AH P-47D Razorback Released 4/3 - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AH P-47D Razorback Released 4/3

I can't look at any screenshot without hearing Bomber_12th comments about the razorback modeling. It would seem doubtful that AH will rework their model.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    I got it for a few dollars off using my saved-up points at Just Flight, and I just spent an hour and a half with the aircraft this evening. Here are some of my observations:

Overall, I generally like the modeling and texturing, however the bare metal examples look overally dark to my eye. The 'Bonnie' paint scheme is one of my favorites for the P-47, but I'm not a fan of the way in which its been depicted in this product, with the paint having extremely heavy and non-purposeful scratching over every inch. Looking head-on or from the rear of the aircraft, it's very noticeable that the canopy and upper turtle deck are modeled fatter/spread wider than that of the real aircraft, and the turtle deck/spine of the aircraft isn't sharp like that of the real aircraft (what gave it the name 'razorback'). The throttle lever is of the "bicycle grip" twist type as used with gyro sights like the K-14, rather than the two earlier reflector gun sights modeled. The Mk.8 gun sight is missing the ball inside the level (a pity, since that level/float would be nice to use for heads-up flying). Republic painted the cockpit of these aircraft using 'dark dull green' paint (FS34092 being a close match), where as the cockpit color used here with the AH models is lighter and is much more yellow-based (it looks like it has been matched to the inaccurate interior green paint used in the old restoration at the USAF Museum). There is a heat vapor effect applied up by the waste-gates (that appear closed), and it would be neat if there was some coming out the turbo hood (where all of the exhaust exits when the waste-gates are closed and where some still exits even when the waste-gates are open). The exterior sounds are okay, but the interior engine sounds leave a lot to be desired (I'll be looking to swap in a different sound set if I keep flying it). The flight model seems fairly generic/good-enough, though I need to spend more time with it - the stall speed seems quite a bit lower than expected.
    I got it and like everything but the textures. I have to agree with Bomber_12th; all the textures, especially the bare-metal textures, are far too dark. I have no beef on anything else, but those textures have to be corrected.

Cazzie

Finally, I have it too and, interestingly, I will side with AH. I'm not talking about comments on SOH, which I always treat as possible constructive criticism, but on the MSFS Forum. There is a lot of whining and unfair assessments, a bit like kicking while someone is lying down. I will say this, the model certainly does not represent any tragedy or the end of the world in the world of simulators, as some people portray it. These are very unfair assessments and in many respects AH should be praised (and I have known them for a long time). Of course, from my perspective (as is unfortunately often the case here), there were no final, deeper tests and a few insightful beta testers. The model was not tested in VR either, because here I see the biggest problem (at least for me) in the form of bad LOD (the MSFS pilot simply disappears when it is default, the front windshield disappears and in general the entire interior of the model disappears already at a medium distance even gunsight), but in terms of modeling of the model themselves it looks great, the scale is also very good, VC is fantastic (as John said the grip of throttle looks like from Mustang D with K-14 too, not like from P-47). The sound could probably be better, but maybe something else will happen to it (not too bad!). FM seems quite OK. I know the P-47D-22 and D28 very well, on which I have flown dozens of hours in IL-2 (they are made very well there), so it will probably be difficult for me to resist comparisons, but the first impressions are quite positive. The TURBO lever should have a tab that can be connected to the throttle, unfortunately it does not work here, and it is a convenient function IRL for Jug pilots. I believe that the model can be highly recommended. We'll probably get a patch, hopefully soon , but it's definitely not a waste of money. I can even say that Im do not disappointed, but very positively after so many negative opinions on the MSFS forum.

As a side note, is there any axis responsible for Superchagrer in MSFS (Boost here)?

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Jan Kees, both of your repaints look great! I really like the brighter aluminum with the black and red paint on Big B@stard, and Miss Plainfield reminds me of the 1:48 diecast example I had with that same scheme when I was young (I wish I still had it). Also, on Miss Plainfield, I really appreciate that you took the time to change the stencils to being black as they should be.

Here are some screenshots I took the other night on my first outing with the Thunderbolt (tailwheel screenshot to show some of the great detail of the modeling & texturing).

One of the details I thought would have been neat had AH known about and included (since you can remove the wing pylons), is that when the wing pylons on the P-47 were removed, Republic provided fences that were to be affixed to the bottom of the wings so that when the machine gun shells dropped out they wouldn't get jammed in the space between the flaps and ailerons.

In this walk-around video, it shows and explains the use of those fences when the wing pylons weren't installed (as directed by Republic), after the 2:40 mark:

And some more photos showing those wing fences (which were to be installed when the pylons weren't installed):

John, that second screenshot is a stunner! It's only the white stencils that show it's not a real pic. Now let's see what you can do with my paints, they are uploaded on FS.2, together with these ones:
    YF-K (00005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

YF-K (00002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

YF-K (00004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

PZ-R (00007) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

PZ-R (00006) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

PZ-R (00003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Resistance is futile Jan and Johns Pics pushed me over the edge. I tried to resist but...

