Shrike (Milviz) F-86 Sabre Now Available! - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shrike (Milviz) F-86 Sabre Now Available!

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    Thing is, the developer CHOSE to do heavy riveting and a very worn cockpit, they presumably think that they will get more customers with that visual 'warhammer' look.
    We know that in truth it should be less exaggerated...but we're in a minority...
    Well said, Keith and you're most probabely right too. Downloading your darker VC right now, exciting perspective to hop on board ! Hope i don't fall off the ladder.. Thanks much again Keith and Fnerg !

First attempt to adjust the textures for the RNoAF MU-U. The MU-U/U-MU was typed with wrong font. The roundel pannant points the wrong way on both sides (should always point backwards). I've added antiglare to the nose. It appears like the real aircraft had antiglare for a period while in service for the RNoAF. I am far from finished with this livery. Among others, I don't like the clean alu texture. I'll see what I can do to bring more life to it. Rivets have to be subdued. Cockpit colors (as mentioned earlier) have to be corrected. Maybe I will have to wait for the paintkit to finish this.

Gunnar van der Meeren

MSFS 2020 Standard/AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7-4.8 GHz/Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz 64GB/Asus GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC gaming GDDR6X 24GB

Received the update today, rivets are still too pronounced IMHO.

So I installed the cockpit and rivet mods again to fly later today. But first a shave and a kebab in that order!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Changelog for 1.02:

- base and livery texture fixes & adjustments
    - exterior reversed decals fixed
    - sound pack updates for interior, exterior & mp
    - various keybinds added for flaps and lights
    - operation of inboard/outboard throttle behavior adjusted
    - updates to flight model and engine config
    - async fuel conditions between wing tanks fixed
    - fixed decal clipping on wing location
    - fde adjustments to mach speed
    - engine adjustments for temperature
    - new user guide

Paintkit available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8b1m0feope...f86_PK.7z?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Received the update today, rivets are still too pronounced IMHO.

So I installed the cockpit and rivet mods again to fly later today. But first a shave and a kebab in that order!

Priller
    Someone at Shrike loves those rivets. It would seem a relatively easy fix on their side, but NO! You'll get nothing and like it!

- d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhawk18 View Post
    First attempt to adjust the textures for the RNoAF MU-U. The MU-U/U-MU was typed with wrong font. The roundel pannant points the wrong way on both sides (should always point backwards). I've added antiglare to the nose. It appears like the real aircraft had antiglare for a period while in service for the RNoAF. I am far from finished with this livery. Among others, I don't like the clean alu texture. I'll see what I can do to bring more life to it. Rivets have to be subdued. Cockpit colors (as mentioned earlier) have to be corrected. Maybe I will have to wait for the paintkit to finish this.
    Really nice work on this one. I think are all looking forward to it. -d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Changelog for 1.02:

- base and livery texture fixes & adjustments
    - exterior reversed decals fixed
    - sound pack updates for interior, exterior & mp
    - various keybinds added for flaps and lights
    - operation of inboard/outboard throttle behavior adjusted
    - updates to flight model and engine config
    - async fuel conditions between wing tanks fixed
    - fixed decal clipping on wing location
    - fde adjustments to mach speed
    - engine adjustments for temperature
    - new user guide

Paintkit available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8b1m0feope...f86_PK.7z?dl=0
    Excellent! Tanks Dimus.

Gunnar van der Meeren

MSFS 2020 Standard/AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7-4.8 GHz/Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz 64GB/Asus GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC gaming GDDR6X 24GB

Excellent! Tanks Dimus.
    U-MU has been improved in terms of fonts and insignia but you'll make it much better for sure!

Don't worry about the external rivets, that'll be fixed one way or another. ( i have installed Fnerg's reworked rivets textures but no clue how it works... It comes in its own folder (zDS Shrike F86F Rivets), i suppose it works for all liveries ?.... Does it still work now i have installed the Shrike update ?... Must say, they look way less pronounced to me, still a bit too much sure, but i find them more or less acceptable now. Still i'm not sure what i'm looking at... )

But what about this then, eh ?! :

That's quite a bit of a far cry from that initial cockpit that was dragged up from the bottom of the ocean all rusty and worn out. That's getting really really close now, doesn't it.

Must say i lost track if it's Keith's work or Shrike's update or both... In any case, THANKS VERY MUCH KEITH AND SHRIKE !

I just wish some clever dev would find a way to tweak that default MSFS gauge glass effect so that it would work in this 'normal' angle of view here in this screenshot just as much as it does in the currently 'abnormal angle of view' ( sitting on your knees at the bottom of the cockpit looking up....). I can't even remember which one or two of the abundage of native MSFS steam gauge VC's we now have features this, IMHO fantastic gauge glass effect while looking at it from a normal point of view. The effect surely is there, possibly just a matter of a check mark or something, just saw it while flying this awesome F-86 too. But it was during a lets say non standard procedure like going straight up or straight down. That's when this lovely glass effect starts to appear and make the gauges 'come alive' but as soon as attitude returns to about normal all gauges become their dull glassless looking self again.

