Harry Kalas, Phillies' Hall of Fame announcer, collapsed and died in Washington

Thread: Harry Kalas, Phillies' Hall of Fame announcer, collapsed and died in Washington

Harry Kalas, Phillies' Hall of Fame announcer, collapsed and died in Washington

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...si_mostpopular

He's going to be sorely missed in this town. A Phillies game won't be the same without him up there in the booth.

The only bright spot is the knowledge that, after being robbed by a foolish broadcast rule in 1980, he just last season got to finally announce through to the winning pitch as his Philadelphia Phillies won the World Series - and did it of course in grand, unforgettable Harry Kalas style.

Goodbye, Harry. Thanks for the memories!
    What military aircraft are you?

You are an EA-6B. You are sinister, preferring not to get into confrontations, but extract revenge through mind games and technological interference. You also love to make noise and couldn't care less about pollution.

EgoR64

Very Sad !!

Was watching the game Last night against the rockies !!

Shocking news.........

SOH-CM-2024
    I hate to hear that Lazerbrain, I met Harry once, he came to Danville to visit a brother (Gus I believe was his name) who lived here and had a Greek Restaurant. Being a baseball nut myself, all we did was talk baseball.

I heard this from my buddy fred, who lives in Phily and was down two weeks ago for a mutual wedding we were in. Fred had never seen a car race in his life, so since the Martinsville NASCAR Cuo race was the next day, I took him up. he was as immersed in the noise and mayhem as I was at my first race at age 13. Fred is 52! :d He had to call all his buds in Phily after the race, it was a hoot. Now I have an open invitation to see the Phillies and I plan to trek up in June or July while the kids are out of school. Won't be the same without Harry, I'd probably had tried to get in the booth and see him. I did that with Harry Carey in Chicago. After calling the third inning, Harry would go to the radio booth and call the next three innings for radio, that's when I got in to see and chat with him. That was also Harry's Budweiser time, because he could not drink on TV. BTW, I took Harry a small jar of Pittsylvania County "Moonshine", he took one sip and did that Harry Carey smile. He was as likable a gentleman as I ever met to have the celebrity status he did.

Caz

I heard it on WMGK this afternoon. Sad day and he'll be missed by millions of fans.

You did good Harry and you'll still be announcing up there behind those Pearly Gates with Harry Carey. What a team that will be.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Harry was the best. Many nights listening to Harry and Whitey call a game. This one hurts!

Thanks for the great memories Harry, especially last October.

Andrew

MyassisDragon
    As a Phillies fan, I spent most of my adult life listening to Harry Kalas on TV and on my car radio. His voice was the voice of the Phillies and will be sorely missed.

i'm not a baseball fan, but gosh so many memories i have in my head associate his voice with baseball. truly the end of an era.