Gmax Calibration Box Orientation

Thread: Gmax Calibration Box Orientation

Gmax Calibration Box Orientation

I've created a gmax calibration box (a la the gmax tutorials) with different images for top and bottom, left and right. The "flip normals" step confuses me but I think it turns the box outside in... Looking at the box the top of the plane looks like the bottom and vice versa. I don't know it that is how it is supposed to look (because it is flipped) or I should have used a bottom image for the top and a top image for the bottom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Calibration box 1.jpg   Calibration box 2.jpg  

I my self never used Calibration Box. I used individual planes for the top, left, and front and add more planes if I had a bottom or rear view.

I believe you make a normal box, texture it than in Edit Mode select all of the faces of the box than use the Normals: Flip button found in the "Surface Properties" section to flip all of the faces.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

That’s the single most difficult thing to learn when starting out, many found. This is where the Gmax and FS modelling oddities rear their heads for real.

The box gets its normals flipped because it changes whether the box shows the 3-views on its outside or inside, but this is also dependent on Gmax being set to hide back faces. Properly set up, the Top view will show the top of your aircraft, Front will show the head-on view, etc: with the normals flipped this means the top view is shown on the bottom face of the box, the head-on view on the back face!

Follow Milton’s instructions very carefully and you’ll get it right, but ask again if it’s still a problem.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Members who have read this thread: 8