Insane Ring Tweak....Where is this?? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Insane Ring Tweak....Where is this??

I tried those settings of yours OldCrow, they looked pretty good, but I had some terrible shimmering where the rings overlapped and LOD changed....so I ended up tweaking them to somewhere between what you last posted and the original insane ring settings. I pulled my cloud scale slider down from 10 to 6 in the configuration utility>texture info page (cloud slider still set to 5 for image quality) and it gained me about 15 to 20 FPS, also had to choke up the densities a little, but you get the idea when you are over a populated area....here is a link to my ETO Screenies album at photobucket.... http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/b...O%20Screenies/

Should be shared with the public, someone let me know if it isn't please....

Enjoy....
    What do you call 2 Marines watching an Infantry Company in the valley below? An Ambush!!! :tgun2:

Cool rouge, I'm trying that cloud scaler setting out. I've never messed with that before. What does it do to the look? Is it the size of the clouds?
    :USA-flag:

I think the scale only effects the dimensions and densities of said clouds....my best damn guess anyway....but the detail quality is still determined by the quality slider at 5, and the budget .xml's settings.
    What do you call 2 Marines watching an Infantry Company in the valley below? An Ambush!!! :tgun2:

SO...my GPU is still drawing the same gorgeous clouds....just less of them, and less time filling in the detail.

I'm currently working on improving performance a bit more(obviously degrading appearance unfortunatly). I simply can't have stuttering. The smoother the sim runs, The more realistic the feeling of movement/motion is.

I've also noticed that it seems the AI becomes more intelligent if the game running smoother. This could have to do with freeing up CPU to utilize for AI "thinking" instead of geometry for graphics? Not sure, maybe it's in my head. I've heard pople mention that a faster CPU makes the AI more formidable and useful...I assume this is similair in effect to that.

SOH-CM-2014
    Blog Entries

Yes....the AI runs entirely off the CPU...unless you hired the little man that tuns on the light in the refridgerator to fly against you....all of its thinking and doing anyway....If your sim is stuttering (and by stuttering, I mean you are averaging decent rates constantly, be it in the 20s, 40s, or more....and the game just unexpectedly freezes foe a couple seconds, the n goes right back to the rates you have been averaging....with no explanation for why, and keeps doing that every know and then.....) thats stuttering....you haven't just overloaded the hardware on the GPU(s).....you have overloaded the driver that gives it instructions, and the CPU that tells the driver what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by rouge34rtw View Post
    Yes....the AI runs entirely off the CPU...unless you hired the little man that tuns on the light in the refridgerator to fly against you....all of its thinking and doing anyway....If your sim is stuttering (and by stuttering, I mean you are averaging decent rates constantly, be it in the 20s, 40s, or more....and the game just unexpectedly freezes foe a couple seconds, the n goes right back to the rates you have been averaging....with no explanation for why, and keeps doing that every know and then.....) thats stuttering....you haven't just overloaded the hardware on the GPU(s).....you have overloaded the driver that gives it instructions, and the CPU that tells the driver what to do.
    Yep...Mine's stuttering. I thought I had it all cleared up...but I'm still a bit away from the promised land.

Almost got it I think. Heavy ground fighting in big cities with nearby airfield AA all at once seems to kill it for me.

try cutting the major densities by 0.00003 or 0.00004 taking a couple hundred-thousandths off makes a slightly noticeable visual difference ( I had to look really hard to maybe see it) but it made usually around 6 to 9 fps increase for 0.00003 reduction across the board

I think this Scenery is best all around for me. It's a little thin(density) up close, but draws stuff way far out there and runs smooth overall. Right now, I'm working vigorously on the Texture.

<Budget Name="Five">
    <Rings AboveGroundLevel="0" MaxDistEyeInnerRing="0">
    <Ring PatchWorldDim="1024" RingDim="31" LOD="5" MajorDensity="0.00025" />
    <Ring PatchWorldDim="512" RingDim="21" LOD="20" MajorDensity="0.00025" />
    <Ring PatchWorldDim="256" RingDim="17" LOD="20" MajorDensity="0.00025" />
    <Ring PatchWorldDim="128" RingDim="13" LOD="250" MajorDensity="0.00025" />
    </Rings>

Quote Originally Posted by rouge34rtw View Post
    hi rouge I used your tweaks and they let me run ETO at consinstently 50 to 60 fps with wonderful details but still I get this stuttering every now and then...
    Any suggestion? I do have 9800GTX and Nhancer as well as Riva Tuner to overclock the GPU...
    Gianluca

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Gianluca, I run a GF 9800GTX myself.... things that give me stutter problems are:

in nHancer, Transparency anti-aliasing set on supersampling will really hit your performance hard. I use multi-sampling setting and see 25 to 30 fps increase over supersampling....but cannot see a substantial decrease in visual quality to match.

GeForce drivers are fickle sometimes, some versions work better than others, some don't work well at all. I have had really good results from both the 195.62 (my current driver) and the 190.62 WHQL versions....and large problems from all the other versions released....but this is really dependent on your complete system...I am an nForce 750i w/C2Duo E6750 4Gb DDR2 800 9800GTX and they are all overclocked severly (and liquid cooled to maintain stability and servicable lifetime) If your system is different, different driver versions may work better/worse for you....

