Shrike (Milviz) F-86 Sabre Now Available!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shrike (Milviz) F-86 Sabre Now Available!

Shrike (Milviz) F-86 Sabre Now Available!

Released today!!!

https://www.shrikesims.com/ac.php?id=f86

(This is a continuation of this thread.)
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

And bought today!

Finishing up on some stuff (chores) and then I'm off flying this thing!

Been an expensive FS week I must say...

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

loving this machine !!!

Oh, yeah, taking that rusty cockpit absolutely for granted because the rest is absolutely awesome !! (apart from the sounds, has nothing to do with the beauty of this model, i guess you can't have it all for this price) To quote Steve Miller "This thing flies like an eagle ! "

Good thing too is that the VC textures are not really as bad as in the Shrike Sabre's video's. I might even get used to them. Surely wouldn't mind a new VC texture set with a lot less wear and tear.

Thanks very much Milviz/Black Bird/Shrike for this fantastic rendition of the venerable F-86 Sabre !! Going to enjoy that in every MSFS version in the pipeline ! I'm sure !!

The GPS is optional. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    And bought today!
    Dang it, Priller !! I wanted to be first here !...

Alrighty then! Made my day, week, month, maybe, who knows, year !

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    And a good thing too, Denny !

Nice screenies !

She's something, hé !?

Brilliant shots guys!!

Hope the repainters will take her on. I'm already missing the 32 FIS Wolfhounds paint of the original Milviz bird!

And of course MiG Mad Marine, Darling Dottie, ... The possibilities are almost endless!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post

Nice shot of the RCAF bird Denny.

What Comox scenery are you using? I don’t have any statics (or much else apart from a few buildings) on the .to version I found.

Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    loving this machine !!!

(apart from the sounds, has nothing to do with the beauty of this model, i guess you can't have it all for this price)
    I believe the sounds are a bit of a work in progress, since there was some stuff that wasn't entirely finished (due to recordings coming in late) for the initial release.

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Nice shot of the RCAF bird Denny.

What Comox scenery are you using? I don’t have any statics (or much else apart from a few buildings) on the .to version I found.

Thx.
    It’s the SinAddons Comox scenery. Their Canadian airports are really well done.

https://simaddons.com/pages/simaddons_cyqq_msfs.htm

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

A stupid question from a stupid boy (if you know, you know): what is the white light where the co-pilot's seat would be?

A pleasant surprise and it is quite nice at the price point. No complaints from me!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by azflyboy View Post
    I believe the sounds are a bit of a work in progress, since there was some stuff that wasn't entirely finished (due to recordings coming in late) for the initial release.
    Yes, i can imagine that the sound suite will be worked on a bit more to bring it up to the quality of the visual- and flight model which are absolutely excellent if you ask me. I just watched a Jon Beckett video flying the Shrike F-86 thru the Starwars Canyon and i might just believe it all sounds a bit better than my own experience. He talks about updates as well. Remarkably there's not really much difference between the internal and external sound during flight but that's not at full throttle. Overall it's not bad but it's not 'strikingly impressive' neither. I know full well that particularly representing jetfighter sounds inside and out in a flight simulator is a major challenge (not that developing a prop aircraft soundsuite is easy, far from it. It's just easier to recognise a great prop aircraft soundsuite. Luckily there are several ).

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    A stupid question from a stupid boy (if you know, you know): what is the white light where the co-pilot's seat would be?
    Stupid questions there are non, stupid boys i've met a few, i'm sure you weren't amongst them. That thing underneath the canopy is not a white light, it could've been modeled a bit more detailed. It's the ARN-6 Antenna Loop Assembly that serves the Radio Compass.

And since we're talking details, according to the external model this aircraft has no brakes because the're simply not there.

The brakes on a real F-86 :

No brakes on the Shrike F-86 :

Obviously the flange doesn't turn with the wheel.

Oh well, we're used to a good bit of imagination. You might not be familiar with Sublogic FSII on a Commodore 64, that's where it all started. We had to imagine literally EVERYTHING but the runway, a rudimentary external aircraft model and panel. We can imagine a few brake claws, can't we.

