Online Backup

Thread: Online Backup

because I don't have small pictures

Question Online Backup

Check out my question about online backup in Squawks!!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=13758

Thanks,

Kevin

This is not my forum, but putting the SAME message on ALL forums is considered 'spamming' where I live ;-)

As to the backup, 40Gig would not scratch the surface for me, having 3 Terabyte under my desk already...... I still do my own backups... when I don't forget.. :help:
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

because I don't have small pictures
    Sorry, Francois!!!

It is not my intent to spam. I'm just looking for suggestions and the only section that seemed logical to post in was Squawks. But, it doesn't look like it has a lot of traffic.

I think others on the forum may also benefit from the information gleaned from members much smarter than me on this topic!!

(Technically, it didn't post this on all the forums.........just half of them! :d )

Wow, you sure have a LOT of files and data. I've found some of the sites have an unlimited amount of backup space available. But it would seem to me that it would take forever to upload to their server! I do my own backups at home but my concern is the loss of the external hard drive in the event of a fire or tornado which is a real threat as I live in Kansas; aka Tornado Alley!!

My apologies,

Kevin

Happiness Consultant
    I don't care what kind of agreement you sign from those "online storage" places ... there is just no way in hell I'm letting anyone else get their hands on my stuff.

Like Francois, I do all my own ... harddrives are cheap enough and with USB cabling, enough external drives can compensate for storage space.

Sorry I'm not parting with my hard earned money over a scheme like this.

I still have boxes full of 5.25 floppies from the DOS years that I have in storage ...
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    I still have boxes full of 5.25 floppies from the DOS years that I have in storage ...
    lol, i found a few of those in a box in my closet right before i moved to canadia :costumes:

Kevin,

I use one Terabyte USB disk to back up my most important files and I typically keep it off-site. I also lug it along when I go on holiday (and hook it up to my notebook).

Since my experience with backups is bad..... I am in the IT business for, oh, 35 years now and have had regular problems of backups not restoring anymore..... I use a 'copy' process rather than an 'archive' process.

I use a little program called GoodSync to synchronize a number of important folders, so I have a copy of them on the USB disk. Which I then store outside of the house.

I also keep a backup of my important files on a second PC, using the same synchronization method.

With programs such as Acronis you can actually make a working copy of your entire C-disk (or any other) including the operating system.... but in my experince it only works to restore on an identical PC in case of trouble..... all my PC's are differnt. :faint:
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Members who have read this thread: 0