Hercules fans....you ain't gonna believe this...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hercules fans....you ain't gonna believe this...

Hercules fans....you ain't gonna believe this...

Captain Sim has released a new C-130H package that includes a cockpit:

https://captainsim.net/products/m130/m133/

I took it around the pattern a few times. Seems to be the real deal...

Kent

My first purchase for Flight Simulator way back in the day was the Capt. Sim C-130.
    I just downloaded it for MSFS.
    Thanks for the heads up!

Now I'm off to Elizabeth City or Kodiak!
    *===================*
    Low, slow, and squawking 1200 !

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    Captain Sim has released a new C-130H package that includes a cockpit:

https://captainsim.net/products/m130/m133/

I took it around the pattern a few times. Seems to be the real deal...

Kent
    The initial release of the C-130 killed their reputation. Then the Tie Fighter fiasco. Dubious about this one. No reviews yet. Looks like a complete rebuild inside and out. How is the soundset?

-d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

This looks terrific, thank the flight sim gods that Captain Sim have got a gauge programmer at last!
    I might break a personal rule and spring for this one - it's a multi-engine turboprop after all...

Actually...now that I think about it...my wish to "have lots of dirty turboprop smoke when I pour the coal to it" would be inaccurate...the engine speed stays constant on the Allison T56...all the throttles do is change the prop pitch...so....I just want the usual turboprop smoke for a -130...

Kent

one of the great joys of p3D/FSX was that you could easily play around with exhaust smoke - swapping the effects from one aircraft to another and also moving the location as to where the smoke was emitted from

Just saw this over on the Facebook group. Very special place in my heart for the Herc with my USAF time in it back in the day. Looks promising, with some fantastic looking texture modeling, but I'll have to hold off (for now) on this one. I've been spending quite the sum on different aircraft add-ons recently. Not that $39.99 is over the top, but with CS' reputation for MSFS products, I'd like to see a few reviews first.
    Cheers,
    Dave

I love the Herc, jumped out of it +100 times. But life is about choices and if it is between this and the AH Hurricane, it will be the Hurricane.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Bought it as C-130 fan...

Observations so far:
    - No custom sound set -> default Asobo_KingAir350
    - NO tacan support
    - cockpit is old really old, to "E" model and NO "H" model as claimed.
    - very old radios
    - Visual model is great looking as always!
    - Very primitive AP

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post

Observations so far:
    - NO tacan support
    - very old radios
    - Very primitive AP
    Thanks for the info. Mapping the sounds to the King Air 350 is just lazy (IMO). No TACAN support is a bummer. Old E model cockpit is fine, so long as it's representative of the first H models (not H2 or H3). The E model had a very primitive AP, so without looking at how it works on this model, I'm guessing it's somewhat accurate. In training, they told us it was derived from the B-29's AP.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Observations so far:
    Didn't they provide an original soundsuite for the FS9/FSX version ?..For all i can remember it was quite an awesome model back then...

The one and only reason i'd buy it !

I shall not ask you "Don't you think it looks magnificent then !? "

- very old radios
    Love 'em !

Always big fan of CS modeling/texturing. Too bad about them cutting corners in just about all other aspects.

Very primitive AP
    No problemo

Coincidently i just watched ITB Best of MSFS aeroplanes 2023/24. Sorry to see so much glass cockpits. Luckily the best overall, the A2A Comanche, still comes with a lovely steam gauge panel.

Sticking - if only for the fact that there are die-hard fans of the type here and this one is (at least mostly) complete.

And I'll go ahead and ask since it hasn't been brought up and others may want to know... Do the ramp and doors work?
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Sticking - if only for the fact that there are die-hard fans of the type here and this one is (at least mostly) complete.

And I'll go ahead and ask since it hasn't been brought up and others may want to know... Do the ramp and doors work?

They show them down in the screenshots I have seen.

Very very tempted. My spending budget is about maxed. Let me see now.... P47, F-86, Horton, DO-31, OV-10. The Herc sure looks nice. $40 bucks seems about $10 high for a borrowed soundset and many non-functional features and what appears to be a total lack of liveries. Then there is the just released Tornado. And now APH is teeeezing the Hurricane.

