Lord of the Rings trilogy on Blu-ray

Thread: Lord of the Rings trilogy on Blu-ray

Lord of the Rings trilogy on Blu-ray

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=bluray-072-20

Looks like just the theatrical version release. I bought the extended edition package on regular DVD when it first came out. Might have to put it up on Ebay if the extended editions come out on Blu-Ray.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Drake
    I knew they wouldn't do the extended editions first. I doubt many folks will buy the first release because you know they'll release the extended versions shortly after.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I knew they wouldn't do the extended editions first. I doubt many folks will buy the first release because you know they'll release the extended versions shortly after.
    Theatrical versions are out on 4/6/2010, thisTuesday and I've read that the extended versions are due in 2011. If they were savvy, they would get the extended versions out in Nov 2010 in time for the Christmas season, but I don't know what all is involved in the production of the Blu-Ray transfers and the extended versions had a ton of special features included.

I will be buying the theatrical releases and pass them along when the extendeds are released.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

I believe they are holding off on the extended versions to draw interest into the series again before The Hobbit part 1 comes out in theaters.

Woooo! Thanks for the head's up! One of my favorite stories! I will be purchasing the set that's for sure! It has to be so awesome in Blu-Ray!!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPants View Post
    I believe they are holding off on the extended versions to draw interest into the series again before The Hobbit part 1 comes out in theaters.

Oh??!! I didn't even know they were making a "The Hobbit" movie?

Will Peter Jackson be the one directing this as well?

Happiness Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud9Gal View Post

Oh??!! I didn't even know they were making a "The Hobbit" movie?

Will Peter Jackson be the one directing this as well?
    Here ya go deary ...

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    Here ya go deary ...

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/
    Thanks for the link Snuffy!

Happiness Consultant
    UPDATE: The Hobbit Films to Start Shooting in July

Source: Ian McKellen
    March 18, 2010

UPDATE: Ian McKellen's site was quietly updated on Wednesday, March 17th to now say that filming will start in July, one month later.

The director Guillermo del Toro is now living in Wellington, close to the Jacksons' and the studio in Miramar.

Ian McKellen, who is returning as Gandalf in the two <NOBR style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-WEIGHT: normal" id=itxt_nobr_1_0>films</NOBR> based on J. R. R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, has confirmed a report from earlier this year about the start of filming on his official website. The site says:

THE HOBBIT's, two films, start shooting in New Zealand in June. Filming will take over a year. Casting in Los Angeles, New York City and London has started. The script too proceeds. The first draft is crammed with old and new friends, again on a quest in Middle Earth.

Guillermo del Toro will direct the two highly-anticipated films.
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Ken Stallings
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPants View Post
    I'd say you are probably right. Unfortunately, I think as more of this sort of marketing stuff is done, initial DVD sales will suffer because folks will choose to wait until the final, final, final version comes out!

Cheers,

Ken

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    I gress all can tell I am a BIG fan of the Books..
    And the Movies were Great also..
    I am looking forward to how far they take all of this,,
    And Hobbits RULE...

Ken Stallings
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseHobbit View Post
    I gress all can tell I am a BIG fan of the Books..
    And the Movies were Great also..
    I am looking forward to how far they take all of this,,
    And Hobbits RULE...
    Really? I would have never guessed!

I'm a big fan also. I still remember quite fondly my sixth grade English teacher who introduced the class to all of these four books, starting with "The Hobbit" and culminating with "Lord of the Rings." At the time, I never thought someone would be able to properly do justice to the books in movie form. But Peter Jackson most certainly did!

Ken

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Ken,
    My Nickname was given to me Many years ago long before most had ever read of any of this .
    And ALL my friends and family too have called me Hobbit for many years..
    I didn't name myself this, it was a given name that everyone seems to think Fits..
    LOL..LOL..
    And believe me the Bikers I ride with, All large men and Women (lol) have always called me this Too..
    I gress I fit the part very well..
    LOL..LOL..LOL..
    And another dear friend Called me a House Hobbit, because I live in a house ..
    He always called His HouseHobbit, I helped Him Build The Home he has now..

And I am very surprised how many haven't got a clue on What a Hobbit is..
    Have had many over the years ask WHAT Is A Hobbit.
    I always tell them to read the Books and they will understand..
    LOL..LOL..

Happiness Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseHobbit View Post
    Ken,
    My Nickname was given to me Many years ago long before most had ever read of any of this .
    And ALL my friends and family too have called me Hobbit for many years..
    I didn't name myself this, it was a given name that everyone seems to think Fits..
    LOL..LOL..
    And believe me the Bikers I ride with, All large men and Women (lol) have always called me this Too..
    I gress I fit the part very well..
    LOO..LOL..LOL..
    I was 14 when I started hearing about it Tolkien ...

Snuffy / Ted

I first picked up Tolkien when I was five or six, but I have to admit that as I get older and wiser I loose patience with his writing style, particularly his rather obtuse narrative structure and ropey charachter development (Hobbit doesn't really suffer from this but the trilogy does).

By the time I finished my masters degree and had studied Anglo-Saxon literature it became all too easy to spot the parts he had lifted in their entirety from various other texts with minimal changes. Obviously it's much more fun to read the original source material, for me anyway, and from then on I've considered myself a real critic of Tolkien rather than a fan.

That said my critical dislike of Tolkien did create an eternal love of all things Robert E. Howard and for that I am eternally grateful.
    Swa se ðeodkyning þeawum lyfde

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    WOW Snuffy,
    besides both being OLD, we Both have a Love of Hobbits and their tales..
    There may be Hope yet for you..LOL..

Besides you are far too much fun anyway..

And Hobbits RULE..

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    I first picked up Tolkien when I was five or six, but I have to admit that as I get older and wiser I loose patience with his writing style, particularly his rather obtuse narrative structure and ropey charachter development (Hobbit doesn't really suffer from this but the trilogy does).

By the time I finished my masters degree and had studied Anglo-Saxon literature it became all too easy to spot the parts he had lifted in their entirety from various other texts with minimal changes. Obviously it's much more fun to read the original source material, for me anyway, and from then on I've considered myself a real critic of Tolkien rather than a fan.

That said my critical dislike of Tolkien did create an eternal love of all things Robert E. Howard and for that I am eternally grateful.
    It was my bad (or maybe good) fortune to discover Tolkien and The Ring of the Nibelung (the four Wagner operas) at the same time. The Tolkien didn't quite stand up, for me anyway.

But I loved the Peter Jackson films, and they got me dipping into the books again. Haven't yet read them all the way through on this round, but I might. So there could be hope for me yet...
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery