Request help on getting CFS2 to work with Windows 11

Thread: Request help on getting CFS2 to work with Windows 11

Request help on getting CFS2 to work with Windows 11

I saw a post titled "Windows 11 - CFS2 installed but only runs with low graphics." I tried the steps in that forum, installing the game in a custom folder in my C drive after the normal install did not work. I disabled my adblocker to download the zip file CFS2_Windows10_Install_Tutorial.zip, but that did not work either. I am 34 and not extremely tech savvy, but I am familiar with the basics of computing as most people my age are. I also tried running the game in compatibility mode and ran the Windows troubleshooter, but that did not fix the problem.

What happens is the game installs but when I go to open the game, I get a window that says something like launch the exe for the game and when I click yes it goes away and I am back to my normal desktop. So, the game just never starts.

Can anyone help me get this game to work? My computer is pretty new. I got it about a year and a half ago.

Sincerely,
    Flying Is Fun

"I get a window that says something like launch the exe for the game and when I click yes it goes away"

Huh....

Screen of this window please.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

It was not letting me take a screenshot so I took a picture of it and copied the picture because it would not recognize the format of the picture when I tried to attach it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Window opened when CFS2 shortcut icon clicked.png  

Using the No CD patched .exe? Because the behavior of CFS2 not starting after clicking "Yes" is what happens if you try to start CFS2 with the stock CFS2.exe. Also this popup should only be a one time thing or at lest was with Win10.

The stock CFS2.exe doesn't work on up to date Win7 as MS removed SafeDisc via update. SafeDisc doesn't work on Win, 8, 10 or 11 so the No CD patched .exe is required.

That helped a lot thanks. Now, it is crashing every time I try to start a flight, but, at least, the game starts! I am troubleshooting right now. Maybe I can figure out some work around.
    I found this online, but following the steps there has not worked for me. Installing Combat Flight Simulator 2 (CFS2) on Windows 10 (randomstuffbyakshay.blogspot.com) Think I am going to try another restart then a full shutdown and see what happens.

With Win10 I haven't needed compatibility mode my self. Also is the game crashing or just locking up? Using stock aircraft?

No matter what I try it just crashes or closes. I have seen the inside of an aircraft twice this evening, but when I did the exact same thing a second time I did not get as far as being able to control the aircraft before it kicked me out. I flew for maybe eight to ten seconds before the program shut down and the F-15 I have as my wallpaper came back into view on my desktop. That is what happens every time I try to start a flight. It also crashes whenever I go to advanced info before I try to start a flight.

Yes, I am using the basic aircraft that came with the game.
    Last edited by Flying Is Fun; March 19th, 2024 at 17:25. Reason: To answer his last question

So to me it sounds like it is crashing anytime the game tries to render 3d graphics. Have you added DxWrapper or DDrawCompat? if no.

Could you try DLing this https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawComp...pat-v0.5.1.zip and put the DDraw.dll into the same folder as the CFS2.exe and see if that make CFS2 more stable?

That unfortunately did not work. I appreciate all of your help! I restarted my computer after I extracted the file and did a full shut down, but still no dice. The only thing I did was put Corsair_Freak's unofficial patch in the main folder when troubleshooting before going back and deleting only those files. Should I uninstall and restart everything from the beginning? I also tried reducing the graphics to level 1, but the program still shuts down when I try a flight or try opening advanced info and kicks me back out to my desktop.

What I would do is write down the directory that CFS2 is installed at. Uninstall CFS2. Make sure no files from the old install files are left.

Do a RESTART. Starting with Win 8 MS added "Fast Boot" and this means when you use "Shut Down" the PC isn't really shut down but is put into a hibernation like mode with what some program where doing is saved to the HDD/SSD.

Than Reinstall CFS2 (Make sure to click on the Complete. Install all files. during the install.) DO NOT install to the default C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2 Use something like C:\Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2

Add the No CD patch. Do a RESTART. Than try starting CFS2.
    Last edited by Allen; March 20th, 2024 at 12:48.

Thank you for all of your help and suggestions. I tried that just now and it did not work. I actually did it incorrectly, so I uninstalled it a second time a few minutes ago and followed your instructions exactly. Unfortunately, the same thing is still happening.

These ideas are shots in the dark.

Check the settings and see if you can Enable hardware acceleration. Likely you can't with out DxWrapper or DDrawCompat so add the DDrawCompat ddraw.dll to the main folder with the CFS2.exe so you can Enable hardware acceleration.

Next are you flying full screen or windowed mode? (Alt+Enter to change) Maybe if your flying full screen with a Screen resolution too low for Win11?

Screen shots in Win11

Yo FIF;

Easy screen shots in Win11
    Win+Shift+S brings up the "Snipping Tool"

Saved in Pictures/Screenshots
    Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

It looks like hardware acceleration was enabled for me by default.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CFS2 display settings.png  

Huh. Hardware acceleration has been grayed out for people on Win10 unless the card was a older Win7 era card. Do you have DxWrapper or DDrawCompat installed? In the resolution do you have any that end in x32? If you can find 1024x768x32 please try that. 1024x768 is the resolution. 32 is the color depth.

Members who have read this thread: 56