- NO tacan support
    What does it mean? Does it mean you cant choose 26X for example on the radio, or you can take 26X but it doesnt work?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

There's a clipboard in the cockpit where you can select to open main door, paratroop doors, emergency hatches, ramp, main wheel doors, all panels on the each engine and a few different access doors. Quite the animation list.

I replaced the soundset with the TSS C-130 sounds and it is AWESOME. Completes the package. I took her up for a VR flight this morning and it was one of the best times I have had in the sim in quite awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by tankerguy72 View Post
    There's a clipboard in the cockpit where you can select to open main door, paratroop doors, emergency hatches, ramp, main wheel doors, all panels on the each engine and a few different access doors. Quite the animation list.

I replaced the soundset with the TSS C-130 sounds and it is AWESOME. Completes the package. I took her up for a VR flight this morning and it was one of the best times I have had in the sim in quite awhile.
    Did you use the FSX TSS C-130 sounds, or do they have an MSFS version now?
    Cheers,
    Dave

Tom - Good question - The ramp animation is binary…fully up or fully down. This is a bummer, as it is normal for C-130s to have the rear door open and the ramp in the intermediate position while taxiing and while parked to make K-Loader access possible (I’m an old Aerial Port guy).

The so-so news is that although it seems like Captain Sim released a quasi-MVP (Minimum Viable Product) [I thinks it is better than that…but still pretty basic], they intend to continue to make improvements (for example someone asked if they would make the external tanks removable, and they said that they intended to, but haven’t gotten to it - yet).

To me, the dumbest thing is that they haven’t released a paint kit, and instead they plan on releasing “livery packs” on the dreaded MS Marketplace…so they still don’t appear to “get it”…and this is an airplane that would get TONS of love from the repainters.

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by tankerguy72 View Post

I'd be really grateful if you could advise the process for switching out the sounds and also which TSS package you used as there appear to be quite a few on their website. Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    They show them down in the screenshots I have seen.

Very very tempted. My spending budget is about maxed. Let me see now.... P47, F-86, Horton, DO-31, OV-10. The Herc sure looks nice. $40 bucks seems about $10 high for a borrowed soundset and many non-functional features and what appears to be a total lack of liveries. Then there is the just released Tornado. And now APH is teeeezing the Hurricane.

Me too - this past few weeks has been crazy - T-6B, Spit Mk5, F-14, Tornado, Old Warden and as you say Hurricane to come still...

Quote Originally Posted by collensr View Post
    Me too - this past few weeks has been crazy - T-6B, Spit Mk5, F-14, Tornado, Old Warden and as you say Hurricane to come still...
    Me three on the sounds!

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by collensr View Post
    I'd be really grateful if you could advise the process for switching out the sounds and also which TSS package you used as there appear to be quite a few on their website. Thanks so much.
    I used the TSS C-130 soundpack for FSX/P3D. I copied the sound folder to the MSFS C-130 and rescanned the package with MSFS Legacy Importer to update the .JSON files and it works.

Kent I believe the paintkit they released for the E model works for the H model as well. Havent tested it yet but the layout looks the same.

Tankerguy72 - Thanks for the tip on the sound! I picked the package up at Simmarket, and ran the Legacy Importer, and voila! Really helps with the immersion!

Kent

When is the next $9.99 sale?
    Can I wait until next Christmas...

They gonna charge for those texture packs like they do for their other aircraft.

Base sounds are Wwise Kingair, but adapted to C-130. Interior sounds are ok, outside sounds could be better.

C130H_CS by Thomas Roehl, auf Flickr

C130H_CS1 by Thomas Roehl, auf Flickr

C130H_CS2 by Thomas Roehl, auf Flickr

C130H_CS3 by Thomas Roehl, auf Flickr

C130H_CS4 by Thomas Roehl, auf Flickr

Thomas

Members who have read this thread: 237