price reflects the resolution.

Who cares? Nice plane!

KC

Well, I'm not sure its Max, its kind of tantalising really, doesn't look like a Max set up, not even default lighting, not that I'm used too and if it were why back fill the back ground, simply change the back ground in the application and then screen grab, that way avoiding the jagged edges where the fill meets the model, it looks like a white back ground, grey even, there are traces of it between small parts. I'd say in sim, but the cranked rudder and turned nose gear and MLG at full compression negates that, besides you'd not get underneath in sim with that animation set up.

Either way its idle musings really, it shows the product so far and its most salient points, animated, textured and externally complete, it lives, it's WIP and it progresses, the rest is just side dressing .

Kindest

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by krazycolin View Post
    Michael is correct. Those are not renders. They are screen grabs from max. I know that look by heart...

KC

Need to get some NATO Heavy Airlift Wing (HAW) markings on it... The HAW based at Papa AB in hungary will get their first C-17 this summer. 10 NATO and 2 PFP nations behind it, but the aircraft will be registered in Hungary and wear Hungarian AF decals.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

I don't think they are max renders- Pierre always does shots like that, and I believe they are taken from the FS Paint utility.. The model and textures are going to look at the same detail wise in FSX as they do in FS9. Only difference will be spec and normals.
    Forever lurking.

Ahh yes, that would explain it, a 3rd party model viewer.

Best

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by d0mokun View Post
    I don't think they are max renders- Pierre always does shots like that, and I believe they are taken from the FS Paint utility.. The model and textures are going to look at the same detail wise in FSX as they do in FS9. Only difference will be spec and normals.

Hmm, I was expecting this to have totally awesome paints considering "Pierre" was the painter. Those cartoon panel lines are aweful, and doesn't look like his Seasprite work at all.
    OCZ Platinum CL7 6GB
    EVGA Intel X58

Quote Originally Posted by SolarEagle View Post
    Hmm, I was expecting this to have totally awesome paints considering "Pierre" was the painter. Those cartoon panel lines are aweful, and doesn't look like his Seasprite work at all.
    Do you know the meaning of WIP?

War Immergency Power?

You can see I assumed it wasn't painted yet in my first comment, but in reponse somebody said it is. I have no reason to question that so took it at face value.
    OCZ Platinum CL7 6GB
    EVGA Intel X58

tigisfat
    Yes. It means "I'm pretty much done, but I want everybody to think it's only halfway done so they'll think I'm a better painter. Any flak or pointers I get can then be dismissed as something I haven't done yet so I can get free proofreading with no hit ot my pride."

I'm just kidding, guys. If I had half the artistic talent that some of you guys had, I'd try to paint myself. :ernae:

Update from Pierre over on the unofficial AS forums

"Yes, these are just screenshots of the W.I.P. from FSREPAINT. I've just found some more very highres pictures, so i'm adding more and more details...
    I'm working on 2048x2048 textures for the FSX version, but i've the FS9 mdl, wich have 1024x1024 textures. So the result you see will be more detailled in FSX. I'll post some more screen this we... "

Quote Originally Posted by d0mokun View Post
    Not according to Pierre who says the FSX textures are from 2048x2048 maps which offer loads more resolution - don't despair, Pierres work is usually great and I'm sure we won't be disappointed when we see the FSX version in FSX.

Work In Progress

Yes. It means "I'm pretty much done, but I want everybody to think it's only halfway done so they'll think I'm a better painter. Any flak or pointers I get can then be dismissed as something I haven't done yet so I can get free proofreading with no hit ot my pride."

I'm just kidding, guys. If I had half the artistic talent that some of you guys had, I'd try to paint myself. :ernae:
    That was actually pretty funny. Thanks for the fun.
    :ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    Work In Progress
    Do you know the word rhetorical?

kc

AS Remi
    Quote Originally Posted by michael davies View Post
    an artist is only as good as his canvas .
    Thanks Michael. The template is a big problem when the cutting is a big mess with distortion and other buggy stuff.
    That was the case with the Dauphin, the canvas was not the best I've seen. It's because I couldn't give the best for the texture set.

I remember some of your models that were a real pleasure to work on due to the perfect cutting of the 3D on the canvas:ernae:

So for everybody, keep that in mind, we make what we can with what we have..

Do you know the word rhetorical?

kc
    Do you know the word condescending<SCRIPT>play_w2("C0552900")</SCRIPT> ? :ernae:

Members who have read this thread: 0