Difference between HD4850 and 4870 please - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difference between HD4850 and 4870 please

Just as a by the by is there a thread around with suggestions on how to set up the 4850? Settings and such?
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

harleyman
    There is a guide here somewhere...You need a link?

Michael...Thats getting hot..But I believe the bios, but it seems to be cooling way down before you can get into it to see....

Yes please. I've had a look around and couldn't find anything mentioned.

ASWWIAH Member

Ohh I think your right, its way too hot going by what everyone else says, thats priority #1 right now, at the moment I have the side off and it made no difference, next I'll try a large desk fan to assist and increase airflow, something somewhere has to begin to make an improvement. It just all seems to be about +20'C too high all round .

Best

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    There is a guide here somewhere...You need a link?

Michael...Thats getting hot..But I believe the bios, but it seems to be cooling way down before you can get into it to see....

Quote Originally Posted by michael davies View Post
    I'm using core temp, I begining to wonder if that might not be right, i think i have HWMonitor somewhere so might try that.
    CoreTemp is just fine, I use it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    FWIW,
    I'm building a system with a 4850 with a little bit slower clock speed but has 2GB of memory...
    ...and two GPUs.

A 2GB 4850 ?, didnt see anything bigger than 1GB, thats a whole lot of GPU RAM !.
    Panther refers to the HD4850X2, which is basically a Crossfire tandem of two '50s on a single card.

Shares all pros and cons with a regular Crossfire'd 4850.

Ohh I think your right, its way too hot going by what everyone else says, thats priority #1 right now, at the moment I have the side off and it made no difference, next I'll try a large desk fan to assist and increase airflow, something somewhere has to begin to make an improvement. It just all seems to be about +20'C too high all round .
    That's weird, even for the Intel stock cooler...

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pips View Post
    Yes please. I've had a look around and couldn't find anything mentioned.

Man...This place is a mess... they are here somewhere...

I just FUBARED my ATI machine and have settings pics on that, but off hand I can't remember..

I'll keep looking ...Sorry.

harleyman
    Pips...

This is all I could find on this test pooter... The last items are checked, and checked ,,all sliders to the right from the pic beyond what does not show...

Update, stripped the CPU cooler down again and re applied the paste as suggested above, not a thin smear but a small blob, bingo, instant CPU core improvement, idle at 47'C and FSx flat out at 59-61'C, cant test FSx exhausitvely but the CPU is now stable, shame as I ordered a new cooler fan last night !, still that'll be usefull for the newer chip.

FSx is as smooth as before but more stable, some cfg tweaks might iron the last out of this tired old PC, which to be honest is doing far better than its spec suggests, most of which I'm putting down to minimal OS services running in the back ground ( currently 20 ).

Best

Michael

harleyman
    Michael...A HUGH improvement...

Never a waste to get a bigger cooler....Money well spent IMO..Plus you have it for life for any socket 775 CPU....

Never a waste to get a bigger cooler....Money well spent IMO...
    This is why I'd recomend the HIS IceQ version of a 4850. You get a double hight cooler that exhausts out the back of your case. Sure they are clocked a tiny bit higher but they have overclocking room and the cooler gives you plenty of heat control.

I bought 2 HIS IceQ 4850's a month apart from each other. I keep both at 680 mHz core and 1120 memory (stock is 650 and 1000).

I don't use crossfire while in FSX, but for everything else crossfire rocks.

harleyman
    Thanks for that 2low...... My 4870X2 has great fan control, and exhausts out the back too,..Nice feature...

Not 100% on ATI , but I think even with CrossfireX turned orr in the CCC, its still considered crossfire, enen if you take the bridge off...but it makes no real difference anyway, cause the cards rock....

For anyone interested the following site has a superb ATI tweak guide. Simple and very easy to follow.

http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

ASWWIAH Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pips View Post
    For anyone interested the following site has a superb ATI tweak guide. Simple and very easy to follow.

http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html
    Cool stuff, it even has a section for ATI Tray Tools.

My new HD4850 Ice-Q arrives tomorrow , and once again begins the good old ATI driver removal saga <sigh>.

I'm currently running the CP variant of 8.x, however more recent ones only seem to come in the CCC format, I personally dont like CCC and it leaves a lot of applications running in the back ground, previous CCC drivers needed to look on line each time you wanted to even adjust something like AA or even screen size, stopping CCC from booting just stopped you from adjusting anything GPU related.

Is that still the case these days ?, I only ask as the one reason I think this tired old E6300 does so well is due to my aggressive lack of back ground services, its current at 17, I dont want to add more TBH.

Kindest

Michael

harleyman
    The new CCC does not do all that stuff...However it does have some background stuff running.....

Look at the link three posts up and their guide will tell you whats running and how to kill it if you want...

That being said the new 9.3 driver is good for me... (no difference than the 8.12 as I can tell)

Uninstall your old one from Add / Remove...Then run Reg Cleaner...

That should do it......:wave: :ernae:

Yup, saw that link, gave it a quick peruse but will look in depth later, I have to be honest I abhor back ground services and hunt them down with a passion , good to know you can turn some of them off though.

Kindest

Michael

The new CCC does not do all that stuff...However it does have some background stuff running.....

Look at the link three posts up and their guide will tell you whats running and how to kill it if you want...