Thanks for the repaints Jan , superb as always. One things I noticed on Witch Hazel and Bonnie, I think it was, that the thumbnail looked to be one from your Foxmoth paints... just thought I'd mention in case you where unaware. No biggy.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MDIvey View Post
    Resistance is futile Jan and Johns Pics pushed me over the edge. I tried to resist but...

Thanks for the repaints Jan , superb as always. One things I noticed on Witch Hazel and Bonnie, I think it was, that the thumbnail looked to be one from your Foxmoth paints... just thought I'd mention in case you where unaware. No biggy.

Matt

oooops...I just posted an update
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

John, you always have a lot of materials. I wonder if this mechanical sight (outside) should be moved slightly to the left. I don't think it was centrally located on the fuselage. I don't have better photos, but in these it seems to me that it should be slightly moved to connect with the mechanical viewfinder in the cockpit, to match both. Before I write to AH, I want to make sure. In the model, to match them both I would have to shoot with a pretty good arc ;>. It match now to the reflected gunsight. If it is as I believe, it is a small problem and easy to fix, but we are mainly looking forward so it is visible all the time.

Hi YoYo,

Yeah, the bead sight was mounted a few inches to the left of center (note the two panel lines that are at center).

Here are some more photos from the cockpit of the restored razorback P-47D 'Bonnie', which is at the top of the most-accurately restored P-47s flying. Note how far to the right the Mk.8 gun sight is actually mounted in reality, all of the correct/authentic colors (black windscreen and canopy framing, dark dull green for the rest of the cockpit), all of the colorful taped limits on the gauges (as per original manual and blueprint drawings), all of the placarding which is also accurate per original wartime, and the correct throttle lever. Unfortunately, I've noticed there are a lot of inaccuracies in the cockpit of the AH P-47 that are tied directly to the inaccurate restoration at the USAF Museum, such as the post-WWII gauge bezels, the extremely-inaccurate interior color, and the canvas instrument panel shroud (which I haven't ever seen on any other razorback P-47 - I've always seen aluminum covers).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 363363347_10227904292066431_2733044427052035725_n.jpg   372994064_10228123578548456_3465983919451532881_n.jpg   20220707_090702.jpg   164432891_5462958967078311_2871071031942940681_n.jpg  

More-so perhaps than anything, it's the unique 'razorback' cross-section of the upper turtle deck/rear fuselage that I miss with the AH model.

While it’d be nice if the shape was a little more accurate, I’m delighted we’ve reached the level of detail where that’s a complaint.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0783.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	93781

Right. On the screen its European Air War - I spent a lot of time on it and it was a great time . We are far, far away from this period like from this:

but still some solutions from EAW (part of gameplay) was and are great.

More-so perhaps than anything, it's the unique 'razorback' cross-section of the upper turtle deck/rear fuselage that I miss with the AH model.
    That is just about the best comparison shot I have ever seen posted.

work in progress:
    Y8-W(00005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Y8-W(00003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Y8-W(00002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Imagine inaccurately modeling the lines of a Spitfire? The Brits would go to war! I'd gladly give up all of AH's internal engine detail and fake gun firing for a proper "Razorback". The P-47 is regarded by many as the ulitmate US fighter of WWII. This is not a small detail, or rivet to complain about. It does not honor those who fought and died in it. Sadly, we bought this thing without paying attention.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Imagine inaccurately modeling the lines of a Spitfire? The Brits would go to war! I'd gladly give up all of AH's internal engine detail and fake gun firing for a proper "Razorback". The P-47 is regarded by many as the ulitmate US fighter of WWII. This is not a small detail, or rivet to complain about. It does not honor those who fought and died in it. Sadly, we bought this thing without paying attention.
    Personally, I'm not sad at all about having bought this model. The VC is brilliant, and that is where I spend most of my time.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Jankees skin.

Thx!

Can we at least give our good friend Bazzar these two photos so he can, pass them on to the modelers? That would be helpful in the best of ways. (Nice comparison shots John).

For anyone else who wondered why the aileron trim doesn't seem to work, it looks like there's a mistake in the apron.flt and runway.flt files that's an easy fix. If you open those files with Notepad++ (or something similar) search for "AileronTrimDisabled", and simply change the "True" to "False".

Quote Originally Posted by Fnerg View Post
    Can we at least give our good friend Bazzar these two photos so he can, pass them on to the modelers? That would be helpful in the best of ways. (Nice comparison shots John).
    It was reported already but they most likely won't want to interfere with the 3D model anymore. Probably just systems, but we'll see.

Btw. When flying for a longer period of time, I find that I cannot obtain the appropriate flight parameters. AH Jug is too slow, I cannot rev above 46 Mainfold pressure, which should be achievable with a turbocharger, even up to 65 MP (6500ft), with boost (WEP, but ok, its not implemented) easily 72. Max RPM is 2700 what is ok however temps are too fine and also no demage of engine (not modelled perhaps) but proper how MP should works shuold be ok, for cruise flight its ok, but not combat mode simply. FM is very ok (crg!) but minimum speed is too low, it was havy heavyweight boxer.

But overall, I really like the model and I'm satisfied .

Members who have read this thread: 250