SOH-CM-2024
    It's not nice to turn a prop junkie into a nozzle head! Christ is this thing nice. Priller, it appears the PS layered textures in the Milviz FSX conversion will work just fine for a paint kit. Hopefully Jankees will do his thing.

Cazzie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f86f_kdan.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	93706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f86f_port_cujpg.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	93705

Does this Sabre use WWise sounds (e.g. does the volume/tone etc. change when the canopy is opened/closed, among other things)?

Is the gunsight collimated?

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    It's not nice to turn a prop junkie into a nozzle head! Christ is this thing nice. Priller, it appears the PS layered textures in the Milviz FSX conversion will work just fine for a paint kit. Hopefully Jankees will do his thing.

Cazzie

In a meeting of Prop Junkies and Nozzle Heads Anonymous:

"Hi, my name is Priller, and I haven't flown a prop or jet in 30 minutes, I feel awful!!"

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    In a meeting of Prop Junkies and Nozzle Heads Anonymous:

"Hi, my name is Priller, and I haven't flown a prop or jet in 30 minutes, I feel awful!!"

Priller
    Now, THAT is funny.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post

Cazzie

The paintkit will be released in a few days, once all the included liveries have been corrected. It includes all rough-met and ambient occlusion layers separately for each one so it would be quite convenient to make new ones.

If the non-US skins are still being corrected, I respectfully offer a few tips in case Shrike is reading.

CANADA
    For the lettering I recommend starting with my font RCAF_60SQ_ATH, which sometimes has a _GIMP or other suffix in versions spread around the web. Note that there are variations of the letters and numbers embedded in this font. Unshifted, it types the variation that I found to be most common in my research With Shift, a second variation is presented for many of the letters and numbers, often the more squared version more commonly seen post-1960s. Sometimes I found a third variation that I wanted to incorporate, and mapped that to some unused key. for example, Shift-semicolon gives you a third variation of the numeral 0, the quotation mark is a third variation of the numeral 2, the apostrophe is a third numeral 6, and so forth. Try variations and see what is closest, then you can edit.

For the roundel, somewhere on the keyboard I put an accurate vector dingbat of the RCAF maple leaf, but I can't recall where! If you find it, you can scale and center it in the roundel. I believe the proportions of the blue and white in the roundel were the same as the RAF type D, i.e., the white disc is 2/3 the diameter of the blue disc. This is not the same as the current roundel with the post-1967 leaf from the Canadian flag. Note that on almost all RCAF Sabres, with a few exceptions such as the Golden Hawks, the wing roundels were not aligned with the direction of flight, they were turned inward to align with the wing sweep.

NORWAY
    My font RAF_WW2_851ATH is pretty close to the buzz letters on the Norwegian aircraft, and again there are some variations. My shifted M is closer to the Norwegian than the lower case M. The letter A used by Norway is unusual and will need to be done by hand.

On the Norwegian roundel, the fat side of the triangle always faces forward; I think it is meant to represent a flag or pennant with the mast on the fat side. In the trailer, the roundel on the left fuselage incorrectly had the triangle point-forward.

August

" For the roundel, somewhere on the keyboard I put an accurate vector dingbat of the RCAF maple leaf, but I can't recall where!"

SHIFT 1 for the early Silver Leaf, and SHIFT 2 for the modern 11-point leaf.

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    The paintkit will be released in a few days, once all the included liveries have been corrected. It includes all rough-met and ambient occlusion layers separately for each one so it would be quite convenient to make new ones.
    Thanks much Dimus, I was looking at the .psd textures included with the previous FSX conversion and they looked the same. But there were no other layers than the master textures. The F-86 has always been my favorite jet ever since I saw the movie "The Hunters", good movie for the time it was made, 1958 I believe. They used swept-wing F-84s for the MiGs.

Cazzie

Name:	skyblazers_3.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	93722

Members who have read this thread: 214