OT: Track IR arriving soon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Track IR arriving soon

OT: Track IR arriving soon

This friday my Track IR should be here

Does anyone have any tips or experiences I can learn from? Anything particular I need to pay attention to when setting it up?

I can't wait!

How much are they selling those things for nowdays?

If you're running both FSX/SP1 and FSX/Acceleration as two separate sims, then don't use the latest (4.1.036 Final) driver because it won't work in SP1. Use the 4.1.030 Final B driver, it works in both SP1 and Accel.

I must say, I find it hard to believe a man of your credentials is just now getting Track IR...I mean, jeezus, Track IR is what takes the simming experience to the apex.

On Another Planet
    I am also thinking about getting this and judging by what Kiwi thinks I will get it. If he likes it then I will most likely get it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click my sig for my Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Bone View Post
    I must say, I find it hard to believe a man of your credentials is just now getting Track IR...I mean, jeezus, Track IR is what takes the simming experience to the apex.
    Well for the first time ever I finally have a GOOD computer. I've been thinking about Track IR for a long time, but I just finally ordered it.

Thanks for the driver advice. I'm just running Accel so I should be fine with the final release ones.

As far as the price goes, it is 150 usd for the combo pack which includes the headset clip.

Believe me Raptor, after an hour of using TrackIR you'll be kicking yourself for not getting it a year ago.

On Another Planet
    Thats what I figured but I just never really got aorund to ordering it I guess. It will be great for many of my planes like the F-16 and the Razorback and a few others.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click my sig for my Flickr

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and I love it. Have not tweaked the settings to my desires but I can see this being a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
    Does anyone have any tips or experiences I can learn from? Anything particular I need to pay attention to when setting it up?
    Take the time to set it up correctly when you first get it and get used to looking at the 'Tracking' window in the TIR4 software panel to check for any issues before they become in-game problems.

TIR4 is very susceptible to any light sources (and reflected light sources) that are in it's field of view (FoV) but it's FoV is actually quite narrow so you can get away with some things and not others. If you have any lamps behind you or picture frames with glass fronts they may cause problems.

When you check the 'Tracking' window you should see three green 'blobs' from the reflectors and that is all, if you see ANY red 'blobs' then you have a problem and will need to fix it either by turning off the offending lamp or moving the picture frame. A light source (or reflection of one) in the FoV will cause TIR to lose it's ability to track the reflectors and in game this means view freezes and view jumping instead of smooth tracking.

There is an option within the software to adjust 'Light Filtering' by clicking on the 'Tracking' window 'Settings' button. This will allow you to adjust the sensitivity of the unit but sometimes you just have to turn off the offending light or stop objects reflecting as the filter can only cope with so much extraneous light.
    Larry

I've been running a Tracker for the past 5 years. Tracker IR2 first and now the IR4 Pro. I look at it this way... do you drive your car and look around using a hatswitch? I think not, so why fly using one.... Go with the Tracker IR4 Pro.

Once you get used to it.... yes you must get used to it... you won't look back. You might even kick yourself for not getting one sooner.

One thing. If you fly IL2 you must turn off the vectoring software. It does not work in IL2. It does work in FS9 and FSX. I believe Natural Point has a list that tells what sims the vectoring software works in.

Note:
    The writer of this post is in no way compensated by Natural Point.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Just to hijack, does anyone know of a good vendor for TrackIR in the UK?
    Forever lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
    One thing. If you fly IL2 you must turn off the vectoring software. It does not work in IL2. It does work in FS9 and FSX. I believe Natural Point has a list that tells what sims the vectoring software works in.
    I've got IL2/Pacific Fighters, and all six degrees (vector) work beautifully in it. Maybe the functionality got added in PF. Also works great in A2A's Battle of Britain II.

I can't wait!
    One of the first things you should do is assign a button or switch
    on your stick/throttle to the TrackIR "Enable" function.
    Also assign another one to the TrackIR "Center" function.

I use the "Enable" toggle constanty when operating switches/knobs/etc
    in the VC. Often it's difficult to 'hit' the clickspots if you
    do not momentarily disable TrackIR.

I use the "Center" fuction all the time to 'extend' my
    field of view. If I want to look farther DOWN than TIR
    will allow, I simply look UP a bit and hit "Center". I can then
    look down further than before. Look forward and hit "Center"
    to restore you 'norma' view. The same technique works
    for lateral motion as well. To look further LEFT, first look to
    the RIGHT, "Center", have a look, forward and "Center".

It becomes second nature to use those functions in a very
    short time.

Paul

Thanks for the advice, Paul. Sounds like this'll really improve the simming experience. :ernae:

Bill, didn't know that about PF. It never did in my original copy of it, but I'll have to check it out in the copy on IL2/1946.
    Gary -

It worked for me in IL2 Sturmovich, Pacific Fighters, and 1946. The newest driver also works for Vista users in CFS3.

Hey guys, I am somewhat concerned about how I am going to install it on my monitor and headset. My headset is made mostly of plastic and isn't shaped too nicely for the clip to clip onto it. I despise the idea of wearing a hat every time I play FS so the regular sensors are likely to collect dust somewhere.

As for my monitor, I have a samsung T220. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...samsung%20t220 From the side profile shots you can see that the top of it is curved, not flat. Do you think this will cause problems when trying to mount it?

UPS confirmed it will be here friday so I'm getting a bit squirrely waiting for it. :redf:

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by d0mokun View Post
    Just to hijack, does anyone know of a good vendor for TrackIR in the UK?
    http://www.rcsimulations.com/index.html

This is where i got mine, the website looks like its been done on the cheap a bit but i've never had any problems with them :wave:
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Many thanks!
    Forever lurking.

There is a conflict between Trackir and DBS Walk and Follow. I have to disable WAF before I can use the Track IR.
    No big deal as TrackIR is far superior in the cockpit.

I can't wait!
    Get a bucket to put next to your computer desk the first few times you use it!

Seriously though, on my older P4 system I found that the movement was "jerky" compared to my new i7 920 system and I think that was one reason for the nausea. Running it with the default profiles for fsx and Blackshark on my new system gives me no problems.

Once you try it, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

Darrell

I got my Track ir yestreday. I need to get use to it. Completly different experience, but it is great

Kiwikat, use heavy duty velcro. That will work to keep it in place.
    Gary -

Quote Originally Posted by hews500d View Post
    Get a bucket to put next to your computer desk the first few times you use it!

Darrell

LOL, my oldest brother came up to stay last year and I hooked him up with the trackir4 and after about 15 min. he was ready to use the bucket. o-well, more flying time for me!

Jim

abrussell
    I've been using mine for about a month. It adds a lot to the sim. The hat clip worked fine on my headset. I found that turning off the x and z axis eliminated the queasy feelings without
    detracting too much from the experience.
    Bruce