Korean Skies F-86A Operation Stovepipe skins
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Korean Skies F-86A Operation Stovepipe skins

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries

Foo Fighter's F-86 reworks question ?

Foo Fighter, can you please upload your F-86's if you still have them. Most wanted. They look so lovely. Thought i had them somewhere ,but can not find then in my archive . Thanks so much if you can. Regards ,Scott

Blog Entries
    I've not heard from Barry for ages, hope he's ok.
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Still alive and kicking Clive! Unfortunately, life has kept me away from CFS3 for some months

@Scott - Will do. I'll try to upload a few at a time over the next week or two.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FOO FIGHTER View Post
    Still alive and kicking Clive! Unfortunately, life has kept me away from CFS3 for some months

@Scott - Will do. I'll try to upload a few at a time over the next week or two.
    I'm very glad to hear that you're ok Barry!

Blog Entries
    Thank you Barry ! Glad you are still with us. Been a while . Thanks again bro ! Regards, Scott

Been cleaning up the F-86A template a bit. Should have two examples from operation Stovepipe uploaded by the end of the weekend.

The F-86E and F templates will take a bit longer

Blog Entries
    Fantastic ! Thank you for bringing them back to life. Love the DPC Korea expansion ! Regards,Scott

I love the Korea expansion too. I have an unexplainable fascination with the F-86 this allows me to act it out a little.

I love looking at the cutaway one we have at the museum.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Vi...n-f-86h-sabre/
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    How awesome it would be to live near there Andy ! On my bucket list of places to go. Wonderful displays there at the National Air Force Museum . I envy you Sir ! Regards, Scott

I sincerely apologize for the delay. I suddenly got strapped for time this past week and had to pay my attentions elsewhere. Going through some final details now. Stay tuned.

Blog Entries
    Great news ! Thank you !

Finally uploaded! I apologize again for the delay.

A taste of what's on deck:

Will eventually upload new skins for drop tanks/pylons, napalm cannisters and a new XDP with effects.

Korean Skies F-86A Operation Stovepipe skins

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 3 American Skins

Description: These two skins/repaints are for the F-86A "Squanee" from DPC's Korean Skies (CFS3). They represent F-86A-5-NA's fom the 336th FS/4th FW participating in Operation Stovepipe during the summer of 1951.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Korean Skies F-86A Operation Stovepipe skins
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Blog Entries
    Wonderful Barry! We really could do with a 'like' button!

Thank you Clive!

Forgot to mention in the main upload details that they are in 2048 resolution and include a new bump map.

Blog Entries
    Absolutely gorgeous ! Thank you !

I was looking for information online, but came up empty - what was Operation Stovepipe?

Stovepipe consisted of three Sabres painted with olive drab/green upper surfaces to help hide them from enemy aircraft that may be above them. Single aircraft flew over the Yalu river providing weather recon and acting as radio relays for allied patrol/strike ops during the summer of 1951. I could only locate photos of two examples of the three Sabres which had inconsistent application of the paint.

I searched through my Sabre books and could find only 1 photo of a camouflaged Korean Operations Sabre. Copyright doesn't allow me to post the photo, but it is on the last page of F-86 Sabre in Action by Larry Davis, 1992 Squadron/Signal Publications. Carrollton Texas. There are plenty of post war camouflage schemes though.

Quote Originally Posted by FOO FIGHTER View Post
    Stovepipe consisted of three Sabres painted with olive drab/green upper surfaces to help hide them from enemy aircraft that may be above them. Single aircraft flew over the Yalu river providing weather recon and acting as radio relays for allied patrol/strike ops during the summer of 1951. I could only locate photos of two examples of the three Sabres which had inconsistent application of the paint.
    Thanks for the info!

@WesCov - I have that book and the Sabre you referenced belonged to 1Lt. Don Torres which is represented in my Stovepipe skins.

I located a second picture of Torres' Sabre here:

http://yocumusa.com/

It appears everything was painted over, stencils and all. Only the national insignia and FU-XXX number seems to be applied over the paint.

That is really something. The book caption says that the camouflage experiment was a failure and that it was actually easier to see than when all silver. You can kind of see why from the photo: http://yocumusa.com/sweetrose/images.../336fu281a.jpg

The olive drab is almost black -- you'd probably see a black dot moving across the landscape!

Thanks for the website reference, it is just packed with Sabre history.

I try not to trust solely on museum or art renderings too much when they depict vintage aircraft. I would argue that most of the time they get colors and markings wrong (I'm sure they do their best). Looking at models and art of Torres' Stovepipe Sabre, they are depicted as FU-261/8261. Looking at the two photos (Squadron Signal book and yocumusa website) of Torres' Sabre taken during Stovepipe one can clearly see that the actual numbers are FU-281/8281. In the photos the fuselage number (FU-281) can be obscured by shadow or sun light but the tail number (8281) gives it away after zooming in.

You're right, the paint proved to be ineffective and actually reduced the Sabre's speed by 20 MPH.

Here's a nice summary of the difficulty with finding the right camouflage for any particular situation.

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/AD0850688.pdf

Ultimately, whatever you select will be "wrong" most of the time because you are not typically being seen under the optimal design conditions (lighting, orientation, distance, weather).

p.s. This is even worse now, in that the spectrum we have to be concerned about extends well beyond the visible light spectrum (UV, infrared, radar, radio, audio, etc.).
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members who have read this thread: 45