How to Get Rid of "Permission Required" Messages in FS9

Thread: How to Get Rid of "Permission Required" Messages in FS9

How to Get Rid of "Permission Required" Messages in FS9

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 and reinstalled FS9 I've been getting "permission required" prompts (see screen shot) every time I attempt to modify or copy a file in the sim. It's a show-stopper for making changes inside the sim. If I drag and drop the file onto my desktop and make the change there, I can put the file back in the FS9 aircraft folder and it works but it's a clumsy routine for making simple cfg changes. The permission prompt tells me administrator permission is required but I am the admin for my PC. I noticed I now have the same problem in CFS2 but not FSX. I'd like to permanently disable the permissions thing altogether. If anybody can help me it would be much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Permission.jpg  

Hi,
    The best way is to reinstall the offending applications outside the "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)"directories. E.g. c:\Flightsims\fs2004 or whatever you prefer.
    Copiing all files from the current location to such a directory might also work. (Microsoft has added special properties to the program files directory)

Regards,
    Jan

Icon5

Hi T,
    Yes, above will work, but if you have any other interactive programmes or addons with Fs9, then they will need sorting out.

You could try an easier one first....go to the Fs9.exe location, and look in exe properties, go to the Security tab. Click on Edit (change permissions) and then tick allow full control, apply at bottom and then OK. Come out, then restart PC, start Fs9, and hopefully (and if it doesn't, you won't upset anything by doing this, or if you want go back and untick full control, apply and OK again to change to the original setting) this will stop that annoying pop-up!

Cheers

Shessi

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by mooringj View Post
    Hi,
    The best way is to reinstall the offending applications outside the "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)"directories. E.g. c:\Flightsims\fs2004 or whatever you prefer.
    Copiing all files from the current location to such a directory might also work. (Microsoft has added special properties to the program files directory)

Regards,
    Jan
    Yep, the dreaded Install in the Default Drive - unable to edit cfg's issue!

Copying the whole FS folder out of the Root directory will solve the issue.
    A little housekeeping will be needed afterwards. Some, if not all payware might have to be re-installed & a registry fix tool used to tell the registry that FS has been moved.
    Doing it a couple of times becomes second nature, and, as i'm using Windows 11, I run in XP compatibility mode & as Admin.

I hope that I haven't confused you..
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Hi T,
    Yes, above will work, but if you have any other interactive programmes or addons with Fs9, then they will need sorting out.

You could try an easier one first....go to the Fs9.exe location, and look in exe properties, go to the Security tab. Click on Edit (change permissions) and then tick allow full control, apply at bottom and then OK. Come out, then restart PC, start Fs9, and hopefully (and if it doesn't, you won't upset anything by doing this, or if you want go back and untick full control, apply and OK again to change to the original setting) this will stop that annoying pop-up!

Cheers

Shessi
    That would work but I'd also move the main folder directly to the main drive as also mentioned.
    If Tarps is running more RAM than usual (8 to 16 Gig), he can also run the 4 Gig Patch and double the RAM that FS can use.
    The 4 Gig Patch doesn't work on folders inside the Program Files (X86) folder.

I changed my FS2004 path to C:\fs9 when I first installed it and haven't looked back.

BTW, you can still get the "cannot save" hassle IF the CFG is watermarked by the author.
    What will happen is Win10 goes into Nanny Mode and will replace all those edits you did with the original CFG.

To get around this, highlight the CFG, right click and drag the entire CFG file out to the desktop using the "Copy" option.
    Then, delete the original CFG and drop the new copy into the aircraft folder.

Thank you everybody for your suggestions. Looks like I was successful in getting rid of the permission prompts in FS9 by following Shessi's instructions in post #3. Didn't work for CFS2 (yet) but I can easily move that sim to a location outside the Program Files (x86) folder. If the problem re-occurs with FS9 I'll move it as well, but for now I'll leave it alone. I did not know about the glitch with the Program Files folders in Windows 10... It's great to solve a problem and get a little smarter at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    ... I did not know about the glitch with the Program Files folders in Windows 10...
    The sad thing is that it's not a glitch. MS actually made it that way on purpose!

As mooringj said. Don't install anything to the "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)"directories and if you did you need to move it or if you have to uninstall/reinstall and not reinstall into "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)".
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    The sad thing is that it's not a glitch. MS actually made it that way on purpose!

..yep.

All we can do is find ways to work around these great features.

"Roger that" to Mick, Allen, and Sbob. I hate these MS "nanny" features (as Sbob called them) that are supposed to protect your system and files but they're more of a pain (you know where) than a benefit. When I first google-searched my problem there were all kinds of posts and tutorials under "how do I disable/delete/get rid of permissions?". I'm the only user, I have virus software, I do backups, etc. etc. I just want to access and modify my files without a hassle.

I have my Lose 10's User Account Control (UAC) set to "never notify" and it still dose this and also locks me out of files when I'm the Admin. Just dumb.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I have my Lose 10's User Account Control (UAC) set to "never notify" and it still dose this and also locks me out of files when I'm the Admin. Just dumb.
    Same here, Allen. I reset the UAC to "never notify" back in January thinking that would eliminate the shield annotations on desktop shortcuts and the annoying prompts for "administrator permission required" when I already had admin privileges. Nothing really changed. Seems like you just can't kill some of these MS "nanny" features.

Perhaps you should try “TweakUAC” which is available from Winability Software as a free download at version 1.1.

https://www.winability.com/tweak-uac/

I have been using it for many years with no problems, and it takes away many of those annoying messages, though not every single one of them. I should tell you that I am still using Win7 Pro SP1 and have no idea how well it will work with any later versions of Windows.

Hope it helps . . .

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Thank you everybody for your suggestions. Looks like I was successful in getting rid of the permission prompts in FS9 by following Shessi's instructions in post #3. Didn't work for CFS2 (yet) but I can easily move that sim to a location outside the Program Files (x86) folder. If the problem re-occurs with FS9 I'll move it as well, but for now I'll leave it alone. I did not know about the glitch with the Program Files folders in Windows 10... It's great to solve a problem and get a little smarter at the same time.
    I'm sure I posted about this in the tips and tricks section under the Win10 thread sometime ago now

Ttfn

Pete

Probably the easiest way to get rid of this, is set folder permission settings and taking Full Control(Read/Write) of the FS folder for your current Windows user account(admin).

Quote Originally Posted by ToniJH View Post
    Probably the easiest way to get rid of this, is set folder permission settings and taking Full Control(Read/Write) of the FS folder for your current Windows user account(admin).
    I did that, and also removed read-only restrictions from the entire FS9 folder and I think my FS9 permissions problem has been resolved. I am able to access and modify .cfg and .txt files for all my aircraft. I moved CFS2 to its own location on my C:\ drive and I have full access to those files as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Members who have read this thread: 70