Possible to convert MSFS texture to FSX?

Thread: Possible to convert MSFS texture to FSX?

Possible to convert MSFS texture to FSX?

Hi,
    I don't belong here (no MSFS) but a long standing SOH member.
    Is there a way to convert freeware exterior MSFS repaints for use in FSX/P3D? For example, there are repaints for the Carenado Pilatus but when I try to view the textures in dxt.bmp I don't see anything. There may be some way to covert them to FSX/P3D useable format?
    Grateful for your guidance.
    expat
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Yes, with photoshop or gimp
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Thanks Jankees. When I try to open a texture with either DXT.BMP or GIMP I see nothing. I have no idea what format these MSFS textures use. Looks like png or dds but not the same as FSX?
    However, I also tried the MCX texture converter tool and think I can use it to the texture into a "normal" DDS that I work with in DXT.BMP and GIMP or MS paint. Does that make any sense?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Thanks Jankees. When I try to open a texture with either DXT.BMP or GIMP I see nothing. I have no idea what format these MSFS textures use. Looks like png or dds but not the same as FSX?
    However, I also tried the MCX texture converter tool and think I can use it to the texture into a "normal" DDS that I work with in DXT.BMP and GIMP or MS paint. Does that make any sense?
    I don't do textures anymore but a while ago i was curious to see what could be done with MSFS aircraft textures. Just in case...

I just clicked a png.dds texture from the texture folder of one of my aircraft models, f.i. 'FUSELAGE_ALBEDO.PNG.DDS' and a menu appeared with some paint programs i use. Non of 'em would work until i clicked 'Paint.Net' et voila there it is in full glory. I even tried changing some stuff, save the texture under its original name (made a copy first) and checked the model in MSFS. All changes i made showed up, everything looked fine. So it seems a child can do the laundry (another famous dutch saying meaning Bob's Your Uncle or something like that )

Actually i have no idea how or why i got Paint.net, Paintshop Pro is my main fav paintprogram (won't open dds files), but it seems it is very happy to work with dds texture files. It's a freeware proggy that you can download here https://www.dotpdn.com/downloads/pdn.html

I'd say give it a try and be amazed. I sure was !

P.S. Unfortunately i can't remember exactly how to work with dds files in FSX/P3D. Some conversion might be needed but on the other hand might not.... I just tried one of my own FSX textures (from the FSX aircraft folder) and Paint.net opens it up no problemo. I don't have a working FSX/P3D anymore so i can't check the result after saving the file with Paint.net. But you might just be lucky.. ;-)

Appreciate your good suggestions Javis - off to do more experimenting - thanks.

With Photoshop, you can use this plugin to enable open/save of the new DDS formats:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ks-plugin.html
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Members who have read this thread: 67