What should I do??

Thread: What should I do??

winslow33

What should I do??

Hello.
    I have a friend of mine who has a problem with thier computer I'm trying to fix this weekend.
    They got a virus some time ago, and it seems that they removed it sucessfully at a quick glance. But closer inspection reveals that something still isn't quite right.
    None of the USB ports work, when I put my thumb drive in the light blinked once and went out and the computer never picked it up. The CD drive doesn't work either, it claims Windows can't find the drivers. Even when I put another drive in to replace it. Lastly, the diskette drive won't even get picked up by Windows when I try to put one in. I know Windows has the drivers for that CD drive because it worked before. Now, I was gonna put my antivirus in there, NOD32 and Malwarebytes anti malware. But I cant because there's no way to get it in. Not on CD, USB, or diskette. I'm going to try to zip it and e-mail it to myself and download it onto her computer, but I'm not sure if it'll let me download or not.

I guess nobody would happen to know exactly what I've gotta do?

Hi Winslow,
    Have thought about your problem.I know you have said that the drives are not accessible in windows but try this to see if it helps.
    First check all your drive cables are tight.
    If so then check if your drives work OK in safemode.If they do not still work go into the mobo bios.See if they are recognized by the mobo.If not it is probably a buggered mobo,One last chance if it is.Reset the bios manually.See if that sorts it out.You will need to get the instructions from the mobo manufacturer's site for that.You could if needed also re-flash the bios with a later one.If they are still not recognized I think it is time for a new mobo.
    If they are recognized then I suggest you do a full reformat.Put your CD in the drive after making sure that you have the cd drive as the first boot drive in the bios.Restart the machine and do a full reformat,Not a quick format.

Buddha13
    Who is the bigger fool,The fool or the man who listens to the fool.

Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons....For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

winslow33
    Yep, they were recognised. Full reformat worked out.... thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0