Gun Sound Help

Thread: Gun Sound Help

Gun Sound Help

Does anyone know how to turn the gun sound volume lower.
    In my headset when I fire the guns they are so loud they drown out all else. I have looked in the program files and can not find anything, that I can tell, that looks like a volume value in the xml's or any other files.
    If anyone knows where to find this I would be very greatful for that info.

Thanks, Cobra 1
    When We Come For Thee Be Fearful
    For We Are The Reapers Of Your Souls
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

just an quick idea that worked for me: modify the gunsound wav file with an editor (e.g. windows xp audiorecorder) to increase/decrease volume.
    Gute Jagd!
    yours wolfger

Quote Originally Posted by wolfger View Post
    just an quick idea that worked for me: modify the gunsound wav file with an editor (e.g. windows xp audiorecorder) to increase/decrease volume.
    Gute Jagd!
    yours wolfger
    Cool, I'll see what i can do with that, Thanks for the info
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you decrease the gun wave file, either internal or xternal, it will remove the file tags. You will need to reset these or you will notice the gun sound stopping at the wrong part of the sound file when you release the trigger. It sounds very annoying to say the least. Try it by all means but make a back up file first. An easier way to do it without altering the sound file is to change a line in the sound.xml i.e. the attenuation number. The number can be from 1 to 12 I believe and I think lower reduces volume and higher increases, but just play with the numbers and see which does what.

<c13>
    <no_damage>
    <sound file="xgun_13mm_mg131.wav" FileInt="gun_13mm_mg131.wav" Stereo="Yes" Atten="3" />
    </no_damage>
    </c13>

Live: Western Maryland. From: North Central West, By God, Virginia.
    Cobra1, before anything more complex, just try starting you game, then click on the Options tab in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. Look for Sound Options. Try Effects and/or Cockpit sliders. Worked for me. Good luck!:d

Tooth, Fang, & Claw

Another use for sheep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw

Quote Originally Posted by lewis11777 View Post
    If you decrease the gun wave file, either internal or xternal, it will remove the file tags. You will need to reset these or you will notice the gun sound stopping at the wrong part of the sound file when you release the trigger. It sounds very annoying to say the least. Try it by all means but make a back up file first. An easier way to do it without altering the sound file is to change a line in the sound.xml i.e. the attenuation number. The number can be from 1 to 12 I believe and I think lower reduces volume and higher increases, but just play with the numbers and see which does what.

<c13>
    <no_damage>
    <sound file="xgun_13mm_mg131.wav" FileInt="gun_13mm_mg131.wav" Stereo="Yes" Atten="3" />
    </no_damage>
    </c13>
    Thanks for the info will give it a try. I had no luck with the sound editor guess I don't know what im doing your solution sounds much easier Thanks again for the help
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly50 View Post
    Cobra1, before anything more complex, just try starting you game, then click on the Options tab in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. Look for Sound Options. Try Effects and/or Cockpit sliders. Worked for me. Good luck!:d
    Thanks Griz none of that worked the gun sound still overwhelmed all other sounds
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar

<c13>
    <no_damage>
    </no_damage>
    </c13>
    Yeah, this would work 'cept the higher the number the more attenuation (softer) So "3" would be fairly loud and say "12" would bring it down a bit...
    (Lewis does all the work and I add a detail here and there)

Quote Originally Posted by popsaka View Post
    Yeah, this would work 'cept the higher the number the more attenuation (softer) So "3" would be fairly loud and say "12" would bring it down a bit...
    (Lewis does all the work and I add a detail here and there)
    Thanks alot it seems to have softened the sound a bit at the higher values. now when i fire my 6 30mm vulcan chain guns on my spitfire the sound won't be so loud. Yes I said 6 vulcans on a spit it is some kind of wicked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for clearing that up Pops, its been so long since I did that I could not recall which way increased volume and vice versa.

Thank you very much Lewis And Pops
    That add on to the xml worked gr8 i have most of the guns down to an even level with the rest of the sounds now. Still some are still loud but i will try to find their lines in the files somewhere in all this mess

Again Thank you guys very much
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you guys, better solution by far. Will give it a try with my airfield ambience and background music.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfger View Post
    Thank you guys, better solution by far. Will give it a try with my airfield ambience and background music.
    I have actually used your method of reducing the .wav file volume to differentiate the internal and external volume levels. That does work and there is no need to adjust attenuation level. Any gun .wav file that is used in the loop mode has a set of beginning and ending tags that is removed anytime you change a .wav volume level. That sound will no longer be timed correclty, and it will be blatantly obvious when you shoot that gun. If you replace the file tags however it will work perfectly. It usually takes a few practice runs to get the tags placed correctlty in the .wav file.

hey Lweis do mean that the tags are lost if you change the atten value or if you edit the wav file? I changed the atten value and that did not seem to change anything but the volume
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra 1 View Post
    hey Lweis do mean that the tags are lost if you change the atten value or if you edit the wav file? I changed the atten value and that did not seem to change anything but the volume
    If you edit the .wav file it removes the sound tags. Changing the attenuation numbers does not affect the sound file itself, rather that reduces the volumes by a game command. The attenuation adjustment however reduces the volume of both the internal and external .wav files. For some of the guns, I actually edited the internal .wav files because I want the volume of the guns to be lower internally than externally. That is more realistic since the loudest gun noise occurs just forward of the muzzle. Some of the stock sounds are this way already but many of the add on guns had equal volume of the internal and external sounds. Most people would not notice but I like more realism.

If you edit the .wav file it removes the sound tags. Changing the attenuation numbers does not affect the sound file itself, rather that reduces the volumes by a game command. The attenuation adjustment however reduces the volume of both the internal and external .wav files. For some of the guns, I actually edited the internal .wav files because I want the volume of the guns to be lower internally than externally. That is more realistic since the loudest gun noise occurs just forward of the muzzle. Some of the stock sounds are this way already but many of the add on guns had equal volume of the internal and external sounds. Most people would not notice but I like more realism.
    RGR that thanks for the info
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 0