Error MSSTDFMT.DLL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error MSSTDFMT.DLL

Error MSSTDFMT.DLL

Got my disk today,loaded it and when I click the icon on desktop it says MSSTDFMT.DLL? how to get OFF to run. Need HELP

Flame On!
    Just go to www.polovski.com and you should find it there. If you can't, PM me and I'll email it to you.

CJ
    ABIT IN9 32X-MAX nForce 680i SLI
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz
    OCZ Platinum Revision 2 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 800
    EVGANvidiaGeForce8800GTX768MbGDDR

Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Sound Card

Flame On!
    Hey Monk,
    I sent you an email.

CJ
    ABIT IN9 32X-MAX nForce 680i SLI
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz
    OCZ Platinum Revision 2 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 800
    EVGANvidiaGeForce8800GTX768MbGDDR

Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Sound Card

gimpyguy
    The TRICK is how-to Register a windows 32 Bit DLL on Vista 64 :isadizzy:

Parky
    Easy. Just redirect it.

how do you redrict it to vista64? I'm old and slow? Please someone step by step.....

Parky
    I believe you place the file in the C:Windows\SysWOW64 directory, then alter the registration command to reflect that specific path. Once the library link is in the WOW64 folder, hit "Start" then hit "Run", then type in "cmd". In the window that pops up, type in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe msstdfmt.dll

I could be wrong....never done it on Vista64, but that would seem the logical choice.

Btw....all this is assuming your Vista OS is installed on the "C" drive.......if you're dual-booting or altered the default OS install path, that may not be the case.

Cheers,

Parky

Polovski
    Problem: When I click on the desk top icon to start the game I get the following error message:

"Class not registered
    You need the following file to be installed on your machine
    MSSTDFMT.DLL."

VISTA 64 Registering & MSSTDFMT.DLL
    ------------------------------------

Download the dll from the FAQ
    http://www.polovski.com/OFFFAQ.htm

(to find it on that page press ctrl+f and type in MSSTDFMT.DLL in the search box in your browser to find it quicker)

You may need to unzip or unrar (uncompress the file first) to a temporary folder.

To register the .dll do the following:

Make sure the file MSSTDFMT.DLL is copied into the c:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder first.
    (replace c: with another letter if you installed windows to another drive)

Left click start button > type in cmd in the search box,
    then RIGHT click on the icon that appears top of screen and select "run as administrator"
    In the new CMD window

at the prompt type in :

regsvr32 msstdfmt.dll

this will register the dll

For Vista 32
    ------------
    Do the same but instead copy the DLL to C:\Windows\System32
    instead first.

I'm getting sea sick. Parky says one way-polovski almost says the same but ???? slow down guys and take a deep breath and PLEASE give an old man a step by step guide to get vista64 and dll working in OFF2:isadizzy::isadizzy::isadizzy::isadizzy::isadi zzy:

gimpyguy
    Before you get totally sea sick and put a meal on your keyboard.
    1) Don't look at me . . . I run XP
    2) Parky is being Helpful as best he knows how, but he runs XP
    3) Polovski, if you can understand his language is your best bet

This game was written with XP in mind. It will run on Vista 64, but it's not a straight forward operation ( as you now know )

4) Wait till AFTER the release of Phase 3. . . and chances are better than average, you'll get a step by step:ernae:

Polovski
    Um that is a step by step.. otherwise it will be, move the white pointer thing up across the screen.... stuff?

As I said in PM.. if you need more detail I'm not your man, hopefully the guys can explain it in more detail than that.. I'm brain dead and I already spent P3 dev time typing that out and PM's... bffzfftzzzz over and out.

Thanks to all of you for the help,never have so many given so mutch. Once again thanks to all of the computer guys,guess microsoft is the target.:ernae:

Parky
    Gimpy,

He and I just said EXACTLY the same thing. The only difference was he reminded the user to make sure they had admin rights when they registered the link.

If you'd ever installed OFF on Vista (and I have.....just not on the 64bit version), you'd likely ASSUME that you had to have admin rights during the ENTIRE installation process.

In hindsight, it was probably a good caution. I would imagine he has encountered more than one guy who doesn't know a CPU from a HDD.

Either way......as long as Monk gets it sorted, that's all that matters, right?

Cheers,

Parky

Polovski
    Quite right thanks Parky.

Not sure which bit you need help with Monk, as I say can't get much more basic instructions than that - maybe you need one of the local computer store tech guys to pop round to your place and help out - or a kind nephew ?

gimpyguy
    Parky: No way was I trying to ridicule your expertise, just that the conditions as they presented themselves, Monk didn't know which way to turn. I hope, I pointed him in the right direction.

Your knowlege would be greatly appreciated by many, as we feature STICKY's for installing OFF on Vista, and Vista 64

Parky
    Well I'm flattered that you use the term "expertise" where "intuition" would probably have been more accurate....lol.

Here's the bottom line. I'm not sure how installing OFF on Vista (either 32 or 64bit) has been made out to be such a monumental task. It's exactly the same routine as installing on XP with the following exceptions.

1) If installing on Vista 32, make sure you've disabled UAC (User Account Control) or that you use the right-click admin rights method when installing and patching.

2) If you're installing on Vista 64, do the same, but remember to place the DLL in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and use C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe msstdfmt.dll as the registry command.

3) Make sure in either case you run EVERYTHING as admin, including the dll registration process.

Sounds almost too simple doesn't it, but it works.

Cheers,

Parky

Hi All, I've installed all the files on my newly arrived Off2 disc onto my pc (Vista 32)with no apparent problems till the last hurdle, this cursed MSSTDFMT .DLL file which is stubbornly refusing to register. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get it to load as I can almost smell the smoke and petrol and the trenches.

gimpyguy
    As silly as this may sound, check the post just North of your position, do believe the North Star as it were, points your direction home.

You are #17, give #16 a look

Sorry to appear totally thick, but where can (UAC) User Access Control be found? M/Soft do like to hide these little gems away.

I've found something called User account control, is that the same as 'user access control'? we all know how pedantic computers are.

I have tried to register this .dll files with this UAC control both on and off but it seems to make no difference on my Vista 32 machine,, has anyone got any other possible solutions? .....please

Parky
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveebee View Post
    I've found something called User account control, is that the same as 'user access control'? we all know how pedantic computers are.

Yes it is. My bad.....called it access control instead of account control. Went back and edited it so as to avoid confusion. Thanks for having pointed it out.

Cheers,

Now we've sorted out the naming of the UAC, does anyone know how to resolve the problem of what's blocking the installation of this pesky .dll?

gimpyguy
    No guarentee, but worth a shot. In XP it has been prooven, that for all the various faces of OFF to function properly. Not only MUST the Computer, think in English but the region Must be the US, UK, or South Africa ( Regional Options) in Control Panel

Font size 96 DPI (Display Properties)

Parky
    You sure you're leaving a space between regsvr32 and msstdfmt.dll ??

Copy and paste the following command....then try. regsvr32 msstdfmt.dll