Here's what i'm talking about :

At the time of shooting this screenie i was upside down in the water sitting on the floor looking up.... We can't fly a plane like that, now can we... Please dear steam gauge VC developers, like all the magical MSFS material effects to apply and to make work, adding this wonderful glass effect to steam gauges in such way that it will show up while sitting in the VC at normal point of view will no doubt be a formidable and intimidating task as well. But it will surely make your already awesome steam gauge VC's really come alive. Icing on the cake so to speak. Nothing as normal as glass in front of gauges to protect the delicate needles. The glass effect is there alright, just needs to be placed correctly so that we don't have to be upside down in the water sitting on the cockpit floor looking up to see it...

Clever developers start out curious too wanting to make things better.

Excellent! Tanks Dimus.
    Did you also make the "Wolfhounds" textures , Gunnar ?
    And if so , are you planning on converting those too ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spook48 View Post
    Did you also make the "Wolfhounds" textures , Gunnar ?
    And if so , are you planning on converting those too ?
    Yes I made the Wolfhound textures. I made a lot of textures for the FSX model, and I still have most of the layered files for the liveries archieved.
    And I will have a look at the Wolfhound textures.

Edit: Found the old layered files for the "Wolfhound"

Gunnar van der Meeren

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post

Cees
    It appears like the base color of the "Wolfhound" were pale blue/green. Can this be confirmed?

Gunnar van der Meeren

Maybe its just badly weathered ?
    Thats great news , Gunnar. Priller will be thrilled .

Yes I made the Wolfhound textures. I made a lot of textures for the FSX model, and I still have most of the layered files for the liveries archieved.
    And I will have a look at the Wolfhound textures.

Edit: Found the old layered files for the "Wolfhound"
    That is brilliant news! A big thanks for this! It's my favourite scheme for the Sabre!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Thanks a lot!
    These photos are of great help.

Gunnar van der Meeren

Thanks a lot!
    These photos are of great help.
    Hi Gunnar,

Would you mind keeping the original metal/geen scheme as well?

Cheers,

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Useful info on landing the Sabre from Dudley Henriques on the Blackbird Discord, reposted as many don't do Discord -

"I've been "flying" the Sabre now for about a week. I have some landing suggestions based on real time in the Sabre 6 and sim time in the Shrike Sabre.
    I find the flight model to be fairly accurate compared with the actual airplane and landing the Sabre properly will take some practice if you want to get it right.
    Assuming you are not using ATC the best way to land the 86 is from an initial over the runway at 1500'AGL. I use 250 kts into the break. In the break allow the aircraft to slow as bank allows drag rise. Watch your airspeed.

The trick with landing the Sabre involves understanding the relationship between power, configuration, and sink rate. You want to configure based on airspeed NOW and airspeed AFTER you configure, so plan NOT to go flaps down early. Keep the power up to at least 65% as spool time below that is VERY slow. Note that if you have speed brakes and flaps on downwind you will most likely need a LOT of power from the base turn through final approach.
    I used speed brake against power in the Canadair Sabre 6 and held off lowering flaps until well into my finals. I find the Shrike F86 handles almost the same.

Your enemy on final is sink rate. You get the flaps down too soon with speed brakes out and you could easily find yourself behind the power curve with an unrecoverable sink rate and not enough power available to stop it. It's a coffin corner the only solution is to lower angle of attack and you simply don't have the altitude left to do that. ( This was the famous Sabre Dance that killed Barty Brooks at Edwards in the F100)
    In conclusion.........don't flare the Sabre. If you do and you are under 120 you will sink fast and touchdown hard. The right way to land the 86 is to control the sink rate right on down into touchdown. Aerodynamic braking is preferred but not required. Contrary to popular belief (the 86 does have good brakes) just test the brakes gently after touchdown and leave the flaps down as opposed to raising them for better braking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Curious, the download is over 4.7 gigs for the paintkit, which is understandable, but I get an error from Dropbox saying the content is too large to load, although downloading is still an option.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (186).png 
Views:	78 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	93912

Clicking download anyway, when the download completes, the first F86_01-PK file is a 700mb single layer blank image. That 1st layered ps file should be the left fuselage detail, but it's blank. Can you check into this for us Dimus make sure everything is working right?

Thanks

I downloaded to test and looks OK to me:

Comp layers are for the roughmets and AO and diffuse layers for the albedo.

Shrike (Milviz) F-86 Sabre Mod

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove that GPS unit, and just have a clear landing view? The hotspot that removes the gunsight and brings up the GPS/Moving Map Display. For me is unreadable, poor eyesight, and unusable. But I really like the clear view over the nose on landing. I'd like to find a way to do away with the GPS unit all together.

Shrike (Milviz) F-86 Sabre Panel Texture Mod

https://flightsim.to/file/72688/shri...ckpit-textures

I just installed this and like it a lot.

Members who have read this thread: 214