That being said the new 9.3 driver is good for me... (no difference than the 8.12 as I can tell)

Uninstall your old one from Add / Remove...Then run Reg Cleaner...

That should do it......:wave: :ernae:

Well it arrived, installed ok, used the offical CP drivers from Radeon to eliminate the Catalyst control center, still only 18 back ground services running so all good there, now the bad news, not a lot different in FSx LOL, you have to laugh, a modern 1GB GPU little better than a two year old 256MB GPU.

There are some small gains, I can move autogen up a notch ( dense ), fluffy clouds ( which never seemed to have much drain here anyway ) at full distance, water at 2x, might try higher later, and overall a little more stable in tight turns, less stutters and flashing / spikes etc.

If I drop AG to sparse then its liquid smooth, bufferpool is 75,000,000 and TBM seems to make no difference between 10, 40 or 70, at 100 it drops FSx like a lead ballon and really messes with the GPU, so much that a full power on off is required to reset it.

There was a tweak from Phils blog wherethe default value was 0.33, cant seem to find that anywhere now, anyone remember what it was ?, its not affinity mask or job scheduler as far as I can recall.

Kindest

Michael

harleyman
    Hi Michael...No CCC installed? How do you set up the stuff then like Vert sync and AA and AF ? Or monitor your fan speeds or See the card temps?

Anyhow..here is what you are after...

To reduce the blurries, Microsoft has reworked how Flight Simulator X scheduler prioritizes background tasks in FSX. Now much more CPU time is devoted to loading scenery data, including terrain textures, at the expense of somewhat lower frame rates. In my opinion, this change has mostly solved this cause of the blurries, although the scenery loader can still get behind at extremely low frame rates (less than 10 fps) or at very large airspeeds (faster than 600 knots). There are several ways to adjust how much CPU time FS devotes to loading scenery and textures. The easiest way is to set the target frame rate slider to a value that your machine can consistently achieve. The lower you set the slider, the more CPU time is diverted from rendering to loading data. Another thing you can do is to modify the following variable in FSX.CFG:

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=n

[ n = 0.01 - 0.99 ]

This variable determines the amount of CPU time given to loading scenery data as a fraction of the time spent rendering. For example, the default value of 0.33 means that for every 3 milliseconds spent rendering, FS will give 1 millisecond to the scenery loader. If necessary, you can use a larger value to devote more time to loading (any number between 0.01 and 0.99). Or, if you don't have a problem with the blurries and you want slightly higher frame rates, then you can use a smaller value.

Should you choose to use this "tweak", here's how to do it:Insert a line directly under the [MAIN] section and enter

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33

Experiment with the number entered here and adjust them to your taste for a balance of quality & speed. It has been reported that for true photo scenery depending on your PC specifications, you may need to set this value as high as
    0.50 or even 0.66.

* * * For Dual Core Users * * *

I have found that a setting of 0.01 - 0.20 will allow you to have your Autogen set to "Very Dense" and maintain a Frame rates of 20 - 100 FPS rate (depending on your area of flight - FPS will be higher in rural areas and lower in large cities).

I use ATI tray to set up the GPU and for GPU temp I use HWMonitor, but I'm sure those features are in ATI Tray somewhere, basically everything in CCC but with out the system overheads of CCC. I have ATI set to not run on boot but run when I click the icon, I do have two appications of ati2evxx.exe running which I dont think I should so I'm looking into stopping them as well, I think that link above mentioned them somewhere.

Thanks for the cfg edit, thats the one ! .

Kindest

Michael

Hi Michael...No CCC installed? How do you set up the stuff then like Vert sync and AA and AF ? Or monitor your fan speeds or See the card temps?

Anyhow..here is what you are after...

To reduce the blurries, Microsoft has reworked how Flight Simulator X scheduler prioritizes background tasks in FSX. Now much more CPU time is devoted to loading scenery data, including terrain textures, at the expense of somewhat lower frame rates. In my opinion, this change has mostly solved this cause of the blurries, although the scenery loader can still get behind at extremely low frame rates (less than 10 fps) or at very large airspeeds (faster than 600 knots). There are several ways to adjust how much CPU time FS devotes to loading scenery and textures. The easiest way is to set the target frame rate slider to a value that your machine can consistently achieve. The lower you set the slider, the more CPU time is diverted from rendering to loading data. Another thing you can do is to modify the following variable in FSX.CFG:

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=n

[ n = 0.01 - 0.99 ]

This variable determines the amount of CPU time given to loading scenery data as a fraction of the time spent rendering. For example, the default value of 0.33 means that for every 3 milliseconds spent rendering, FS will give 1 millisecond to the scenery loader. If necessary, you can use a larger value to devote more time to loading (any number between 0.01 and 0.99). Or, if you don't have a problem with the blurries and you want slightly higher frame rates, then you can use a smaller value.

Should you choose to use this "tweak", here's how to do it:Insert a line directly under the [MAIN] section and enter

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33

Experiment with the number entered here and adjust them to your taste for a balance of quality & speed. It has been reported that for true photo scenery depending on your PC specifications, you may need to set this value as high as
    0.50 or even 0.66.

* * * For Dual Core Users * * *

I have found that a setting of 0.01 - 0.20 will allow you to have your Autogen set to "Very Dense" and maintain a Frame rates of 20 - 100 FPS rate (depending on your area of flight - FPS will be higher in rural areas and lower in large cities).