AH P-47D Razorback Released 4/3 - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AH P-47D Razorback Released 4/3

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    quick question - is anyone else having trouble starting the P-47 from cold n dark?
    I checked the last version, so 1.1.1 (its present in ORBX store), I didnt noticed any issue with this, the procedure is the same like it was. The Jug starts from cold and dark without issue.

Btw. Engine performance is better now! I can reach with WEP even 360 MPH (what is a good and right speed for Thunderbolt with the engine parameters I gave him). I didnt check the dive yet, strong side of the Jug, however the model was nice, and now is better and better!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

IMHO, Aeroplane Heaven confirmed their status as purveyor of quality addons to the community and they listen to that community.

I've been buying and using their addons since FS2004 and was always awed by their stellar (and friendly I might add) support!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Version 1.1.1... wonderful. Malcom Hood version a very nice addition.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240412130022_1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	414.5 KB 
ID:	93894

Name:	20240412133640_1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	391.7 KB 
ID:	93895

Name:	20240412130917_1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	438.7 KB 
ID:	93896

Name:	20240412131858_1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	502.4 KB 
ID:	93897

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    I checked the last version, so 1.1.1 (its present in ORBX store), I didnt noticed any issue with this, the procedure is the same like it was. The Jug starts from cold and dark without issue.

Btw. Engine performance is better now! I can reach with WEP even 360 MPH (what is a good and right speed for Thunderbolt with the engine parameters I gave him). I didnt check the dive yet, strong side of the Jug, however the model was nice, and now is better and better!
    It's been figured out - the fuel pump rheostat (which operates as an 'on/off' switch) was the culprit. In v1.00 the engine would start without it being 'on' but the updates made it functional (which is good) but I had missed it as part of the startup sequence so I wasn't using it.
    Thanks to Mike at AH help desk for his immediate and helpful efforts. All is good now. Thank you also to those in the community who have responded here to my query.
    This addon is a great value for the price and the P-47D Razorback was a vitally important aircraft during the war effort. Glad it was done properly by Aeroplane Heaven. These updates have made all the difference.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Bee (00005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Bee (00004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Bee (00008) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Bee (00009) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Bee (00011) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Hi JanKees - beauty repaints for the Jug, I think I have them all
    Now - I hate to be the guy that follows up one of your new releases with a request for yet another livery...but

possible to ask if you can find the time to look at this one as a candidate?

on page 4 of this thread Bomber12th has posted some detail pics of the 'Little Demon' to help with the effort, if you have an interest in doing the livery
    enter..the Sandman

Has anyone reported to AH yet the new problem with the latest update? With the latest update, I've noticed there is an LOD problem with the windshield, canopy and windshield mirror(s) on the exterior of the stock/birdcage variant. You can see this in Matt's and some of Jan Kees' most recent screenshots above.

Under certain zoom/distance there can appear different glass (including doubled-up internally on the windscreen), two sets of mirrors overlapping each other (stock and Spitfire type), and the canopy frame texture very noticeably changes. The issue with the doubled-up internal glass on the external model, under certain zoom/distance, also affects the Malcolm hood version.

Zoomed-in vs. zoomed-out:

Last edited by Bomber_12th; April 12th, 2024 at 19:57.

John, one page earier, I created even gif. Not reported yet, but I collect more info. Armored glass the same. Its a LOD issue - frame of canopy, windshield, armored glass and glass of gunsight - disappears, another one lands, over a very short distance.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Guys, it's time for me to present something from myself. Over the last few days I have been doing 2 liveries for the P-47. If you know me, you know that I pay quite close attention to detail. Overall, the default ones are not bad (crg AH!) and can be a nice base for painting. What changes? Metal color reproduction has been improved (default are still too dark), dividing, highlighted lines have been added, various materials have been reproduced, more weathering has been added (of current corrections also was added), matched to the present LOD of 1.1.1v. Just the preview of one (wip), more soon. Hope you will like it.

Looks good to me!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

YoYo, one thing you might want to add is to darken all of the stainless steel panels that line the bottom of the fuselage, that follow the path of the internal exhaust plumbing from the waste-gates back to the turbo. This is such a defining feature of bare metal Thunderbolts, that I'm surprised it wasn't added into the product textures or repaints. Also of note, the metal tubes that wrapped around the gun barrels on the P-47 were also made of stainless steel (again, appearing darker than aluminum).

Also, and this is more a criticism of the default paint work than yours, but I find it odd that the wing pylons look to be painted silver/grey, where as they were bare metal, where as the 108-gallon paper drop tanks (as seen in your screenshot, Yoyo), were painted silver in reality but appear like bare metal in the product textures.