Overclocking: I keep my GF 9800GTX OC'd to 750Mhz core, 1900Mhz shader, 1172Mhz Memory.....and see a HUGE loss of fps and consitency if I revert to defaults of 700/1725/1100....I also liquid cool with a full coverage block.....air cooled these OC settings pushed my temps to 60 degrees C and more, with liquid cooling it maxes out around 37 or 38 degrees C after hours of heavy gaming. My C2Duo E6750 (2.66Ghz/1333Mhz fsb defaults) is kept OC'd to 3.4Ghz/1750mhz fsb and liquid cooling keeps it topped out at 27 or 28 degrees C, and my 4x1Gb OCZ Plat. Rev 2 DDR2 800 is running at 850Mhz air cooled....backing the clocks off to default or lesser settings bring on noticable stutter and hesitation. Let me emphasize though....OVER CLOCKING requires OVER COOLING.....and some patience and testing to find where your hardware tops the stability to increase ratio.

The composite scenery and texture budgets that I keep in my assets folder for the sim to use to define the scenery and texture detail.....its taken a lot of trial and error to find the tweaked settings for these two files that gives me the most detailed graphics without causing stutters or hesitations.... PM me your email addy and I will send you my current scenery and texture budget files to try out if you'd like....these two files set the levels of detail, the density of ground effects, and the overall stress level of your graphics card....and take alot of flying then adjusting then flying then adjusting then flying then....well you get the idea.....

so, I suppose the answer is that there are more than a few factors, files, components, and tweaks that can bring about stutter or hesitation while dictating the level of detail and realism you will experience while in the cockpit.....and I reccomend trial and adjustment of each of them to suit your machine.....and I definitely reccomend trial and adjustment of only ONE PARTICULAR ITEM OR SETTING AT A TIME.....when you get that one where you like it, move on to the next.....adjusting, OC'ing, or tweaking multiple things at once can overload your rig easily, and if you dont like the results it is hard to determine which one(s) are incorrect....

There are a multitude of help and how to forums available online to assist with the specific hardware/software you have in rig....use them...they're great.

Hope that helps you....

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Two bumps, MajorMagee! Must be some pretty good stuff here. Since the originals posts are from 2009, wonder how much further these settings could be taken today? Is the idea to make theh scenery better than the sliders give you?

Thanks,

Tom
    Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX580 OC'd / 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor
    FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
    Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/ CFS3 OFF HiTR

SOH-CM-2020
    Wow this is a long thread! Shame some of the images showing settings have gone.

Its a bit long to absorb easily, but I'd be curious to know how the xml files I uploaded together with my meshbuilderbudgets file, compare with the budgets files some of the above posters are using? has anybody compared them?

Of course I'll probably have to get around to it myself, . But summer is here and the sea is warm and inviting. CFS3 computer is gathering cobwebs sadly.

I just didn't want to lose track of this thread, and when I occasionally have to go back to find something from it, I give it a bump.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by Daiwilletti View Post
    Its a bit long to absorb easily, but I'd be curious to know how the xml files I uploaded together with my meshbuilderbudgets file, compare with the budgets files some of the above posters are using? has anybody compared them?

Of course I'll probably have to get around to it myself, . But summer is here and the sea is warm and inviting. CFS3 computer is gathering cobwebs sadly.
    Well sort of, since it was rouge34rtw who uploaded the eto-perf visuals and I have tried those budgets and settings.

But I prefer your budgets, they work great on my set-up!
    Thanks again for making them available!

Cheers
    vonOben

“Wer den Tod fürchtet, hat das Leben verloren.” /Johann Gottfried Seume

vonOben's Flight Sim Mods
    7 Season Scenery for CFS3 ETO Expansion

SOH-CM-2020
    No worries, von O, I hope everybody shares things when they happen upon a good idea! Thats why this thread is so good, open discussion of a technical area, doesn't seem to happen much these days, mind you the "standard" settings of the major theatre upgrades are so good, and new computers are so good, compared with back in 2004 :isadizzy:

The good thing is, the newer these computers are getting the better they are getting making these Texture rings we talked about no problem at all.

Annual Bump
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Since the question just came up again...

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Must be time for a
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Guys this is my CFS3 settings I get anywhere from 70-150 FPS except when using the skip to location feature I get 45.
    Graphics are great but could be improved by tweaks. I followed flanders field settings for my texture info.
    If you have any way to improve this please post it!

GTX750ti Quad core Windows 764bit

-Nvidia settings
    Anisotropic to 16
    ALL Antialiasing off.
    Texture filtering high quality
    vertical sync off

-In game all setting set to high -32bit selected for quality in the game display options while game is running- 1600x900x32

-Running .exe as administrators as well as all other exe files in the folder with no compat mode checked. XP3 checked gave me skipping problems and high fps.

DAMN They came out too small when posted!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails settings.jpg   settings2.png  

You'll have to turn off dual pass rendering on the first screen if you want to use AnKor's shadow mod.

<Config>
    <FileVersion val="60"/>
    <Adapter val="0"/>
    <Device val="0"/>
    <Mode val="31"/>
    <MultisampleType val="D3DMULTISAMPLE_NONE"/>
    <VendorId val="4318"/>
    <DeviceId val="4489"/>
    <VersionNumberLowPart val="857550"/>
    <VersionNumberHighPart val="655378"/>
    <TextureLimits>
    <aircraftmodels Scale="0" MaxDim="0"/>