P-40 Pilot and Aircraft Lost

Thread: P-40 Pilot and Aircraft Lost

P-40 Pilot and Aircraft Lost

I missed this when it first happened a few weeks ago. Maybe some of you were aware:

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...a-02be027581ae

I haven't kept up with air show acts in recent years so I'm not familiar with Bob Baranaskas, but it's tragic whenever somebody buys the farm. I have good memories of Bill Fornof and his F8F and Capt. Dick Schramm "The Flying Professor" and his J-3 Cub performing at NAS Glenview shows. Sadly they were both killed in crashes. The risk comes with the job description.

Mr. Baranaskas was a super guy. He lived approx. 5 miles from me here in Northport on the North Shore of Long Island, NY. Brookhaven Calabro airport was where he flew out of and I can't count the times he buzzed my house (in both his P-51 and the P-40 that was lost) along the flight path to where he lived. His aircraft went down just off Smith Point which is just across the bay from Fire Island. Smith Point/Shirley is where I grew up in the summers at my grandparents home on the water. You have to know Long Island in Suffolk County here is only about 22 miles wide. Nice place to grow up back then but now...

Republic Airport is not far from here and back in the '40s Grumman Iron Works, Republic and a few other aircraft manufacturers were in full swing operations. In the '70s it was the place to work but nowadays it's a quiet place. Growing up here meant sonic booms all day long by F-4's, F-105's etc!

Mr. Baranaskas was buried a few weeks ago out of one of the local funeral homes here. What a shame but I believe his son is still flying and I'm sure will continue the family flying business. I guess maybe he went out the way he would have wanted if it's ok to say that.

Tango_Romeo

You...

Quote Originally Posted by p14u2nv View Post
    I guess maybe he went out the way he would have wanted if it's ok to say that.
    ....know it's OK, and I think you called it just right.

Just a quick update; on a few days last week and the week before I saw the P-51 Mustang belonging to Chris Baranaskas pulling G's flying over my house a few times. The Jones Beach air show was scheduled this past weekend and I was glad to see him flying again.

I missed this years show and was somewhat bummed out. I could hear the aircraft every now and then...brought back memories of the many other shows I have seen. In the morning I saw a few T6 Texans and a biplane or two. Later on in the afternoon I was in my backyard and I started to hear that familiar sound of high hp prop aircraft and sure enough and right over my house flies Chris Baranaskas in a diamond formation along with a P-47 and an F4U. The fourth aircraft was a jet and in trail position however I couldn't id it. It almost looked like an F-16 on the front end but with a conventional tail. Man this was the best sight I could have had doing yard work! I know you guys know what I mean. Anyway they made an additional 2 passes and right over my house again! To me I think it's cool living in the flight path of these air shows both at Jones Beach and Republic. Sure made my day!

Seems the air show allowed me a pretty good seat after all!

In regards to this I found this posted on the Newsday website ( a local newspaper on LI)

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/na...,6731854.story

p14u2v;
    used to do a lot of sailing in and out of the port where you are. Some great restaurants! Is the bar the "dusty suitcase (or was it valise?)" still there? There was a old RB2 guy by the nom-de-gere of "Captain Wade" used to hang in there.
    Had, and have, some friends who live there, maybe near you! (clue the Shadow music here!)

Hey Fibber;

Hmmm, Dusty Suitcase or Valise doesn't ring a bell but there have been many places that have come and gone since the early 70's when I first became aware of what Northport and the surrounding areas offered. If it was on Main Street but farther from the waterfront there is many "antique" shops abounding in this area nowadays. Gunther's, a favorite watering hole for locals is still here as is the restaurant called Skippers right on the corner of Main and Waterside ave. Since this is a rustic seaport sort of there are many "Capt's" this and that. Funny though nowadays there are many art galleries or what they refer to themselves as and the prices go along with their alleged "aires about themselves" if you will. Not sure but a painting of a head with an eye where the ear should be I don't get...nor the $3500 price tag. Hmmm, on second thought maybe we should all look into that as new careers tho considering the money one can make.

The area is still a nice protected cove for sailing. I've been aboard a few blowboats but I've always been a power boater at heart myself growing up on the water here and on the south shore. I also fondly remember cutting class in HS to catch bluefish and striped bass from all around Eaton's Neck...and probably in the very same areas you sailed through Fibber.

Newsday is the daily fish wrapper for us here and I read that very story (your link) back in April about 6 am waiting on the coffee to brew. Small world sometimes Fibber but you know, it's what we make of it while we're here that really counts. Take good care...

P14, I remember now, it was the "Broken Valise" and I think nearer to Mattituck(?). He actually was a local fisherman and would go out for the blues, etc. Remember the old "bunker boats" that would vaccuum the bottom of the sound clean? Get in the lee of them and the water would be red with blood and not a darn fish left!
    Been to Skippers many times for a few , before it started to be a designated point for the Ferry passengers to hit the lower drinking age. If you get my drift.. (pun here) Seen those gallery paintings and always feel like the Tequila and Vodka shots were replaying themselves!

:ernae:

Funny but those bunker boats, according to my grand dad could "gag a maggot!" Very fond memories of the stink! It's a shame the lobster fisheries is fairly gone now although a few claim that there are plenty of 1 lb tails around but not like it was back in the day.

What I find interesting about that NTSB reprt is the water clarity 1/4 mile offshore allowed the NTSB inspector to observe the aircraft on the bottom? Unless they are referring to a sonar type or bottom reading equipment. Water is usually clear but maybe for 10 feet or so this time of year. That area in question is at least 60' or so deep...the police report filed on April 6th stated rescue divers reported the water as "murky"...

"before it started to be a designated point for the Ferry passengers to hit the lower drinking age. If you get my drift.. (pun here)"
    Damn, mixed up my ports there. That should have referred to Port Jefferson. But still remember Skippys, but that seemed to become kind of Yuppish if I remember right.(this time!) I did like Gunters myself when we went into NP but my friend (at the time) was a wanna-be yuppie and the likes definitely did not mix. Had to pull a few strategic withdrawals, when I was with him, but it WAS his boat!. Even though he didn't know port from starboard or fore and aft!

Ok now I understand about Port Jefferson...lol. Sort of threw me. You got me thinking about those old bunker boats and all the slop in the water. We caught the biggest fish swimming in that rancid soup mix right behind the boats. We used a weighted treble hook and you snagged a live bunker and then rigged that on live hook rig and waited just a few minutes and then BAM it was on! When I lived in NC they called bunker menhaden and they really didn't get too big except in the ocean in the fall. WE used those live for King Mackerel off the piers up and down the OBX.

Roger that about Gunther's and yuppies. It is more of the laid back locals place nowadays but in the 70's it was a rough joint especially when the son Pete was tending bar. Saw a few rough times in there but those days, like our youth are now gone. Decent bands play there now believe it or not. Did you ever eat at a place on 25A called Lums? The hot dogs boiled in beer were great. It was close to another place called King Neptune's, seafood place. Boy those were the days my friend. Not sure what they added to the beer and dogs but we could never get it right at home! Shame the place went away.