Here are some photos illustrating all of the stainless steel plating along the belly of every P-47, which always shows up darker than aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Guys, it's time for me to present something from myself. Over the last few days I have been doing 2 liveries for the P-47. If you know me, you know that I pay quite close attention to detail. Overall, the default ones are not bad (crg AH!) and can be a nice base for painting. What changes? Metal color reproduction has been improved (default are still too dark), dividing, highlighted lines have been added, various materials have been reproduced, more weathering has been added (of current corrections also was added), matched to the present LOD of 1.1.1v. Just the preview of one (wip), more soon. Hope you will like it.

They look great !

I haven't bought the P-47D yet. Does the recently restored "Bonnie" feature in the release or any repaints yet?

@jankees & collensr thx! @Bomber_12th like always, many good, well documented pictures, thanks too. About pylons - right but it was solved already, about the rest - maybe the reason is that not all look on the bottom of the airplane . Its very visible (channel to the turbine), I will add it (also the tank and part near guns).

However "metallic" finish was possible too:

Hi JanKees - beauty repaints for the Jug, I think I have them all
    Now - I hate to be the guy that follows up one of your new releases with a request for yet another livery...but if you have an interest in doing the livery
    Working on it...

@jankees - YES !

Regarding the duralumin plating under the Republic P-47 - part of the plan to safeguard US pilots who flew this aircraft the belly pan as well as other areas of the P-47 was reinforced with this material in various locations - Part 3 of the series linked below has this information in detail.
    Mr. Seversky was a strong proponent of protecting the aviators who flew his planes. Part of the reason why so many of the Jugs pilots survived the war.

Regarding the cellulose auxiliary fuel tanks provided by England in early 1943 for US aircraft - and principally the P-47 - it is all explained in this video
    https://youtu.be/aCLa078v69k?si=AyIw903-VDipYgrU

Please watch his entire series of videos on the P-47 to learn literally all there is to know about the various P-47's that flew.
    P-47 Thunderbolt - YouTube
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by collensr View Post
    I haven't bought the P-47D yet. Does the recently restored "Bonnie" feature in the release or any repaints yet?
    There is a Bonnie in the package, but not a recently restored version...

Regarding the duralumin plating under the Republic P-47 - part of the plan to safeguard US pilots who flew this aircraft the belly pan as well as other areas of the P-47 was reinforced with this material in various locations - Part 3 of the series linked below has this information in detail.
    Mr. Seversky was a strong proponent of protecting the aviators who flew his planes. Part of the reason why so many of the Jugs pilots survived the war.
    The exterior plating I mentioned/illustrate in the photos above is not duraluminum but stainless steel. It was necessary because of the heat of the exhaust ducting and turbo. It's the same reason you see stainless steel used around the exhaust and turbochargers of many other US aircraft (P-51, P-38, B-17, etc.).

Also, with regard to the "paper" drop tanks, I only call them out because in the product graphics, they appear to have the same appearance as the bare aluminum. Sure, they would still be somewhat metallic looking when painted silver, but not have the exact same look/finish as bare aluminum.

Also, with regard to the "paper" drop tanks, there shouldn't be any red lines showing on them when they're mounted to the aircraft - the red lines, painted directly on the drop tank itself, was an indicator to show where the wrap-around brackets were to be installed to hang the tanks on the aircraft. The brackets were bare metal, and covered over the red lines when the drop tanks were mounted, therefore no red would be showing.

As far as I could tell, it doesn't mention anything about the external stainless steel in that video.

not directly - but he refers to the 'crash skid' reinforcements of the lower fuselage

The Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, a formidable World War II fighter aircraft, featured several distinctive components. Let’s delve into the details of the lower fuselage crash skid:

1. Crash Skid:

• The crash skid was a crucial part of the P-47’s design, situated in the lower section of the fuselage.
      • Its primary purpose was to support and protect the underside of the airframe during emergency landings.
      • When a P-47 executed a belly landing (such as after sustaining damage in combat), the crash skid worked in conjunction with other features to cushion the impact.
      • It was mounted to the forged crossties that connected each wing to the other, providing robust structural support.
      • The crash skid helped prevent severe damage to the fuselage during these challenging landings.

2. Material:

• The outer skin covering the exhaust ducting, including the crash skid, was made of stainless steel.
      • Stainless steel was chosen for its ability to withstand high temperatures generated inside the duct.
      • This material ensured durability and protection against heat-related wear and tear.
    enter..the Sandman

also -

1. Structural Components:

• Duralumin, an aluminum alloy containing copper, manganese, and magnesium, was known for its strength-to-weight ratio.
      • It was used in various structural components of the P-47, including wing spars, ribs, and fuselage frames.
      • These components needed to withstand the stresses of combat maneuvers and the aircraft’s substantial weight.

2. Cockpit and Fuselage:

enter..the Sandman

Nice work on Little Demon jankees, but can you please also do a version with the red outlined national insignia? I don't know if that is really accurate, but it's what the restored warbird had, and a lot of us are fond of it.

August

Can you throw in a back seat , JK ?
    Seriously : It looks great .

Members who have read this thread: 250