Active Sky for MSFS

Thread: Active Sky for MSFS

Active Sky for MSFS

Awsome news, we can say „finally” https://hifisimtech.com/active-sky-fs-announced/ !

Btw. However, I have some concerns because as far as I know, Asobo still doesnt give 100% of access for his weather API for third-party developers (so here is a reason why HiFi didnt do ASFS earlier).

Btw2. Marked as not planned - https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...evs/266706/396 (I voted in this topic some months ago) so perhaps it will be only partially „old, which we know” Active Sky.
    Last edited by YoYo; April 13th, 2024 at 23:12.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I'm happy with the sim's own weather at this point, and with the new 2024 offering so close, I'm hesitant to invest in something like this.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I concur with Tom. I'm sure hoping that the addon aircraft that I buy now will still work with 2024!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

I don't see how something like REX or AS have a place anymore? The sim itself has the weather engine which uses the core data...so I don't get what exactly this is over an above, and why it's not just gimmicky at this point....? This is an honest question. I understand why in the previous sims. THe default weather was terrible. And I owned both REX and AS at the time.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Yep, I had AS for P3D because it was dramatically better than the native weather.

The only feature I see on the list that really adds something over the MSFS weather engine is historical weather. That would be cool.

With 2024 about six months away, though, and Asobo having said they don't have an open weather API, I'll take a wait-and-see approach here and see if there are reports of awesomeness from early adopters. I stupidly bought REX Weather Force for MSFS when it first shipped and I haven't touched it in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach3DS View Post
    I don't see how something like REX or AS have a place anymore? The sim itself has the weather engine which uses the core data...so I don't get what exactly this is over an above, and why it's not just gimmicky at this point....? This is an honest question. I understand why in the previous sims. THe default weather was terrible. And I owned both REX and AS at the time.
    The default weather looks very good indeed.
    But "looking very good" is not always the same as "being accurate". The weather we get in the sim right now not only misses quite a few cloud types, but it's also not matching real world conditions sometimes (and let's not forget the snow coverage which is ridiculous in some places).

And finally, the current weather engine does not support historical weather. So, for example, if I trigger a flight right now, which is morning for me, and choose the make a flight with real weather in the Death Valley in North America, I will get quite "cool" (cold) night temperatures because it's night-time over there right now, instead of the very hot temps that I should get in that place during day time. Historical weather would be able to fetch the weather from yesterday morning instead, to get some realistic weather conditions.

I agree with Daube, there is plenty of room for improvement in the default weather accuracy-wise. For one thing, it seems determined to give me a 20-knot crosswind no matter where and when I fly. Plenty of times I have looked outside IRL, seen that it is a lovely day for flying with hardly any wind, then booted up MSFS at my local airport only to face a 20-knot wind that I know is not really there. As a mainly GA and vintage flyer, that really affects my enjoyment. When I use AS in P3D it just about nails the winds as well as other conditions most of the time. And I won't be buying FS2024 for at least several months after release, so there is still time to enjoy a FS2020 product if the price is not too bad.

August

Active Sky (ASFS) for MSFS OUT!

https://hifisimtech.com/asfs/
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Official forum thread for those interested:
    https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...ncoming/638086
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members who have read this thread: 104